Preparing to Purchase 1st Edge (Used) - Seeking Advice

Hello Folks,

My wife and I are preparing to purchase our first Edge (Used). This will be her car but I may get one as well in the next year or 2.

We are looking in the 2008-2010 range to stay within our budget as well as what we feel are reasonable miles on the vehicle.

Hoping to get some feedback on any issues that would make us steer clear of a particular model year or any other advice you may have to offer.

Thanks and looking forward to participating on the forum!

My 07 hasn't given me any problems at all.. I believe that all year models are going to have their quirks. Also, with the current incentives that Ford is offering right now on most all of their vehicles, you can lease a brand new edge and pay damn near cheaper if not the same amount of money, payment wise that you would pay for a used Edge! Just a thought.

My 07 hasn't given me any problems at all.. I believe that all year models are going to have their quirks. Also, with the current incentives that Ford is offering right now on most all of their vehicles, you can lease a brand new edge and pay damn near cheaper if not the same amount of money, payment wise that you would pay for a used Edge! Just a thought.

Leasing is tempting but we just put on too many miles. I think she's averaging about 2,000 miles per month right now.

Remember, when leasing a vehicle you have a budget on miles.. I understand it and at times, I hate it as well.. Those leasing mileage terms really only effect you if you turn the Ford in at the end of the lease and walk away and persue another vehicle other than Ford. If your lease ends and you know for a fact that you will lease or buy another Ford, they won't hit you with mileage overages. They work with their customers.. Just not if you don't buy from them again. My Wife and I are a Ford family, so we don't worry about mileage on leases.

It's been a long while since my wife and I leased but when I did, they wanted to roll over our excess mileage charge into our next vehicle.

So your saying if we leased for say 3 years and put an extra 20,000 miles above the lease limit, they wouldn't charge us as long as we leased another vehicle?

If you are buying used, are you looking for FWD or AWD? I know many of the earlier Edge's with AWD had a problem with a leaking seal on the PTO (or PTU depending on how you want to call it ) unit. I don't know what years the problem was common to.

What price range are you looking to stay in?

Edited by ls973800

Most likely FWD for better mileage and less potential problems. However, if we come across the right vehicle at the right price and it's AWD we would probabky get it.

I know it would be great for winter.

We are trying to get in undet $20k because we'll be rolling a little over from the loss of our trade in.

It's been a long while since my wife and I leased but when I did, they wanted to roll over our excess mileage charge into our next vehicle.

So your saying if we leased for say 3 years and put an extra 20,000 miles above the lease limit, they wouldn't charge us as long as we leased another vehicle?

I am saying just that.. I have never had any damages, mileage rolled over to a new lease purchase from Ford when going from one Ford to another! They work with you, as long as you stay with them. It's when you turn in and walk away, they get you!

Some things I noticed when test driving those years, some ACs didn't blow as hard as they should, some plastic panels looked faded. I haven't had any issues with my FWD '08 SEL. Bought it for $19k with 69k miles. Hope you find one that fits you!

20k seems a bit high considering the mileage and the model only being an SE. I am pretty sure I was seeing some lease options going out for SEL's and a few Limiteds in the mid 20's to high 20's, but on a lease...

20k seems a bit high considering the mileage and the model only being an SE. I am pretty sure I was seeing some lease options going out for SEL's and a few Limiteds in the mid 20's to high 20's, but on a lease...

It was last year, so the '08 wasn't as old, and it was an SEL that came from a dealer with a 3 yr warranty, since I knew I'd surpass the 75k mile original warranty, it seemed like a good price.

For the price, she is very nice.. I'd haggle with them and have them put leather seats in the vehicle.. Tell them that. The vehicle was smoked in and you have alergies, but the price is right.. Put leather in the vehicle and you have a deal.