sudden dramatic loss off fuel economy

ickythump

Hi all, i have experienced a very pretty bad decrease in mpg's from22-23 city to about 18-19...nothing really seems amiss, oil was recently changed and air filter not dirty...hasn't lost any power, doesn't idle too high, and rpm's are where they normally at each speed (eg 1,500 @ 60mph).....any thoughts??

Edited by ickythump

since it has gotten cold it could be that the gas stations switched to their winter grade fuel which is known to cause mpg to drop as well as the fact it is colder and takes longer for engine to warm up to optimal running temps. that combination will definitely drop your mpgs.

I don't know anything about "winter fuel" but i filled my tank from Buffalo to NYC and in Pennsylvania a few weeks ago which is when i noticed the drop on hwy first...any way i would be able to find out what kind of oil they used?? It was my first oil change, dealer gave me free coupon, or I'd have done it myself

Idk if anyone will be following still, but after filling up with premium and adding "professional grade" (taken with a grain of salt) fuel injector cleaner, i have seen a marked improvement in fuel economy.....not sure which helped, going to try different gas, but hey premium only 4.50 more a fill so....

If premium fuel helped then there is something wrong with the engine.

Correct. If anything you should get better economy with 87. The ingredients they put in gas to make premium, taking out some of the volatility so as to not ignite early, also takes out some of it's energy content. Probably not enough to be measurable. If heads and pistons gumed up with carbon, effectively raising compression, maybe 91 runs better, but wouldn't improve economy. Also like akirby says, dirty air filter won't cause poor economy with modern vehicles either. Perhaps cleaning the injectors was the ticket. I wouldn't think difference of say 5-20 to 5-30 would really affect economy....although I use the Ford 5-20. If mine....would hook it to a diagnostic tool and look for codes.

I wouldn't think difference of say 5-20 to 5-30 would really affect economy....although I use the Ford 5-20.

Ford switched from 5W-30 to 5W-20 specifically for better fuel economy. Although it wouldn't be more than a few tenths of a mpg.

Although if they used 10w-40 that might be more noticeable (and detrimental).