Stock 22 Sport Wheels - Matte Black w Vinyl or Plasti Dip?

confuego

New owner of white 2011 Edge Sport... and after the first few days, I am loving my new ride.

I have already removed all badges except the sport badge... which I painted matte black with Plasti Dip. Wow... amazing stuff.

I am considering changing the color of the stock 22" wheels... either wrapping with matte black vinyl or spraying with Plasti Dip...

And, re coloring the front grill to match... including the chrome strip that runs along the bottom edge of the hood.

Wondering if anybody has done something similar? And if so, do you have any photos?

I am happy with the shape and look of the stock wheels... and think that they might look sweet in matte.

another idea... keep the gloss black areas of the wheels, and only matte the chrome...

thanks to all of you who document and share your work... it is a big help and much appreciated.

and if you're interested... here is a photo of my new ride and my newly plasti dipped Sport Badge.

EdgeBadgeRemove And Blackout (10 Of 11)

EdgeBadgeRemove And Blackout (1 Of 11)

thanks again.

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new ride!

I have wrapped my grill in metallic black 3M wrap. It had its challenges and took about 2 hours to do. I have no idea how long it would take to wrap your wheels in vinyl, but it seems like it would be considerably more difficult than what it took to wrap my grill. Have you wrapped wheels in vinyl before? I just ordered a kit to plastidip my wheels in matte black. I think for the price and the effort that it will require, well worth going with that option. Ive seen that a good application takes about one can per wheel. I don't know what your plastidip experience is, but here is what I have found out in research.

A fast and easy way to protect your rotors from plastidip is to take a trash bag and fold it in half length wise. Then cut along the long folded edge of the bag about 70% up to the top (should look like a pair of pants). Slide the bag behind the wheel and cover the rotor by placing "crotch" area of the trash bag at the top of the rotor and droping each side around the remainder of the exposed rotor. Tuck the bag around the back side of the rotor to make sure it is completely covered and doesn't move. Then plastidip until you wheels are done! When you remove the trash bag, make sure the dip is dry, reach your hand through a large spoke of your tire, and bunch up the bag in your fist BEFORE you pull it through. This will help minimize any mess ups and it will come out pretty easily. IMHO, this is a much better way than taping off your rotors and a huge time saver.

I really like your two-tone idea by keeping your shiny black on your wheels. To maintain a clean line against the two colors when your dipping, you will have to remove the painters tape when the application of plastidip is still wet. Still do your 3-4 coats, but you will want to wait 45 sec to 1 min before adding your next coat. Pulling the tape up while its still wet will ensure a surgical line. This process might take some practice because it requires much faster application of coats than normal. I think normally you wait about 15-30 mins before adding additional coats. You will need to make sure that your application technique is good, clean, and steady to avoid hazy or bubbly finishes.

Well, I hope that you didn't already know all this information and that I could help with your decision a bit. This is what I will be doing. Welcome to the forum and I look forward to finding out which direction your going to go with your wheels! Post pics when you can.

Oh, this is where I ordered my Plastidip from:

http://www.dipyourcar.com/

I can't drive down the road and pick this stuff up, because I live in Germany, so this was a good alternative. I bought the wheel kit and the spray trigger. Came out to $43 shipped.

Edited by Cellbine