Roof Rack Rails Trade for Roof Trim Strips

I have a 2011 Edge with roof rack rails and I would like to offer them up as an even trade for anyone with the plain roof trim strips... I have no use for mine and prefer the clean look without. Even swap, my roof rack rails and trim strips for your non roof rack trim strips... I'll ship mine and you ship yours. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!

You might find an interested taker in May or June when peoples minds turn to outdoor activities or summer travel that require a set of roof rails. I purchased them and self installed on my 2012 Edge because I needed to carry a canoe. I can't remember the price off the top of my head but your exchange would be an extremely good deal for someone.

Ā 

If you ever find someone to do this, you will also need to exchange the front and rear roof mounting brackets that are underneath the black trim piece. The brackets that come with your setup have two holes for two mounting bolts. That provides the extra strength needed to secure your loaded roof rails. The mounting brackets that come with the plain strip only have one hole. There is also a middle bracket on each side but that doesn't change. Since you are removing your rails you will end up with an open bolt hole at each corner of your roof that needs to be filled or you are going to end up with a roof leak. I would expect that a clear, all weather sealant such as the type made for a gutter would do the job.

Shaun, I'm thinking we are gonna have to seal up the new screws pretty good to prevent any leaks or rust. Not sure if I'm gonna use silicone or flexable body caulk. I'm definitely gonna put a little silicone on the screw threads. I wonder what they used at the factory.

Got the rack installed tonight (Thanks Shaun!). Like Gimp said, it's a very simple procedure. Ya just have to uncover the four extra holes and bolt it on. If anyone else is looking to swap their rack for the strips, I've got a fellow deer hunting friend that would be up for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hell I'm kinda of interested in doing this. I have the side rails and will never put anything on top but am worried in roof leaks after the swap. How do the racks come off does anyone have pics in the removal of these and what one is left with after the new strips are installed?

Cruiser, If you are interested in swapping for the strips I have a buddy that would be up for it. I didn't take any pics but it's very easy to do. You will just need to fill in four small holes with body caulk, bolt on four plastic brackets in the same holes the side rails used and snap on the black strips. Ford used body caulk to cover the holes on vehicles that did not come with a rack. Each plastic bracket is held on with 1 screw. You won't get any leaks if ya fill the four empty screw holes.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...