Piddly but annoying... cargo cover

katandcharlie

I know this is very piddly but it is a thorn in my side. My 2011 MKX has the cheapest plastic cargo cover I have ever seen. To secure the cover (which is, literally, a cheap piece of plastic type material, kind of like very bad faux leather) you have to slide the attached elastic bands over the rear seat headrests and then you have to cram plastic hooks between the rear side windows and inside plastic panel to secure the side of the cover. At the trunk end you secure the cover with elastic cords on the same hooks that the cargo netting attaches to. With the cargo cover in place you can not put the rear seats down because the elastic bands are attached to the headrest. I am completely disappointed that Ford/Lincoln would stoop to such a shoddy design and material. Do any of you with the Edge have a cargo cover and, if so, it is the same type material and process to "instal"?

I am so annoyed that I FINALLY have a luxury vehicle and it has Yugo accessories!

Katherine

• Like 1

I know this is very piddly but it is a thorn in my side. My 2011 MKX has the cheapest plastic cargo cover I have ever seen. To secure the cover (which is, literally, a cheap piece of plastic type material, kind of like very bad faux leather) you have to slide the attached elastic bands over the rear seat headrests and then you have to cram plastic hooks between the rear side windows and inside plastic panel to secure the side of the cover. At the trunk end you secure the cover with elastic cords on the same hooks that the cargo netting attaches to. With the cargo cover in place you can not put the rear seats down because the elastic bands are attached to the headrest. I am completely disappointed that Ford/Lincoln would stoop to such a shoddy design and material. Do any of you with the Edge have a cargo cover and, if so, it is the same type material and process to "instal"?

I am so annoyed that I FINALLY have a luxury vehicle and it has Yugo accessories!

Katherine

They're all the same and it's called "vinyl". We don't think they could do the conventional roller shade type of cover due to the rear seats reclining. It is rather shoddy.

• Like 1

Katherine

Thanks for the review of the cargo cover. I thinking about getting one and I was wondering how it attacehed. Based on this, I think this is one accessory I will pass on.

They're all the same and it's called "vinyl". We don't think they could do the conventional roller shade type of cover due to the rear seats reclining. It is rather shoddy.

Thanks, akirby, my ol' chemo brain had kicked in and I couldn't come up with the word "vinyl". Yes, indeed, very shoddy and very much a pain.

We only have 3 complaints about our 08 MKX.

1. Gas tank too small.

2. Plastic hub caps. GONE and we got $500.00 for them.

3. No cargo cover.

ab

Wow, you made a killing on those hub caps!!! As for the cargo cover, I'm attempting to learn to live with it but I'm also learning to make sure there are no delicate ears close by when I'm having to "re-instal" it or when I'm having to load the trunk with groceries. If nothing else, it is keeping my nail tech in business, she's loving this nasty little vinyl thing!

Hi,

Thanks for the review.

Do you have a part number so I know what to avoid?

Thanks again.

Katherine

Wow, you made a killing on those hub caps!!! As for the cargo cover, I'm attempting to learn to live with it but I'm also learning to make sure there are no delicate ears close by when I'm having to "re-instal" it or when I'm having to load the trunk with groceries. If nothing else, it is keeping my nail tech in business, she's loving this nasty little vinyl thing!

Try gel nails... my wifes swears by them. Regular polish lasts her 1-2 days before chipping.

as far as I know...

The Ford privacy shade is the ONLY option.

I saw a cargo shade that would be awesome if it could be retrofitted into an Edge.

My boss just picked up a Lexus CT250h and the cargo shade on that thing is ideal. It's a bar that can be easily popped in and out of these square indentations on both sides of the trunk area. It's spring loaded and installed in literally 3 seconds.

I'm going to measure it and see, but I am afraid it would be too narrow. Maybe a Lexus GX has a usable shade.

Edited by cal3thousand

I got tired of the elastic bands around the headrests so I sewed on a strip of Velcro on the leading edge which just grips the carpeted seat back. On the side wings I did the same and then attached adhesive backed Velcro into the window sills to hold them securely. It works well and keeps the cover straight which was my biggest peeve. If anyone's interested I'll post photos .

• Like 1

It does serve a purpose and you can make it work. Wife said "get it out of my sight!!". It's her car so I did. I know it's because of the reclining seats but I would have given those up for a "real" cargo cover like many other brands have. The Edge is such a fine vehicle that this cover really irritates. Now, if the vehicle was a Yugo I wouldn't even be giving it a second thought.

I got tired of the elastic bands around the headrests so I sewed on a strip of Velcro on the leading edge which just grips the carpeted seat back. On the side wings I did the same and then attached adhesive backed Velcro into the window sills to hold them securely. It works well and keeps the cover straight which was my biggest peeve. If anyone's interested I'll post photos .

Please do post some pictures. I'm interested on what you did and how the final product looks. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a MKX. I saw how the cargo cover fit at the dealership and thought it was laughable.

Since I have a black interior I went to Target and bought a cheap $20 black microfiber throw blanket. It works great, looks good even when the hatch is open, fits under the cargo lid next to the spare tire when I'm not using it, and I can throw it in the washing machine when it gets dirty.

I also have a MKX. I saw how the cargo cover fit at the dealership and thought it was laughable.

Since I have a black interior I went to Target and bought a cheap $20 black microfiber throw blanket. It works great, looks good even when the hatch is open, fits under the cargo lid next to the spare tire when I'm not using it, and I can throw it in the washing machine when it gets dirty.

Amen! I was sold the cargo cover for my 2011 Ford Edge and told them to keep it when I opened the box in the dealership. Now I just use a small blanket that matches the interior color. Someone in the Ford design department forgot about the cargo cover and so they whipped up that pitiful vinyl solution.

I keep a utility blanket that I got on the cheap in there.

It's good for covering things if I feel compelled, but most importantly it saves from scratches on the interior when I haul dirty and/or large heavy items.

I keep a utility blanket that I got on the cheap in there.

It's good for covering things if I feel compelled, but most importantly it saves from scratches on the interior when I haul dirty and/or large heavy items.

I'm keeping a dark colored blanket in the trunk area now as the oh so wonderful "faux leather" cover (aka: pleather, aka: vinyl) is already falling apart. Knew it would be a matter of time before the cord elastic bands that hook onto the vehicle at the rear sides gave out.... guess I was thinking/hoping/praying/in denial that they would last longer than six months. Good thing I didn't have to pay for this thing!!

On a positive note, I'm no longer in a love/hate relationship with the vehicle, we have moved onto love/learning to love phase as some of the problems are being worked out.

Katherine

• 4 weeks later...

It does serve a purpose and you can make it work. Wife said "get it out of my sight!!". It's her car so I did. I know it's because of the reclining seats but I would have given those up for a "real" cargo cover like many other brands have. The Edge is such a fine vehicle that this cover really irritates. Now, if the vehicle was a Yugo I wouldn't even be giving it a second thought.

All Ford had to do was to mount a real retracting cover to the back of the seats. When reclined, the cover mechanism would move with the seat. BMW figured this out years ago, but I guess Ford really was not interested in a better solution than the pitiful vinyl cover that we have.

All Ford had to do was to mount a real retracting cover to the back of the seats. When reclined, the cover mechanism would move with the seat. BMW figured this out years ago, but I guess Ford really was not interested in a better solution than the pitiful vinyl cover that we have.

How does that handle the 60/40 split?

I know the Lexus solution in the CT200h is great since the "roll" easily just popped out when not in use since it is spring loaded at the ends. They also have a very nice solution to the rear headrest: if you pull them out to full extension, it exposes a hinge at the bottom of the post that will allow them to fall forward, reducing chances of contacting the front seats. (not that big of a problem in the Edge, but still useful)