Buy a 2011,2012 SEL or Limited former rental from a dealer?

jimj

I've been shopping for an Edge to replace my 08 Tundra. After looking at some of the prices (new) and the depreciation that all new cars suffer I started looking at used. After looking for the last couple of weeks I've noticed about 99% are rental cars purchased at auction.

The prices are all over the board from a low of $20k to a high of $38k and milage goes from 1000 to 35000. I found a 2012 SEL leather w/14000 mi for $22k (former rental) that looks promising. I've also seen "comparable" Edges going up to $35k and thought "what the heck?"

The questions that I've got are:

1. Does anyone have any good reasons not to buy a low mileage former rental? I've bought 3 in my life and so far (knock wood) they've been great and quite a bit less money.

2. Does anyone have any recent Manheim/OVE auction results that gives me some solid info on what they're being sold for? I can only make some guesses by the retail pricing I'm seeing for groups of Edges.

3. What I'm looking for is power front seats (for us) and decent rear air for my new puppy wrapped in a vehicle that gets decent milage and is fun to drive.

I got my 2011 Black SEL that was a rental in NY w/28,XXX for $23,750 in Feb. The price of the 2012 sounds pretty low to me but if its legit I'd grab it quick, especially w/leather. Mine is AWD and I get 19-22 city and 25 on road trips. Good luck.

On a side note: The place I got it from checked it out and threw on some new front pads and rotors before I took delivery. When I got it home I had the local Ford Dealership do a free inspection on it and they said it looked brand new.

I just purchased a 2013 Edge Limited about 3 weeks ago. I traded in a Nissan Titan.

I started looking at used Certified Edges, and found that they were all rentals. The best I could do was a 2012 Limiited with 27,000 miles for $28,000. I then requested info on line from my local dealer, and he gave me employee pricing and $2500 rebate.So for a little more I got a 2013, with no miles, and got the drivers package and navigation, which I really wanted those 2 things.

The rentals were the base limited and most had a smell to them, All I looked at were black, which isn't good heat wise in Texas.

I love the Edge compared to the Titan.

While I really,really like my Tundra it's not very practical with my new Shepard who while only 40 lbs now should be around 90 lbs in the next 7 months or so not to mention the mpg isn't fantastic and the A/C doesn't do too well cooling the backseat. Here in AZ where it's been 115-117 deg for the last week and not below 90 for a couple of weeks the puppy has been miserable in the back.

I did a nationwide search with tight parameters and came up with the prices I posted. I didn't consider any non-franchise or secondary dealers and really tried to stick only to Ford dealers.

This searching is really a PIA but I've always found the best deals after digging for a while.

The last one was saving $20k on a new RV by going from MT to OK to get it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

Could I ask how you searched country wide for stock in this way? I could only game the system by entering a zip code from each state so far, which

Also wondering if you managed to specify a specific package with various options here, or was it more of a model based search?

Any hints appreciated! First time buying a car in the US (from the UK) and not overly familiar with the system.

Thanks,

N

• 1 month later...

Jim, not sure where you are at with your search but just wanted to throw in my .02. About two months ago I purchased a 2012 Certfied Pre-Owned Limited. Mileage was 20,3XX, got for $27,9XX. That was definitely on the higher end $-wise of the numerous I had looked at. Same thing though 99% of used that I looked at were prior rentals. Most of them that I looked at, you could definitely tell they were rentals. The one we found was just what we wanted - Ingot Silver with Black Leather Interior. The car is pretty damn clean, save for one small dent on the door that the dealer has "promised" to fix. True with rentals, you don't get much choice for options but even the base limited is a very nice vehicle in my opinion. It's worth the sacrifice to save the $10k or so.

Just keep looking, I'm sure you'll come across the diamond in the rough. The thought of rentals scared me at first but then I was thinking - I doubt people rent limited Edges and drive them like a POS...if it was a yaris or focus then I might be a little worried since those are the more commonly used rentals.

We bought our 2011 SE with 28,000 from Thrifty Car Sales. They were asking $20,184.00 and I got it for $19,500 out the door. The car had been in Georga since new and a clean car fax. It was located in Orlando which worked out for us because our daughter lives in Fl and we were planning a trip anyway. So we booked a flight, picked up the car and drove to my daughters for the weekend. No problems with the Edge except the normal transmission glitch on early 2011 models, which will be fixed Friday from a local dealer no charge. Here is a link to where I found our Edge..Good luck with your search...

http://www.thriftycarsales.com/

• 2 months later...

I'm taking a two hour drive tomorrow to look at a 2011 Limited with the 301A package (HID lights, Panorama roof, Nav and Driver Entry package) and 20" rims. It has 35,2xx miles and is only $21,500 - saving about $8500 from KBB dealer retail!

The reason for the low price is that it was subject to a manufacturer buyback because of the MyFordTouch system, which has been completely replaced and there is complete documentation concerning the issue, which I will check out tomorrow before I commit. The salesman has pulled it from the lot for me so I don't waste my trip.

The only thing I'm going to push for is a Ford extended warranty and, provided it checks out, I will be an Edge owner by this time tomorrow!

BTW Jim: I'm from the UK too. Been here 15 years and originally from London/Essex border.

Edited by Guindalf