Aftermarket wheels in winter

cmillz1331

You can certainly run aftermarket wheels in the winter but why would you? I have custom wheels for all three of my cars and I swap back to the stock wheels every fall (October-ish) and run my stock wheels in the winter months. Keeping aftermarket wheels clean is tough when it's cold outside...but my bigger fear is sliding into a curb with them and tearing them up. A likely thing in the snow and ice.

It's up to you, but when spending $1800 to 2500.00 a set on aftermarket wheels/tires, I'd take them off in the winter and keep them nicer for a longer time.

I guess it all comes down to how picky you are and how long you want them to last.

I bought a set of chrome 20's back in 2006 for our Mercury Mariner. Changed them out every winter and they still look like new...6 years later.

In fact, I'm thinking of using them as my "winter wheels" for our Edge Sport so as to keep the Sport wheels new for the next several years. The old chrome 20's have served me well for 6 years on our Mariner and I don't have the budget for a new set of custom wheels for the new Edge right now...plus I really like the stock 22's.