What are people towing with there EDGE's

I find it interesting reading all these post about towing. We just purchased a 2013 Edge program car with the specific intention of towing our Glastron 175 MX boat and a small trailer to haul our motorcycles on. The manual clearly states that car can pull 3500 lbs with a proper hitch. We asked our dealer about the transmission and radiator cooling and were assured absolutely no problem pulling a trailer as all the Edges Sel have the proper set up to pull the size and weight we will need. I've also read in the manual that we can pull the car 4 down or use our tow dolly behind the motorhome as it is fwd. Sounds like the perfect solution for us. The dealership here even asked if we wanted to sell them our 2000 F150 XLT with 242,000 miles on it as they check them out to sell to the local high schoolers as cheap first cars. The only concern I have is having a trailer that might push the car around in a panic stop as it is fwd and has little to keep the rear in place. We experienced a situation like that in 1982 pulling my jeep with a chevy Citation that was a bit hairy and quickly taught me the foolishness of not considering the added stopping forces needed with any vehicle let alone a fwd. An electric brake controller will be used. BTW, pulling the boat up the ramp I think will be even easier than with my pickup I think as the drive wheels will never even get near the water like they do with the pickup and the drive axle will have the advantage of all the engine weight to help pull the load instead of having to push with a relative light rear axle. Time will tell come this spring.

Spitfire: Your 2013 Edge SEL has 3,500 lbs towing capacity rating if it is equipped with the factory trailer tow package, which provides the 2-inch Class II hitch receiver, a larger radiator, upgraded cooling fans, trailer sway control capability added to the AdvanceTrac electronic stability control program, and a 4-pin wiring harness.

If your 2013 Edge SEL does not have the factory trailer tow package, its towing capacity rating is only 2,000 lbs. BoatTest lists the dry weight of just your boat, without any trailer, at 2,280 lbs.

If your dealer did not provide you the original window sticker with your 2013 Edge SEL and you want to determine if your vehicle has the factory trailer tow package, you can input your Edge SEL's VIN using this website, which will provide you the window sticker showing your Edge SEL's optional equipment.

I am towing a Robalo R180 boat on a single-axle aluminum trailer with surge brakes, weighing a total of 4,030 lbs when the boat's 50-gallon gas tank is full.

My 2012 MKX with factory trailer tow package pulls the boat & trailer extremely well, even at highway speed. I've experienced no problem with the boat pushing my FWD vehicle around during normal driving. I drive defensively and avoid circumstances that might lead to a panic stop.

And as you expect, the front wheels of my MKX remain on the level surface of boat ramps when I am launching and retrieving my boat.

I bought my MKX expecting to tow this boat and my MKX purchase has proven to be a good decision.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hauled all my scrap metal down to recycling this morning..... first time I've ever towed anything with much of any weight with the Edge (which didn't even break a sweat). Also trying out my new trailer sides I just built on thursday..... they worked great! She's a heavy beast alright, lol..... we went across the scales at 6300 lbs, haha

Worthwhile trip too.... 960 lbs of steel, 113 lbs of good aluminum, 51 lbs of mixed aluminum, and 107 lbs of radiators. $173.50 in my pocket for stuff that would otherwise be thrown in the trash.... I'll take it! :yahoo:

90F9064A-C1FF-4C90-9034-AF8DBD0910EC-431

6116F38A-F488-4E13-A58C-54FFA313E675-431

• 2 months later...

Towed home a "new" (ahem.... very much used, lol) lawn mower the other night. It's not pretty but was a crackhead deal I couldn't pass up from a guy I work with. Needs some work, but nothing I can't handle. 60" deck should make mowing go a little faster than with my current 38" deck mower, lol. And this thing is heavier than it looks..... if the spec I read is correct, it's 2200 lbs and change

2FBEF74F-9DFB-46E0-990B-72DA2E1AD057-786

322BE827-C8EF-4F25-AAE4-A319B493F619-786

• Like 1