Sirius Question

My Edge did not have Sirius factory installed so my dealer put it in for free for me.

I picked up the car from the service dept yesterday. They handed me a Sirius brochure and a piece of paper with the serial number and phone number for Sirius.

When I got in the car the Sirius was activated.

My question is, when it is installed in the factory, does the owner have to register/activate the account or is it done for you by the dealer?

I 'assumed' that I was getting the same 6 months free that I would have gotten if it was installed by the factory. I called Sirius and they said the unit is registered to the dealer. When I called the Service advisor, he had no clue.

Any thoughts on how this should work?

My Edge did not have Sirius factory installed so my dealer put it in for free for me.

I picked up the car from the service dept yesterday. They handed me a Sirius brochure and a piece of paper with the serial number and phone number for Sirius.

When I got in the car the Sirius was activated.

My question is, when it is installed in the factory, does the owner have to register/activate the account or is it done for you by the dealer?

I 'assumed' that I was getting the same 6 months free that I would have gotten if it was installed by the factory. I called Sirius and they said the unit is registered to the dealer. When I called the Service advisor, he had no clue.

Any thoughts on how this should work?

Wow; Thats a good deal. Perhaps, they added free service for you also. I forgot to ask for Sirius when I ordered mine. My dealer charged me $495 & no free service. To make matters worse, they forgot to give me the code to register it & it was Saturday & the custom shop was closed. Luckily, there is a combination of buttons you push on the head unit & the code will display. I would have thought when you contacted Sirius that they would know how long your service is paid for. I have a tuner at home also, so only have to pay half price for the car radio & also can listen online from anywhere I log in.

Wow; Thats a good deal. Perhaps, they added free service for you also. I forgot to ask for Sirius when I ordered mine. My dealer charged me $495 & no free service. To make matters worse, they forgot to give me the code to register it & it was Saturday & the custom shop was closed. Luckily, there is a combination of buttons you push on the head unit & the code will display. I would have thought when you contacted Sirius that they would know how long your service is paid for. I have a tuner at home also, so only have to pay half price for the car radio & also can listen online from anywhere I log in.

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna leave it alone and see what happens.

When they installed your unit, did they add an external antenae? I was under the impression that the antenae on the roof was used for both the radio and the Sirius. They told me that the radio was "Sirius compatible" so I assumed the antenae was also.

Not that I can change it now but I hate that they had to break the weather seal on the front window to put this in. My husband is concerned about water issues down the line.

I purchased an Escape in July. It came with six months Sirius service. The Sirius was activated by the dealer. I just received a welcome packacge in the mail from Sirius including a discount on the service if I extend the service before the six months is up.

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna leave it alone and see what happens.

When they installed your unit, did they add an external antenae? I was under the impression that the antenae on the roof was used for both the radio and the Sirius. They told me that the radio was "Sirius compatible" so I assumed the antenae was also.

Not that I can change it now but I hate that they had to break the weather seal on the front window to put this in. My husband is concerned about water issues down the line.

The antenna is supposed to go on the wing in back. At first, they put it on the roof in front on the passenger side & ran the wire down the side of the windshield & filled it in with black RTV & through the door & put duct tape to hold it there. I complained immediatly & my salesman agreed it was pretty bad. They moved it to the wing, but its mounted about 2 inches off center ( something to do with the stop light there). It works fine & I try not to look at it.

The antenna is supposed to go on the wing in back. At first, they put it on the roof in front on the passenger side & ran the wire down the side of the windshield & filled it in with black RTV & through the door & put duct tape to hold it there. I complained immediatly & my salesman agreed it was pretty bad. They moved it to the wing, but its mounted about 2 inches off center ( something to do with the stop light there). It works fine & I try not to look at it.

Interesting, mine was mounted right next to the regular antenae. I was behind an Edge yesterday that looked the it was mounted by the wing.

If it is factory installed is there a second antenae or do the use the one for the radio?

Factory installed, the Sirius antenna is mounted directly in the center of the "wing"...the radio antenna is not compatible for satellite reception...I swear, some of these dealerships hire rejects from Best Buy or Circuit City to do installations....The BEST thing to do is order the radio when ordering your Edge, of course....

The lifetime is the lifetime of the radio that you register with Sirius...If you plan on keeping that radio longer than what the equivalent to 550 CDN ( what's that...$20USD?? hahaha) in monthly fees ($12.95USD a month times however long you keep the radio) , then it is worth it....if you change radios, the lifetime is over...

Edited by 7

I guess 550CDN is for lifetime service! If I sold my vehicle, I can transfer my sirius radio to the new one! If it is working like this, is this worth 550 CAD to buy off this service.

If the radio stops working, your out of luck. I signed up for a year. You actually pay for 11 months & get a full year of service. That is about as daring as I get.