I have a '08 Edge limited and am going to install HID kits for the lights.

First question is do i need a HID kit for hi beam and low bean and for the fog lights.. as in each gets there own separate kit?

Now onto the LED's. I've already swapped out most the of interior lights to LED's but can't figure out how to remove the plastic cover to the visor vanity lights, if anyone could explain or link to a video that could assist me would be great.

Next is i remember finding a link to a site that posted the bulbs that are used in the puddle lamps and reverse lights but can't find the link, if anyone could post the link so i can look them up or post the bulb types that i would need to swap to LED's

Thanks

-Cruz

Edited by NYEdge914

Yes, you will need two kits if you are gonna do both low and high beams. You may want to snoop around a little first and try to find out how HIDs perform in the older Edge's halogen reflectors. You probably won't be happy if the beam pattern is terrible or oncoming drivers are flashing you all the time because of glare. Are you trying to get better lighting or do you just like the way HIDs look? If you want brighter lights, the halogen low beam bulbs can be upgraded with very good results. If I remember correctly, I was able to use a 9005 bulb in place of the 9006 in the low beams of my 2010 which really boosted the lumens. Also, I think 9012 and 9011 HIR bulbs can be used in place of 9006 and 9005 bulbs which are the brightest of the halogens. One thing I know for sure is that the headlights on my 2010 were waaaay better then my 2011.

Edited by fishx65

NYEdge:

I had a first gen Edge with hi/low HIDs in the stock housing. The way I did it was that each had their own separate kit. H11 for the lows and 9005 for the highs. I did switch to a canbus ballast for my highs and had zero problems.

For your fogs, have you considered LED foglight bulbs, as found here: http://www.v-leds.com/H11/c515190-1-2/ ? The reason I am suggesting that would be to make it easier for you to deal with.

I wish I could help with the vanity mirrors in the first gen Edge as mine did not have them (much to my wife's chagrin).

If you have 9005's for the highs I would suggest looking at HIR bulbs. I had them in my last ride and they are very bright. You do give up a little intensity to HID but you gain faster response and less headaches since it is a filament bulb. Some of the HID kits don't like being turned on and off. I know some have gotten better in this regard but still it seems like you are stressing the ballast when you can get 90% of the performance easy with HIR. Check out this site on modifying the nothces to get them to fit. http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

Will probably go with the HID kits for the hi\lows, family friend owns a auto body\ modding shop and has couple ddm kits he will sell me for cheap so was checking if i would need 1 or 2 or 3.. might do the bulb for the fog lights if i see the HID kit is hard to install for the fog lights.

I tried playing with the vanity lights again today and no luck but i did install new LED reverse lights.. not hard unplugging a bulb and plugging in a new one haha

-Cruz

Edited by NYEdge914

Took about 2.5 hours to install all 3 hid kits - High beam, Low beam, Fog lights.

Was also thundering\raining all day so i took a deck umbrella and set it next to the truck, worked good.

The kits r 35w 6k bulbs

Will take pics of mounts tonight and post pics.

Used thick zip ties to hold the ballasts in place.

-Cruz

post-20220-0-22489400-1343898664_thumb.jpg

post-20220-0-36212700-1343898736_thumb.jpg

post-20220-0-70783600-1343898755_thumb.jpg

The first 3 photos are the passenger side HID mounts. I mounted the 2 ballasts on top of each other to thick wires that had like a heat wrap sleeve on them and where very secure and strong so i decided it was a good area to mount them. Also thought about windshield wiper fluid container but if u refill it and spill could lead to a problem and it ballasts can slide up and down and the coolant container (yellow container) gets hot-- i think thats coolant not sure. So those strong wires seemed to be the best spot i could see.

post-20220-0-33644300-1343942462_thumb.jpg

post-20220-0-55563600-1343942488_thumb.jpg

post-20220-0-76672500-1343942513_thumb.jpg

These 2 photos are the driver side HID ballasts mounts. I mounted these on the lower front side of the fuse box. Mounted the 2 ballasts on top of each other again and seems to work well. If theres any hazard of mounting the 2 ballasts on top of each other please do let me know so i can change it but i didn't see anything online saying it could cause any type of damage.

post-20220-0-63315100-1343942538_thumb.jpg

post-20220-0-73906500-1343942566_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

-Cruz

I didn't take before and after pictures of the beam patterns but the bulbs strew and lock into place so i wouldn't think they would be far off if even off compared to stock.. i could be wrong. I can take pictures of the low beam lights shining on a wall later tonight when it gets dark outside.

-Cruz