License Plate Removal

I know a lot of you have done this on the forum already, but those of you that haven't, here's a quick run through of my process of removal and cover up.

The license plate bracket is held in by two rivets, so it's not a simple unscrew method. I started with a small drill bit and drilled through the front of the rivet, progressively moving up in size until I actually blew threw it. You'll feel it when this happens, you'll also start spinning the rivet.

IMG_0117_zps8b489349.jpg

IMG_0120_zps8ecf7f7c.jpg

Once I went through them both, I was able to pull the bracket off the bumper with little effort. You will find that the holes might be a little jagged. I took a stepped drill bit and made the holes smooth, sorry I don't have an image of this.

IMG_0121_zps2d8207a7.jpg

Once the holes were prepped, I picked up a couple plugs at my local O'Rielly Auto Parts store. The final diameter of my holes were 5/16.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DORN/464340BP.oap?ck=Search_464340bp_-1_-1&keyword=464340bp

IMG_0123_zps91e1ddce.jpg

Here's the final product. I'm thinking about paint matching them with a bit of clear coat but for now this will work. The girlfriend was nervous when I was drilling into her brand new car. She's happy now.

IMG_0130_zpsb5ce8739.jpg

IMG_0126_zpsde7bff2f.jpg

Edited by hkgroggy
  • Like 2

I had removed my front plate bracket from my Limited which has a chrome front grill. Most major hardware stores or Home Depot type stores have a huge selection of plugs you can buy. They carry all different sizes and colors, including chrome colored. I ended up putting my plate back on due to state law.

Edited by ls973800

I had removed my front plate bracket from my Limited which has a chrome front grill. Most major hardware stores or Home Depot type stores have a huge selection of plugs you can buy. They carry all different sizes and colors, including chrome colored. I ended up putting my plate back on due to state law.

How did you re-install the license plate? Did you get those same rivets from Ford parts or come up with another method?

How did you re-install the license plate? Did you get those same rivets from Ford parts or come up with another method?

One of the hardware stores I stopped at had a vast selection of rivets and those expandable plastic ones. Almost like some of those drywall anchors that when you run the screw into it, it expands against the back side of the wall (Molly bolts I think they are called.) I found something similar which worked the same way. The biggest problem was finding something other than 1/2 inch or 5/8 in thick that is for drywall.

I believe I needed something about 1/4 inch or a little less after going through the plate frame and the grill. I didn't use the Ford ones because when I drilled out the factory rivets the hole ended up larger in diameter than what is drilled at the factory.

• 2 months later...