What are people towing with there EDGE's

I have a 09 3.5L SEL and my wife and I want to get a boat. I see that I can get a class III hitch that installs on the Edge but my concern is the tow capacity. Ford states 3500lbs/600lb TW. Does anyone tow anything heavy with their edge and what is your experience. I am looking to tow between 3000-4000lbs but my biggest concern isn't towing itself but getting this boat up out of the water off a boat ramp. I don't want to get stuck. What are people towing out there with there edges?

Another concern should be breaking ... the Edge is already a fairly heavy vehicle. I've operated vehicles that were loaded beyond their breaking capacity. You DO NOT want to do this, much less with your family on board. I would say that if your towed vehicle is at or below the 3500lbs .. you're good. Manufactures usually build in a "safety".

As far as not being able to get it out of the whole, well, that can happen to anyone. I've watched full sized F250/2500's do nothing but get pulled in. And I've watched a Jeep pull a 25' cruiser out. It just depends on the surface conditions, (concrete, blacktop, other ??, rough, smooth, wet, etc) and the angle of the boat ramp. Bring a tow strap and hope there are nice people around !

Edited by Tacyon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If I recall, the towing capacity is 3500lbs. There is also no integrated trailer brake controller, so you would have to add that as well. A small boat would be fine, but if it's 3500-4000 lbs, forget it. Keep in mind that you're going to have that boat loaded with fuel, gear, extra passengers, etc. Nope. No extra engine and transmission cooler lines, etc. Not really a towing vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also am wondering what people are towing with there edges. I am looking at a 2013 Malibu 21' wake setter but the boat itself weighs 3500 lbs + trailer. I would only be towing the boat for 15km distance at maximum and no highway just local. Anyone ever tow close to this with there edge before. It's a 2011 AWD Limited

It also has the sport body kit on it with 24" rims. I have read before that the body kit on the back limits you to hitches and the 22" equipped edges are limited to only 2000lb towing capacity. I could just tow with my 17" winter tires installed but really hate the look of them.

^At 3500lbs the boat alone is at your limit already. The trailer will add 800 to 1000 more...I assume that you'll always have coolers, life vests, towels, gasoline in the tanks, then yourself and whatever or whoever you're taking in your edge down to your hot cup of coffee. LOL You're not even giving yourself 1% of a safety margin, your just over and adding. I know your saying that you only need to go (____) far, but if anything catastrophic should happen along that short route, everything you have can be gone. You need to look at a lot lighter boat or a larger tow vehicle.

Edited by Edgieguy

Also - I didn't see mentioned that when you get the Ford towing package it includes the 2" tow receiver, Upgraded cooling fan and radiator as well as a towing setting in the intellitrack that is suppose to make towing more stable. With all that ... Ford says up to 3500lbs.

Here is the official Ford info on my 2011 Ford Edge Limited with tow package ..

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/11FLMRVTT_EdgeNov18.pdfhttp://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/11FLMRVTT_EdgeNov18.pdf

• 5 weeks later...

I've towed a 20' Larson (~2700 lbs dry) on a tandem axle trailer with electric brakes without any issues. (2007 AWD Edge) it actually towed really well. the Edge pulled the boat out of the water every time without spinning the tires once. Of course I used the low gear setting to pull it out of the water and disabled the O/D while on the highway. The towing experience was excellent. No issues braking.

We also tow a 17' hybrid trailer (~2700 lbs dry) for camping and it tows very nicely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Abnormal is your edge equipped with the factory towing package?

We're looking at buying a pop-up tent trailer to go camping. But my edge (2011 edge 3.5 V6) we purchased it without the factory tow package, didn't even give 1 thought about it at the time when we bought our 2011 two years ago unfortunately. We have started to look into installing an aftermarket trailer hitch and have already found that we should stick to a trailer no longer than 8ft and perferably have the dry weight stay under 1200 lbs, we have found some trailers for sale online that weigh less than this. The last thing I would want to do is ruin my transmission and or other parts towing a small tent trailer. Does anyone know of a good repututable aftermarket trailer hitch that is a good fit? sorry if it's been asked before. Do you think my edge could pull a small tent trailer and five passengers or would I be over taxing it? (these are the times when I miss our old F150 FX4 crewcab :doh: ).

• 4 months later...

Abnormal is your edge equipped with the factory towing package?

We're looking at buying a pop-up tent trailer to go camping. But my edge (2011 edge 3.5 V6) we purchased it without the factory tow package, didn't even give 1 thought about it at the time when we bought our 2011 two years ago unfortunately. We have started to look into installing an aftermarket trailer hitch and have already found that we should stick to a trailer no longer than 8ft and perferably have the dry weight stay under 1200 lbs, we have found some trailers for sale online that weigh less than this. The last thing I would want to do is ruin my transmission and or other parts towing a small tent trailer. Does anyone know of a good repututable aftermarket trailer hitch that is a good fit? sorry if it's been asked before. Do you think my edge could pull a small tent trailer and five passengers or would I be over taxing it? (these are the times when I miss our old F150 FX4 crewcab :doh: ).

hey Edge9998. I apologize for the tardiness in my reply, I have to login here on a more regular basis. :( I assume my Edge has the factory towing pkg because it has the factory hitch. the factory hitch is definitely good for a tent trailer and I used it to tow my boat. I had to upgrade to a class III from U-Haul 3 years ago for our camping trailer. BTW, U-Haul has nice hitches at good prices. I have a weight distribution hitch and we tow our ~2700 lbs trailer just fine. I assume your towing capacity is 3500 lbs as well? without seeing the trailer, I would assume yes, you can tow a small tent trailer with 5 passengers easily.

Edited by abnormal

hey Edge9998. I apologize for the tardiness in my reply, I have to login here on a more regular basis. :( I assume my Edge has the factory towing pkg because it has the factory hitch. the factory hitch is definitely good for a tent trailer and I used it to tow my boat. I had to upgrade to a class III from U-Haul 3 years ago for our camping trailer. BTW, U-Haul has nice hitches at good prices. I have a weight distribution hitch and we tow our ~2700 lbs trailer just fine. I assume your towing capacity is 3500 lbs as well? without seeing the trailer, I would assume yes, you can tow a small tent trailer with 5 passengers easily.

No worries in the late reply I think my edge can tow up to 2000 lbs because it didn't come with the factory towing package but I am unsure. But the hubby and I went out and test drove an explorer and an F150 and I think we might be leaning towards trading in my edge for an F150 FX4 crewcab fully loaded in sterling grey metallic. Needless to say as soon as we stepped back into the truck the hubby knew he wanted it he didn't even consider the explorer lol although the explorer is very nice. We figured with 3 kids now and our dog and all of our stuff it might just be better to upgrade to something bigger that we know can handle the towing capacity with no issues. I love my edge to pieces and I know i'll be a shedding a tear if I trade her in :( but know the FX4 will be a good family hauler with more space and will be ready to work when the time comes for a new camper.

No worries in the late reply I think my edge can tow up to 2000 lbs because it didn't come with the factory towing package but I am unsure. But the hubby and I went out and test drove an explorer and an F150 and I think we might be leaning towards trading in my edge for an F150 FX4 crewcab fully loaded in sterling grey metallic. Needless to say as soon as we stepped back into the truck the hubby knew he wanted it he didn't even consider the explorer lol although the explorer is very nice. We figured with 3 kids now and our dog and all of our stuff it might just be better to upgrade to something bigger that we know can handle the towing capacity with no issues. I love my edge to pieces and I know i'll be a shedding a tear if I trade her in :( but know the FX4 will be a good family hauler with more space and will be ready to work when the time comes for a new camper.

at 3 times the towing capacity, :drool: the FX4 will provide way more options as far as trailers are concerned. good luck.

at 3 times the towing capacity, :drool: the FX4 will provide way more options as far as trailers are concerned. good luck.

Thanks! but negotiating today didn't go in my favor i'm not giving my edge away for peanuts, im staying firm on what I want for trade in. So looks like we'll just be installing an aftermarket hitch seems like the draw-tite is a good one among the edges. I've come across some really good reviews here on the forum and online about the draw-tite :). But as I mentioned before i'm sure as long as I stay with something that weighs less than 1100lbs i'm sure the edge will be fine. Just have to get through this winter then camping here we come haha

So the dealer called first thing this morning and came up on trade and agreed to our terms we pickup our 2013 F150 FX4 crewcab tomorrow i have to admit it's kinda bittersweet...

Edited by edge9998