Rear security cover

I believe you're talking about the rear cargo cover.

I leave mine on all the time and never removed it. I'm not certain I understand the question, "Also do any of you that have one have a system and if you do does it rattle or make any noise? " If you're talking about the cargo cover I don't hear noise from it. Just guessing at the question.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/7896-piddly-but-annoying-cargo-cover/

Edited by rwolson

I have one on my 2013 Limited. It's surprisingly low-tech, just a piece of soft vinyl that you can roll up or fold up and store in the spare tire/undefloor cargo area when not in use. It attaches by elastic loops that fit around the rear seat headrests, and a clip on each side that fits into the space between the rear side glass and the rear interior vinyl trim, and there are two more elastic loop fasteners that attach to anchor points on the vinyl trim at the very rear of the cargo compartment. Very quick and simple to install and fold. I take mine off when not in use, because I seldom have cargo to conceal in the back. It's made from soft materials so there's no noise to be heard.

My old Honda CR-V had a cargo cover device that was a little more sophisticated, like a canvas shade that rolled like a window shade into a hard plastic housing that stretched from wheel well to wheel well. The case had a tension mount that held it into two pocket recesses in the side trim just above each rear wheel. It was probably better made, but a real pain to store when not in use because it wouldn't fold and was really too long to keep out of the way inside the car. The Edge system is probably better perhaps because it's so simple and flexible, and like I said, it does the job just as well.

I believe you're talking about the rear cargo cover.

I leave mine on all the time and never removed it. I'm not certain I understand the question, "Also do any of you that have one have a system and if you do does it rattle or make any noise? " If you're talking about the cargo cover I don't hear noise from it. Just guessing at the question.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/7896-piddly-but-annoying-cargo-cover/

Meaning I have two solo baric S12L7's in the back and I wonder if it will rattle or not.

I have one on my 2013 Limited. It's surprisingly low-tech, just a piece of soft vinyl that you can roll up or fold up and store in the spare tire/undefloor cargo area when not in use. It attaches by elastic loops that fit around the rear seat headrests, and a clip on each side that fits into the space between the rear side glass and the rear interior vinyl trim, and there are two more elastic loop fasteners that attach to anchor points on the vinyl trim at the very rear of the cargo compartment. Very quick and simple to install and fold. I take mine off when not in use, because I seldom have cargo to conceal in the back. It's made from soft materials so there's no noise to be heard.

My old Honda CR-V had a cargo cover device that was a little more sophisticated, like a canvas shade that rolled like a window shade into a hard plastic housing that stretched from wheel well to wheel well. The case had a tension mount that held it into two pocket recesses in the side trim just above each rear wheel. It was probably better made, but a real pain to store when not in use because it wouldn't fold and was really too long to keep out of the way inside the car. The Edge system is probably better perhaps because it's so simple and flexible, and like I said, it does the job just as well.

Thank you for the information and that is exactly the information I was looking for. I appreciate the help.

• 5 months later...

Yeah, it looks sturdier than the factory cover in my 2013 Limited, and it actually looks similar to the factory cover in my old 2005 Honda CR-V. I was skeptical and a bit surprised when I first saw the Ford version, but having now used both types of covers, I have a very strong preference for the low-tech Ford factory version. Why in the world would I prefer something so flimsy and not buy the unit shown in the link above?

1. My factory cover can literally be rolled up and stored easily in the spare tire cargo area underneath. This comes in handy because I don't always have the cover in place, but if I'm out and I pick something up and decide I want it covered, it's always on-hand and really simple to put on. Not so easy to do with a rigid shade-type cover like this, even if it can be quickly detached from the mounts like my old CR-V cover. My CR-V cover was fine if it was left in place, but if I needed to remove it while on the road there was really no way to store it in the vehicle without it getting in the way. And there are plenty of times when you really don't want the shade in place. For most of my CR-V's life the cover sat unused in the garage. My low-tech "roll-up and shove it" factory cover has held up really well for the year+ that I've owned the Edge and it has gotten a fair amount of use (including being installed and removed quite a few times, as well as being left in place virtually the entire summer). Great for vacations when I load up the Edge to the headliner, and can then quickly install the roll-up cover to conceal valuables while driving around on vacation. Couldn't do that with the rigid mount, it took up too much space when the car was fully loaded.

2. The cover shown in the link above has a curious Rube Goldberg kind of bend or sag, dropping down from the rear seat and extending along the beltline to the rear liftgate. My Ford factory cover slopes straight back from the top of the rear seat to the same point on the interior panel. This not only increases the amount of covered space by quite a bit, but it also looks a whole lot neater in my opinion. Importantly, with the lower height of the rigid unit it will be more awkward to retrieve items that are stowed all the way forward against the rear seat. This is a slight inconvenience with the Ford cover and would definitely be a bit more of a hassle with the one shown above.

3. There is no attachment to the rear center headrest like there is on the factory cover, which attaches to all three headrests. I know the main attachment is a rigid mount, but still I can see the forward portion of this unit sagging over time near the seat with just two support points and nothing in the middle.

4. You have to drill 10 (yeah, ten) holes to mount it. Do the screws sink into sheet metal behind the trim or do they just bite into vinyl trim material (hope not the latter)? Are the installation instructions intelligible? Better hope it works well and lasts a long time, or you'll have a daily ugly reminder of the experiment, not to mention something for the dealer to "ding" you on when you go to trade in.

5. Shipping cost is a deal killer for me, totally defeats the appeal of the rock bottom item price. The cost of getting the unit to my home is almost as much as the cost of the unit itself!

6. Out of 100 available, they've sold just one and there are no reviews.

7. Made in China. I won't do the usual rant about US jobs and poor quality and false economies due to short product life cycles because that's a personal choice. But I will share a story about how when I first got my Edge I bought a canvas drop cloth, figuring I'd put it on the floor before loading crappy cargo and have enough canvas to wrap around the sides of the cargo to protect the wheel well trim and rear seatback and liftgate from scratches and stains. Good theory, but the canvas stunk to high heaven when I took it out of the plastic bag. Yep, made in China, apparently right next to a sewage treatment plant. The stench in the canvas never did go away so I never did use that canvas. The canvas stench was probably a one-off but I have noticed peculiar odors on other "soft good" things I've bought that were made in China. Hopefully the shade material on this unit would be ok, but I'd sure like to see it in person before I bought it and make sure it passes the sniff test before I put it in my Edge. The description says "Made from Environment-Friendly Leather that releases no harmful fumes." Curious that they felt a need to call that out, and that they just said the fumes weren't harmful. Two nights ago my dog got sprayed by a skunk. Technically those fumes weren't harmful either....

8. Is the cover really made of "Environment-Friendly Leather? Elsewhere it refers to "environmentally friendly fabrics" and in one spot they refer to it as being made of "Eco-friendly cotton" and the photos don't look like leather to me (at least not from any animal I recognize). Funny, they refer to their competitors' material as being made of "Inferior PU leather which is Smelly and Easy to break." Wow, they really seem sensitive about odors. PU leather must be the stinky kind so I guess if theirs really is leather, it's probably not the PU kind. But then they say it's some kind of unidentified fabric and then later they say it's made out of cotton (wow, just like my undies). The more closely I read, the more confused I get as to what this thing is made of.

9. Read the "Maintenance and Caution" disclaimer section. Like an amusement park ride, it's kind of fun and scary at the same time. My favorites are: "6. If you find any problems during installation or Use, Please feel free to Contact our Distributors" (aka the S.O.O.L. disclaimer) and "7. The Cargo Cover is not to be treated as protecting your cargo from Stealing. Please do not put your valuable things when uou leave it." (reminds me of the cotton swab disclaimer "we all know what you bought this for but don't put it in your ear"). Oh I almost forgot about "1. Do not pull the cargo cover when you are driving." I mean, doesn't everyone do that?

Personally I think I'll stick to my low-tech cover. At the very least it's nice to have the confidence of knowing I can pull it when I'm driving.

Edited by edge1217
  • Like 2