Negative Online Reviews

hogbus

The time has come to get a new family vehicle. Trading in the 05 CRV for something with less than 40K and the ability to pull our pop up camper. I really like the 08-10 Explorer/Mountineer, but have seen huge numbers of posts online regarding transmission and mileage issues. Currently, we are looking at 08-11 Edge and MKX. Been scouring the web for reviews on both of these, some things keep popping up:

PTU leaks-some older posts online mentioned this as a huge issue early on with the first generation Edges. Does this still continue to be an issue for people owning/buying those early Edges?

Air Con-saw numerous complaints regarding the air conditioning not cooling properly/bad vent design. What are the experiences here with the AC?

I thought about avoiding these all together and going after a 2011 model, but heard consumer reports did not rate it very highly, plus the web is full of My Touch issues. Would I be better off making sure that if I bought a 2011 I get the SE model?

I like the idea of the 08-10 Edge because I can get a limited in my price range which of course has more options. Going with the 2011 would mean sticking to SE or SEL.

My wife is partial to the MKX, and I do like the first generation MKX models better than the Edge, but of course those are not as plentiful.

Last question, I have been searching for these with the towing package but there are not a lot around (another reason i liked the Explorer/Mountineer). Is that something i can have installed after purchase pretty easy? (Wondering if I can buy the receiver and do it myself).

thanks for listening,

I've had a 2010 and 2011 SEL. The 11 has much less road noise and just feels more solid. Pretty easy to install a hitch and light harness. There should be lots of SEL's out there without Mytouch. I also spend a lot of time in a 2010 Explorer and can say that it's really outdated. Terrible MPG and lots of road/engine noise. I know the Edge is smaller then an Explorer but it feels like it has more room for all passengers.

I've owned a 2008 limited and now have a 2011 Explorer XLT and 2011 Edge Sport. The Sport trumps the Limited in all aspects. I feel it's better assembled, from materials to panel alignments/gaps. It has better brakes, handling, and the HVAC cools and heats more efficiently. Towing was never a problem with my 2008, (typical tow was a 8'x10' snowmobile trailer and a Polaris RZR dune buggy. Approximately 1900lbs combined). Although I haven't towed with the Sport I would definitely guess the experience would only be better than with the Limited. MFT has had more than its share of growing pains but seems to be fine after the last rewrite. With more rewrites scheduled I see this system becoming less and less problematic.

The Explorer too has had a few problems but turned out to be a great vehicle. Towing with the Explorer has been a breeze. You don't even feel your trailer trailer except in extreme weather. Mileage is consistently in the 20s. From 26 on straight highway trips to a low of 21 during mixed city and highway driving. The third row and extra space when it's folded are priceless in their utility, and we find ourselves choosing it for trips more often then the Edge. I would suggest a 2011 model of Edge or Explorer if you could swing it in your budget, the improvements are night and day and you'll notice that if you could take back to back test drives in earlier and later models.

Edited by Edgieguy

We bought our '11 SEL based upon ride and (lack of) road noise. We've had ZERO issues with MFT. Consumer Reports stated that they based their reliability rating on the MFT issues, not mechanical issues. From what I'm hearing, the MFT issues are quickly being resolved. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Keep in mind.....for those that want to add a tow package to tow something heavier than a 300 lb utility trailer......the factory tow package includes more than a hitch and wiring. It will include a larger capacity radiator, cooler for transmission, and perhaps, not sure, a cooler for the power steering. Plus flashers designed to work with your trailer lights. You can burn up a transmission fairly quick towing a heavy load in hot weather without a trans cooler.