wheels 17 or 18

is there a good reason to get the 18 in over 17in besides personal opion about looks

18" painted or chrome clad??? I know there is a lot of hate mail out there on the chrome clads, and I'm not a big fan of them myself, but I have them on my Edge (standard with the SEL+) and I have grown to like them.

A couple years ago I was looking at the new Explorers when they recently started installing the chrome clads. Got pinned by a salesman even though I was just looking, so asked about those. I know you'll get a different answer from every salesman, but he stated they were lighter than the traditional wheel and would make it easier for a woman to change a tire. Now, I don't know about anyone else out there, but if my wife had a flat, the last thing she would do is change it herself, the first being calling me to change it! And I would do so gladly, of course.

Otherwise, just a personal preference on the looks. Get whatever appeals best to you.

18" painted or chrome clad??? I know there is a lot of hate mail out there on the chrome clads, and I'm not a big fan of them myself, but I have them on my Edge (standard with the SEL+) and I have grown to like them.

A couple years ago I was looking at the new Explorers when they recently started installing the chrome clads. Got pinned by a salesman even though I was just looking, so asked about those. I know you'll get a different answer from every salesman, but he stated they were lighter than the traditional wheel and would make it easier for a woman to change a tire. Now, I don't know about anyone else out there, but if my wife had a flat, the last thing she would do is change it herself, the first being calling me to change it! And I would do so gladly, of course.

Otherwise, just a personal preference on the looks. Get whatever appeals best to you.

i was thinking the painted 18 in but 385.00 is alot just for looks on a lease vehicle

• 4 weeks later...
is there a good reason to get the 18 in over 17in besides personal opion about looks

The 18" wheel will be fitted with a lower profile, wider tire. This gives you the same overall diameter so as not to throw the speedometer off. The lower profile tire will put a wider contact patch on the ground and the shorter sidewall will quicken the steering response. All other things being equal you should expect sportier, better handling from the 18 inchers.

There are some trade offs though. First, the shorter sidewall will reduce the amount of cushioning the tire can provide and may degrade the ride quality a little. Secondly, the 18" low profile, high performance sized tires may not provide as much tread life as a higher profile all-weather type tire. Lastly, shorter, wider tires can be worse for traction in snowy weather, particularly if they are a ultra high performance type tire.

The 18" wheel will be fitted with a lower profile, wider tire. This gives you the same overall diameter so as not to throw the speedometer off. The lower profile tire will put a wider contact patch on the ground and the shorter sidewall will quicken the steering response. All other things being equal you should expect sportier, better handling from the 18 inchers.

There are some trade offs though. First, the shorter sidewall will reduce the amount of cushioning the tire can provide and may degrade the ride quality a little. Secondly, the 18" low profile, high performance sized tires may not provide as much tread life as a higher profile all-weather type tire. Lastly, shorter, wider tires can be worse for traction in snowy weather, particularly if they are a ultra high performance type tire.

Wellllll.......

Not that much wider. Very little difference.

235/65/17 --- 245/60/18

Section Width 9.25 in --- 9.64 in

Overall Diameter 29.02 in --- 29.57 in

Sidewall Height 6.01 in --- 5.78 in

Radius 14.51 in --- 14.78 in

Circumference 91.16 in --- 92.89 in

Revs per Mile 716.7 --- 703.4

Actual Speed 60 mph --- 58.8 mph

If you want something that has more contact, go with a 275 width.

Glad I could help!

That could come in handy when you are standing in front of the judge.

It's funny you should mention that...just kidding.

I did have a friend of mine (ex-cop) who said "if you know you're caught going over 100, just keep going. It's more fun for you and it's more fun for me and you're going to jail anyway..."