"New" Used 2013 Edge SEL Driver Here

rickybobby

Hi everyone,

I just bought my first Edge this past weekend. It's a used 2013 Edge SEL in black. It had about 15,000 KMs (about 9,300 mi) in its six months of service, but it was in pristine condition on the lot.

I flew out from Manitoba to a dealer in Calgary to pick it up - the price of $25,500 CDN was worth the trip. Then I got to enjoy driving it back home - a 1,300 KM, 13 hour drive across the prairies. It was actually a very pleasant trip!

I bought this as a replacement for a Murano that gave me a lot of headaches. You hear a lot about import quality but unfortunately I didn't get to enjoy much of that... had to replace the alternator, $1,000 module and then the piece de resistance, the full AWD transmission, all on my own dime. Enough was enough.

I had my eye on Edges for a while and thought a new one would be a bit out of my price range until this one popped up. It is definitely nicely appointed inside and is in my opinion as comfortable, if not more so, than the Murano.

After my negative transmission experience with the Murano, I decided to keep it simple with a FWD transmission. I plan to get winter tires this fall given the very harsh winters here. I have driven a FWD Escape with regular tires through the snow and it handles like a champ, so I figure the Edge should be OK on that score.

Anyway, I am pumped to learn a bit about taking care of my Edge and getting the most out of it from you guys!

Edited by rickybobby

Welcome to the Edge community, glad to have you here! Sounds like you got a deal.

I drive all the time in my FWD car (all season tires to boot!) thru all kinds of weather conditions, varying HOW I drive as needed, has worked pretty well over the years. Granted, I rarely drive through 3 foot snowdrifts :)

Anxiously awaiting pics of your new pride & joy when you can post 'em. munch.gif

Thanks guys!

I downloaded the pics from the dealer's website (I'm not much of a photog) and will post them up later.

It was a little daunting to fly out one-way to buy a car sight unseen, but the deal was good and the fact that it was pretty new and coming from a dealer (albeit not a Ford dealer) gave me a little extra confidence. Things have worked out very well so far. I really like the Edge and the smooth ride, probably even more so than the Murano at this point.

I have to admit I was a little put off by the whole AWD experience with the Nissan when the drive shaft went, so I thought simpler might be better. Frankly I never noticed very much of a difference in terms of wintertime handling as between the AWD Murano and the FWD Escape, so I felt less compelled to fork out extra for AWD.

Between my experience with the 2008 Escape and the Fords I have rented recently, my perception of the brand has really changed as compared to a decade ago. When I see some of the prices out there for SUVs, I feel like I got excellent value for the money with my Edge.

Cheers!

Congrats on your new Edge, looks like you got a good deal

I agree with your choice of FWD. I also live in a heavy winter area and driving a Passat in the last 10 years I never got stuck or anything on heavy snow. So I thought the simpler the better and less maintenance and I ordered my Edge with FWD.

Don’t want to say the AWD not worth the extra $$$ but in my experience and where I drive in the winter do not justify the extra cost

Enjoy your new ride

Thanks, guys!

Very nice looking, enjoy. About the only thing I would do is to remove the dealers "tag" on the liftgate. I hate when dealers put these on.

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm going to try and get that off... never done it before but I would imagine there must be some threads devoted to the topic here.

Those "tags" are getting more and more obnoxious... around here, a lot of dealers will put one on the body, one on the rear glass and then a license plate frame to boot (I got rid of that already)...