2011 Edge Transmission fluid change

R@cerb0y

My friend the former FoMoCo transmission engineer says if there is enough junk to clog the filter the tranny is already toast.

That is why the Ford service guy in the video states that the fluid should be changed at 30k intervals to prevent the gunk from building up in Ford transmissions with non-serviceable filters like in the Edge and toasting the transmission.

Here is another good informative video that better explain why.

Edited by carguy75

I have always believed you need to find a good shop then establish a relationship, which in turn works out to be better for you in the future. by the way the machine purges all remaining new fluid from the reseviour first before it purges the old fluid. the reseviour is funnel shaped at the bottom so the remaining fluid is really nothing. I believe they designed the machine with this exchange fear in mind. Also note the machine has set purging sequences so you do not forget to empty the old fluid.

LOL. I do clean funnels after I use them, but even if I did not i doubt that the residue from a funnel would be even close in comparison to putting a quart or more of incorrect fluid in my transmission.

However, most transmission fluids are similar I heard, but automatic transmissions from car makes like Honda for example are very sensitive to non-OEM fluids.

I have no ideal how sensitive Ford transmissions are to different fluid mixes.

All said and done, I would trust the shop you used since they seem to be on top of their game when it comes to correctly flushing a transmission.

However, not all shops are as competent as the one you use so we(owners looking for shops in our areas) need to use a bit of caution before we let any shop flush our transmissions or avoid flushing it altogether..

I have always believed you need to find a good shop then establish a relationship, which in turn works out to be better for you in the future. by the way the machine purges all remaining new fluid from the reseviour first before it purges the old fluid. the reseviour is funnel shaped at the bottom so the remaining fluid is really nothing. I believe they designed the machine with this exchange fear in mind. Also note the machine has set purging sequences so you do not forget to empty the old fluid.

Again, your shop is a good base to use as a indicator for a shop to use.

One that has a newer flush machine that is idiot-proof when it comes to purging old fluid, and the shop seem to have knowledgeable techs.

However, we can not just say that every shop is that way or has the newest flush machines.

Hence the problem with having a transmission flushed by machine and why so many mechanics warn against having it done.

You are apparently one of the lucky ones that have found a solid facility that does the job right, but I have the feeling that your shop is not the majority.

Also you are not the average car owner, because you flush your transmissions before it get too far gone unlike many owners who only take care of something when it breaks and never do preventive maintenance.

Add that to your fine choice in repair shop equals a wonderful transmission flush story with a happy ending. :thumbsup:

However, will we all be that lucky and have such a wonder outcome after a machine fluid flush like you if we go to different shops?

That is the question and a very important concern.

Edited by carguy75

Yes the shop I use is a family operated business and longtime employees. If you go to a Jiffylube the kid changing your transmission fluid was most likely hired twenty minutes before you arrived. Not to say all are that way but.......you get the picture.

Just a note the video of my transmission flush. Gary "the owner" is the one that has done all my video work and and is supportive in helping. It is good for him also. I may also add very openly Christian which reflects in their service.

• Like 1