Roof Rail Removal

I bought a new Edge and it came with Roof Rails. Due to a lot of reasons, I have taken them off. Since the "gutter" that runs along each side of the car has holes for the roof rack "feet" to bolt through I am trying to get the part number for the new "gutter covers/weatherstrip"

In many cars this is either a full length replacement of the entire strip or just little "plugs" for the cutouts.

My local dealers have NO clue what they are talking about and I thought someone here might know.

Thanks in advance.

(BTW, my dealers service dept did, in fact, have the removal/installation instructions so that part is easy. Now I just need the replacement part that obviously comes with every Edge that doesn't have roof rails.)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought a new Edge and it came with Roof Rails. Due to a lot of reasons, I have taken them off. Since the "gutter" that runs along each side of the car has holes for the roof rack "feet" to bolt through I am trying to get the part number for the new "gutter covers/weatherstrip"

In many cars this is either a full length replacement of the entire strip or just little "plugs" for the cutouts.

My local dealers have NO clue what they are talking about and I thought someone here might know.

Thanks in advance.

(BTW, my dealers service dept did, in fact, have the removal/installation instructions so that part is easy. Now I just need the replacement part that obviously comes with every Edge that doesn't have roof rails.)

If you are interested in selling the rails for a fair price, I am willing to buy them off you. send me a message or email. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

f you are interested, I have the original weatherstrip from the factory. It came with my new Edge and I installed the roof rails a week later. I'm selling them for $100.00 with the guides/screws.

waltbaez@yahoo.com

Did the roof rails come with new gutter strips to fill the gaps? My dealer says they have to drop the headliner to install the rails. I don't buy it, or the $350 they are saying it's going to cost. I want to do this myself.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I remember, the roof isn't structurally sound to hold the extra weight with the vista roof. If you go aftermarket though, the weight is put more onto the sides/pillars

But where from do you 'remember' this? Dealer or service manager or some other inside person?

It really doesn't make sense to me. The factory rails are all the way to the edge (no pun intended) of the roof. The aftermarket solutions that have touted the highest load capacities were installed with "tracks" that lie 2-3 inches inboard (closer to the Vista roof) of the factory location. The aftermarket "clip" solutions that move the mounts to the far edges only offer 100lbs of load capacity.

IMO, the real reason they didn't offer rails with Vista roof is the risk of damage to the tempered (not safety) glass. Included with this was the risk of people overloading or improperly loading the roof and possibly messing up the roof mechanism. This would require a large enough load to warp the aluminum frame (something on the order of at least 200 pounds + force). Of course, if you hit something with tall items on the roof, the Vista could/would be damaged and that's not cheap ($5,000 just for the part).

Definitely risks involved. I just feel that the risks are not due to simply weight but what that weight will do if an accident occurs.

Having said all this, I plan on installing the factory rails with the Vista roof. (flame away) I will also keep in mind the risks as I load anything. I'll limit my cargo to bikes, snowboards and skis, surfboards, and maybe the occasional kayak at most. Definitely not putting anything up there for "moving" purposes. I will rent a trailer on the occasion I want to lug anything really heavy around.

I installed the rails on my own, after the dealer quoted me a price of $200 to do it. The instructons were on the Ford web site with the accessories. It took me about 2 hours with a screwdriver and a socket wrench, I think 7mm.

Thanks for confirming

I was afraid that the headliner removal was required after looking around at the flex forums.