Door Handle Sensors Not Responding

Over the past week I have been having issues with my driver's side door handle sensors and keypad. The passenger side door works fine. Maybe 35% of the time, the front door doesn't respond to any touches. Touches to lock it by touching the front bump, to unlock it by sticking my hand behind the door handle, and the numbered keypad does not respond. My FOB has new batteries in it and functions as normal. Remote start, locking and unlocking the car, and push to start all function properly with the FOB. In the past week I have also received warnings that my driver's side door is not closed. Sometimes I have to slam the door for the warning to go away. Also, there have been times when I go to lock the car by touching the handle and nothing works until I slam the door closed. Today, slamming the door didn't work and I had to use the FOB to lock it up.

I do not like slamming my car door and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what might be going on before I take it to the dealer. Is there anything I can check myself? If you need more info on what's going on, just let me know. Thanks!

What he ^ said ! The door sensor not thinking the door is full close is most likely the issue. The computer is thinking, "why unlock the door if its already open, silly human !"

Speaking of computer confusion, for those of you who have remote start ... press lock once and then start 3x's. The third time will shut the engine off right away. Now, try to remote start it ... you won't be able to .. and it'll just honk its horn at you in defiance. Waiting a few minutes or getting in and starting it from the seat will return it to normal operation ... weird.

Thanks guys for the input. We have to finish editing a video for our Youtube followers today, but I definitely want to try and go on base to get some WD-40. Ill let you how it turns out.

Thanks for the tip Tacyon. I have also noticed that my Edge does this with the remote start. I wait or just get in a start it like you stated.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, It's been over a week and I have lubed up the door locking mechanism several times and I am still getting the same problem. It helps if I toggle the manual lock/unlock button on the car door. If I toggle it back and forth a few times it will eventually respond. I have relatives flying in to visit for the weekend, so I will be taking it to the dealer after they leave. I should not be having this issue on a car that is 1 year old. Disappointing. Still love her though.

• 2 months later...

So, my Edge finally went to the shop today to get repaired. I was worried about it too because this whole week the door has been functioning perfectly. I always hear the phrase, if we can't see the problem we can't fix it, so I was hoping it wouldn't work when I arrived. When I got out of the car the door didn't respond! So I had a tech come and look at it and they said that they would get it fixed under warranty. Very happy about that. Just waiting for the call to go pick it up.

Well, went to pick up the car and they said after they brought it into the garage the problem wouldn't repeat itself. So they looked at the wiring and the mechanism and everything looked and worked fine. They said they drove it down a bumby road and the door still worked.... So they didn't fix it because they couldn't see the problem. How ridiculous is that?! I showed it to them in the parking lot. I was pretty upset. They said if it happens again, to bring it in and leave it for 2 days. They told me they would be able to see the problem for sure then :gang:. I was able to keep my composure at the dealer, but my point is that I showed them when it wasnt operational and they said they could fix it but they didn't. Now they want me to bring it in when it doesnt work again so they can fix it? Didn't I just do that? :banghead:

At this point, I would be good and ticked off, probably more like pissedm off! Next time it happens, go right to the dealer, don't shut the car off or anything, and DEMAND that they look at it immediately, not hours or a day later. Back in '93, I had a problem with the brakes on my SHO, dealer couldn't replicate the problem, so next time it happened, I went right back down to them and told them that if they didn't get right on it, I was going to drive off, and come back in and crash into their nice glass entryway. Boy, shook them up a bit, bbut they did get right to the car.

I went right back down to them and told them that if they didn't get right on it, I was going to drive off, and come back in and crash into their nice glass entryway. Boy, shook them up a bit, bbut they did get right to the car.

Haha, made me laugh. I would definately try that if I wasn't in Germany lol.

I think the weather might be effecting the functionality with it. As soon as it started getting cold over here, it started working properly. Im just tired of having to worry about it. For awhile there, I was climbing in through the passenger side of the vehicle. I don't want to go through that again...

• 1 month later...

They finally ordered and installed a new locking mechanism. The door works again but has a different noise and feel when the door locks. That's something that I can get over I guess, I'm just happy its working now. The germans that work at that garage just don't care about the customer. When I picked my Edge up it smelled like someone smoked in it. I brought it to their attention and of corse they denied it. First they said it was next to a car that had a smoking engine (pretty much was lied to my face). I told them I used to smoke and I know exactly what cigarette smoke smells like. Then they said the doors must have been open when someone was smoking next to it. I'm just tired of dealing with them, but I'm done with them for now...