Need to know more about HIR2 replacement bulbs

Hey everyone,

I'm turning to all of you here since you all seem to know a HECK OF A LOT about replacement lighting for our Ford Edge vehicles.

I just bought a 2011 Ford Edge SPORT 2 weeks ago and just purchased new brighter halogen bulbs. I bought the new Philips 3rd Generation 9012 (HIR2) bulbs.

One thing that I had a bit of concern about was this "warning" on the label:

Application notes This new Philips bulb is physically, electrically, optically, and legally compatible with all previous 9012 (HIR2) bulbs, so it can be used for all the same design-specification, replacement, and upgrade applications. It can replace the 9006 (HB4) for special-service use; such a retrofit requires minor modification to the bulb base as described hereLike all previous HIR2 bulbs, it does not have a blacked-out tip, which means it should not be used in road going headlamp or fog lamp designs that don't have a bulb shield completely covering at least the top half of the front of the bulb — a ring-style bulb shield that leaves the front of the bulb exposed to the lens is usually not sufficient.

The problem that I have is I have no idea if my vehicle has this "bulb shield completely covering at least the top half of the front of the bulb". Do I need to return these bulbs? :hyper: Please say no. I want to do this NOW! LOL.

Here's a link to the bulb: http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html

Thanks,

Ron

As far as I know, the Edge already has HIR2 bulbs as standard equipment. So the sheild issue is already covered. But I think that the bulbs you purchased would be the same as those already installed, in other words, there wont be any improvement.

Thanks Omar, I'll give 'em a try and find out. I hope they're not the same bulbs. That would suck. :-( If anyone here knows what super white or that type of bulb would fit, I would appreciate it. These seem to be very hard to find. No one seems to do the super white, super brite type bulbs for the 9012/HIR2 bulb size.

They do have an amazing ouput and worked great on my previous ride but i do think it is optics related. Since the bulbs were modified to fit into a different housing the tabs are pretty different than stock. I might have been able to rotate the bulb to eliminate but since the output didn't seem like a noticeable difference I gave up.

• 4 months later...

Thanks Omar, I'll give 'em a try and find out. I hope they're not the same bulbs. That would suck. :-( If anyone here knows what super white or that type of bulb would fit, I would appreciate it. These seem to be very hard to find. No one seems to do the super white, super brite type bulbs for the 9012/HIR2 bulb size.

Hi Rondo1 did the Philips HIR2 work for you or are they same as the stock bulbs?

• 5 months later...