First 5,000 mile service -- what kind of services do I need

Thanks for you guys on the forum, I decided purchased the 2013 Ford Edge and it's a very good car having everying I want... Now there are already 5,000 miles on the car and it needs service. I am just wondering what kind of service do I need, besides oil change and rotate tires. Also, is the service free or not? I don't remember what the dealer told me when I purchasing the car.

thanks, Jesse

Our 5000 mile service is just an oil change and tire rotation.... really nothing more that needs to be done at that point. And kinda up to the dealer I think on whether it's free or not, one of the dealers I used to work at the first oil change was always free with a new car (personally I would never go that long on the factory oil, but maybe that's just me). Either way, shouldn't be much regardless

You actually don't have any services due until the OLM (Oil Life Monitor) is near the 0 percentage range or one year has passed with no oil change. According to the owner's manual, it should show oil change required anywhere between 3000-10000 miles, depending on your vehicle usage. Extreme, Severe, or Normal. These conditions are explained on page 359 of my 2013 Edge Owner's manual. The only mileage based maintenance items are air filter, cabin filter, spark plugs, etc. These items and mileage requirements are found on page 361

There are items which should be checked and inspected every month or six months as explained on page 356. Tire rotation is also recommended at each oil change along with other inspections. Page 360.

With all that said I do the multi-point inspection, oil change, and tire rotation every 5000 miles just to be on the safe side. I have 10000 miles on my 2013 and just did the second change Monday. Both times my OLM was at 50% so I could have gone longer. I reset the OLM back to 100% and am done.

I did the first change myself at 4995 and this change by the dealer at 10010. I had a free coupon from the dealer for the oil change and let them do it this time. They also performed the multi-point inspection and I got the record of it to put into my paperwork for the Edge.

One of the best features for those who do not change the oil themselves IMHO is to let the dealer do "The Works" Fuel Saver Package. This includes synthetic blend oil, oil filter, tire rotation and pressure check, multi-point inspection, fluid top off, battery test, filter check, and hoses and belts check. The normal price for this is $39.95, but Ford or your Ford dealer very often have a $10.00 rebate bringing the cost to $29.95. This is for 5 quarts of oil. Usually the dealer will charge for the 6th quart which is needed in the 3.5 engine.

I always find the coupons on the My Ford site where I keep track of my service records and visits. You can also find an online owner's manual there.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't go by the Oil life monitor because I feel like the intervals are way too long. I always do an oil change and tire rotation every 5,000 miles. I do the cabin air filter, engine air filter, and wiper blades at 15,000, and usually I do a four- wheel alignment once a year because the potholes and roads in general where I live are brutal. A $70 alignment is cheap insurance, especially considering how much ONE tire costs today. There should be very little out of pocket expense until 30,000 miles, which is when i usually have the transmission fluid changed and a new filter done. That is to each his/her own. Some people don't believe it needs to be done that early, and that's fine. For me, again, a $100 tranny service is cheap insurance compared to a new transmission down the road. I don't touch the coolant, nor the brake fluid, nor the power steering fluid. Never had a problem with keeping those original fluids in the car well past 100,000 miles.