Took Delivery of 2013 Platinum White SEL

Mark94

Hi all,

I'm not new to the forum and have been on here a bit researching prior to purchase and have posted a bit but it is official, we are now Edge owners.

We picked up the Edge this past Saturday and it has been in the garage because I'm currently cleaning, sealing with Collinite 845 and waxing. I gave the leather 2 separate applications of Meguires Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner. It seems to feel softer and recover quicker now that it is conditioned so I may put a third on later this week. I just want to prevent those ugly gray/light colored cracks and creases as leather ages especially sinc the interior is black.

It's the wife's new car but she doesn't want to drive it yet since I haven't finished protecting it and we got snow last night and will get more tonight and throughout the week. She said she would feel terible if she drove it and it got all dirty after seeing how much time I've been spending on it with more still to go :)

Anyway, we basically optioned it out to my wife's liking and I have to say, I was very surprised at how quickly the numbers rose to my MSRP.

2013 SEL

FWD

V6

Black Leather Comfort Package (Group 205A)

Vista Roof

My Ford Touch (no navigation)

20 inch chromies

Dual Headreset DVD Players

power liftgate

illuminated door sills

My MSRP was $40,505. I chose not to go with Ford Credit's crappy interest rate so I lost $1000.00 in incentives. I received $3250.00 in incentives which included a $750.00 private cash coupon. Got 2.49% financing through B of A. We placed a custom order since there are none around with DVD players. After I placed my order I called back a couple days later and had them add the power liftgage and illuminated door sills to the order. They forgot to update the paperwork to add these extra $800 in options to my order and they didn't want to go back and redo the paperwork on saturday so I got those free. Basically, I guess I got about $4000.00 in incentives.

After incentives and 7% sales tax, I think I was out the door at about $37k and change. I was x-plan but the dealership was selling the car to me below invoice and cheaper than the x-plan price.

Dealer was nice and didn't try to pressure me into anything but did offer the ESP plan but showed them my paperwork from Flood Ford and A/K showing better rates for a 6 year/125,000 mile warranty. They said they would match the price but I declined because I pointed out I would pay sales tax on their offer but not from the online offers. I'll purchase the extended plan prior to her reaching 12,000 miles.

They also offered me another plan for wheels, paint, interior etc. They offered it to me for $895 which included wheels/tires, paint and interior protection, free key replacements and free dent removal among other things. I was on the fence about it and they then offered it to me for $795. I think I may go back and pick up this coverage just for the wheel protection and dent removal. It is the wife's car and she parks among the masses and I'm sure will get door dings. She also drives 80+ miles a day so if she gets a couple door dings and a flat tire here and there it may pay for itself... The plan is for 5 years and unlimited mileage which is why this is attractive to me. Other plans I've been exposed to were 5 year/60,000 miles which aren't worth it for her since she drives between 20 and 22 thousand miles a year but since this is unlimited I think I can get my money out of it and maybe more. Thoughts?

Anyway, wife is excited and she is happy that she has a car she can now "talk to". She sat in it in the garage for about 45 minutes last night syncing her iphone, making voice commands, listening to music from her iphone and making calls through it.

She said the only thing that would have made it better would to have the drivers entry package with the push botton start and automatic entry without having to putz around with the key fob. Don't understand why that isn't an option for the SEL when it is on the Canadian models...

Happy wife = happy life!

Cheers and thanks for all the advice while I researched!

Mark

Edited by Mark94

Forgot to mention, there was one thing I was disappointed with.

I was excited because we ordered a 2013 and in 2012 they started producing the headrests with the tilt feature. When you get the DVD headrests, the head rest is a completly different unit and much larger then the standard pieces. My head rests do not tilt and are stationary in that forward facing format that is a little uncomfortable. I asked the sales guy and new car manager and they didn't know about it since DVD players don't seem to be common in the Edge but they couldn't get them to tilt backward.

When we opened the trunk, there was a box and it had the standard headrests which have the tilting mechanism. At least they gave them to me just in case I ever want to get rid of the DVD players.

After looking at the standard units, they sales guy and manger came to the conclusion there isn't room in the rests due to the space the players occupy inside so I'm stuck with tilting rests that I can't use.

Mark

Damn, real bummer that this isn't mentioned when you ordered the DVD players. Don't get rid of the tilting headrests. Some day, you might want them..My wife drives a '09 MKS, loves it, except her headrests don't tilt, like mine do in my MKS. What she learned to do to compensate for the non tilting headrest, is to lower the back portion of the power seat, just a hair, helped her out.

Edited by JOEHIO

Love the color... just hard to wax/polish because I can't see where I've been and if I got everything off.

Topped it off with a coat of wax last night and it looks pretty good. I used a wax I bought for my wife's truck many years ago and it always worked well so I used it for the Edge. It is a Dupont Teflon wax that says it also has carnuba in it.

The microfiber towels didn't have enough bite to get it off once it hazed so I used a terry towel with gentile side to side motions to remove it. Will give it a final buff tonight with a micro fiber towel. Last thing to do is just do the black trim with Turtle Wax ice and one final leather treatment and the wife can be on here way.

Took a few quick pics on my way out this morning. Last pic shows the good reflection of my Honda Fit sitting in the driveway outside.

One thing I've noticed with the entire prep/cleaning process... WHAT'S UP WITH ALL THE ORANGE PEEL? Is this normal for Ford products? You can easily see orange peel on every panel of the truck. Worst I've seen on any car I've ever owned and need to know if this is within Ford's tolerance.

Thanks!

post-25091-0-47536800-1360073065_thumb.jpg

post-25091-0-61058000-1360073085_thumb.jpg

post-25091-0-16008900-1360073147_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark94

Thanks! Just not sure what you mean by managing the roof?

How have I prepped and protected the BAMR? If so, I cleaned the outside, used Collinite 845 on it, let it cure for 24 hours and they waxed it last night. Hopefully that will keep hard water spots off it it for a while.

Let me know if I misunderstood the question.

Mark

Oh, gotcha.

My wife's current car is a Saturn Vue Redline which was the first SUV we have had. It is factory lowered and considerably shorter than the Edge. Always just stood on my tippy toes and I could reach to the center from each side of the truck.

Tried that with the Edge and no go. My wife has a folding step stool that she uses to reach stuff in her clothes closet. Just grabbed that and I could reach all points of the roof no problem. Hers is just a one step but you can buy a folding 2 or 3 step in Home Depot, Lowes, Target etc.

Something like this and it is only $13.00 for a 2 step. You'll find that you will use this all around your house, not just in the garage:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202015348/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=step+stool&storeId=10051#.URFBCOihDKg

Mark

• Like 1