New to towing with 2012 Edge SE

Hello everyone! I had a Dodge quad cab that I traded in for a 2012 Edge SE. Wasn't driving the truck much due to gas prices and got only about 11 or 12 mpg. LOVE the Edge, though it doesn't have the carrying ability of the truck.

Ok I thought get a trailer, I had installed a CURT cat II hitch, no cutting into plastic needed! I came across a 5 x 10 trailer with taller sides, very well built. Weighs about 700 pounds. Figured wood comes in 10 ft lengths I could move some with it, high sides to keep more camping stuff from falling out. I could go on and on what to do with trailer.

With no towing package installed How much weight can I put into the trailer without overtaxing the vehicle. I can only guess the more people or cargo inside the less in the trailer, is that a direct movement of weight? One pound in car means one less pound in trailer?

Any and all answers are most welcomed

Thank You.

Ok the owners manual says I can only have 909 pounds of people and cargo to stay within axle safety limits. Is cjd3 correct? Can I tow up to 3500 pounds (including trailer) without messing up the engine, tranny or brakes. I am thinking max I would tow is 1800 pounds.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...