You're doing it wrong - MFT, WTF?

I needed to vent ... and this is why I have a secondary nav screen/device in my Edge. People ask me why I have my Garmin 2455 mounted next to the drivers "A" pillar. Doesn't your Edge have navigation ... answer: yes. However, I don't want to be locked to the nav screen when routed. My Garmin is updated far more frequently (4-6 times per year). It routes better and as I learned today... you can't navigate to a address that is a rural fire number with MFT. Example .. try as I may, I was totally unable to speak the address of 5S345 Some St, Any Town (example address - duh) MFT simply doesn't know five south three forty (or four) five Some St. Then I tried to manually input this address and learned that since it doesn't know it you don't have the option to press "S" on the keyboard to enter the South part. Then, somehow I was able to get it to take this by modifying the order in which I was entering the address and ended up at a screen with all the correct address data but with no way to execute the Set as Destination command !! Grrrr ... strike three .. reached up to the Garmin and 20 seconds later was routed and I was on my way !!!

Was I doing it wrong ?

Has any one else run across this ?

And why do some of the simplest functions seem to have escaped the engineers at Ford ... did they not hand it to a "user" and say "play with this and tell me what you think" (rhetorical question)

I too get very frustrated with the nav, its lack of features and user friendliness compared to a cheap portable GPS unit. I can rarely get it to take a destination by voice commands but since we have bad backroung noise on phone calls I wonder if the mic performance affects the recognition. But beyond that frustration I have also noticed that the whole voice system needs an overhaul. In some places you can speak a number the way you normally would, and other times you have to say each number as a string...meaning if the address is two hundred forty five main street you need to say two four five main street. Even when I do it the way it wants it is hit and miss. As DellDell mentioned I have resorted to sending the addresses from Google and just say services when I get in and in a minute or so it is done.

Since we are talking about nav issues...does anyone know how select a POI along the route? I can't seem to figure this out. On my cheapo portable it is simple, there is a button just for POI along route and it even indicates how far off route. I found this feature helpful on long trips since we could all decide we were going to take a break in a set time period then look up the road for food and gas. But the MFT only seems to do nearby or in a city. The city would work if I knew where I was but if I did I wouldn't need the GPS.

Any problems I have had with Nav, and that is very few, I resolve by hitting the voice button, saying "services" then "directions" and go from there. Works reliably. I also go to an address on Google maps and send it to my Edge.

how do you send addresses from google maps?

Me four. I have completely given up on manually inputting nav info. Sad, but there is nothing intuitive about the manual input and some things on the nav are just inexplicable.

I use voice commands to route to a destination and when that doesn't work, I call Sync services like delldell does.

Peace,

DM

how do you send addresses from google maps?

Go to google maps and search out your destination, on the left side you'll see several options...directions, search nearby, save to map and more. Click more and then select send. In that window pick send to car then select car and most important you have to use the number linked to sync services. Then hit send and it will confirm it was sent. When you get in the car and phone is synced, hit the voice button and say services then just follow the prompts and it will set the point on the map. From there you can either touch the screen button to set as destination or hit voice button again and speak command.

Wow found out something interesting today...search for POI along route is available but I can only seem to gt there via voice commands. So the feature is there but unfortunately it didn't work well as it couldn't find any gas stations along the route even though there were five in the next mile. I'll have to play with it some more to see if I can get it working right.

As a side note today the MFT crashed, was a sad day since we have had far less issues since the rewrite. While not a perfect set up it has at least been reasonable, just hoping it isn't making a turn in the wrong direction...hoping the reboot cleared out any crap that was causing a problem.

Edited by wlepse

mine went for a good while after the update before it crashed but in the last month it's crashed twice but fixed it self and said it was performing scheduled maintenance. So they must have wrote the code where if it crashes they just tell you it's maintenance, haha.

I've had mine for a couple of months and only crashed once or twice in that time. Usually when I'm using its "off the beaten path" functions. (i.e. not your everyday functions)

So .. google not really an option when already IN your car. And path of least hassle for me is to just do it on my garmin mounted by the "A" pillar. 20 seconds and its done ! Oh well

Yeah I just had another bad experience with the nav. This is the second time I have had it route us in completely different ways depending on the direction of travel. Today we took my little guy down to see Thomas the Train and the routing there was terrible. I'll give you it got us there in about the same amount of time as coming back, but a good 50% of the roads were old oil and stone country roads with 35mph limits. It then put us on Rt 80 for a bit then slightly better county roads. On the way back it was all county roads with 45-50mph limits and seemed much more direct. Even though the route was better on the way home the system stopped giving any prompts...no voice no tones. I just really can't trust this system and can't comprehend how Ford can't get this right after all this time. Just so dissapointing.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to google maps and search out your destination, on the left side you'll see several options...directions, search nearby, save to map and more. Click more and then select send. In that window pick send to car then select car and most important you have to use the number linked to sync services. Then hit send and it will confirm it was sent. When you get in the car and phone is synced, hit the voice button and say services then just follow the prompts and it will set the point on the map. From there you can either touch the screen button to set as destination or hit voice button again and speak command.

I have tried this, and I get the error every time "error unable to send to car... check help" with a link. Which I am not sure why I get that. Any ideas? (selecting more --> send ---> car ---> entered make "ford" and my phone number.

I will try it again... On a side note, I really hate how I can't enter and then name a saved address using any form of space... like "John's House" or something has to be entered "Johnshouse" what's up with that???? and still not fixed from what I can tell... space bar is on the screen when updating but you aren't allowed to use it.

I have tried this, and I get the error every time "error unable to send to car... check help" with a link. Which I am not sure why I get that. Any ideas? (selecting more --> send ---> car ---> entered make "ford" and my phone number.

I will try it again... On a side note, I really hate how I can't enter and then name a saved address using any form of space... like "John's House" or something has to be entered "Johnshouse" what's up with that???? and still not fixed from what I can tell... space bar is on the screen when updating but you aren't allowed to use it.

It's a known bug. Add a hyphen instead of a space.

It’s time to trade our NON nav equipped 08.

WAS seriously considering buying a nav equipped 2013.

I was hoping that after 5 years the auto industry would be as good as the hand held’s.

Sadly NOT.

I just can’t understand why anyone would buy one?

Looks like I’ll stick with my TIRED :drop: and true net book loaded with Street and Trips with nav.

Upgraded to 2013 for $40 :reading: this yr.

Maybe factory NAV will be ready in another 4 or 5 yrs.

ab