Used Vehicles - Previous Owners Smoked - Yeah or Nay?

I must say I don't have anything against smokers.... it's just my wife and I are very sensative to it. We can smell it where many others can't (that's probably true for most lifelong non-smokers).

We looked at a vehicle this weekend and the owners obviously smoked in the vehicle. I don't think the smell will ever come out and "masking" it is not an option.

has anyone ever been able to complete remove the smoke from a vehicle?

If so, how?

Thanks.

Does this stuff really work? have you tried it?

You should be able to.

Some fabreeze and driving with the windows down, air freshener and maybe the vent clips should clear it up if you are that sensitive to it.

I just wonder if that would work. the shop we take our cars to does good work but their mechanics smoke. I can still smell smoke in my car several months after getting it back for repair and this was just from him taking it for a test drive and the smoke residue from his clothes. I know I sound like a panzy but I can truly smell smoke that much. It's not just the smell though. It actually has an effect on my airways. Hard to explain.

I would say stay clear from this car. The smoke not only leaves a bad smell but also "tars" all the electronics (computer, speakers, A/C, ...) in the car which could ultimately lessen their life span and lead to costly repairs down the line.

Just my 2 cents. Your call ;)

William

You will never get all the smoke smell out. It gets behind the panels, in the carpet padding, etc. where you can never clean it or Febreze it. You may think you have it smelling good, then a damp, rainy day comes along and the smell will surface again. I, too, am sensitive to smoke smells (actually allergic) and have had cars before with this problem. I'd advise you to keep looking for one that was non-smoker owned. When you are looking at used cars, always check the ashtray (if there is one)... if they have pretty smelling air freshener beads in it, keep moving. :)

Edited by Symbasys

You will never get all the smoke smell out. It gets behind the panels, in the carpet padding, etc. where you can never clean it or Febreze it. You may think you have it smelling good, then a damp, rainy day comes along and the smell will surface again. I, too, am sensitive to smoke smells (actually allergic) and have had cars before with this problem. I'd advise you to keep looking for one that was non-smoker owned. When you are looking at used cars, always check the ashtray (if there is one)... if they have pretty smelling air freshener beads in it, keep moving. :)

Good advice.

• 6 months later...

Very true. Cigarette smoke is like cat pee: it doesn't matter what product you use, you'll never get it out entirely. You'll think it's gone. And then on a humid day, it'll come back. I immediately walk away from a used car if I smell cigarette smoke.