URGENT - Hi beam flash on HID equipped models

I am planning on installing HID's on my 2013 SEL. I have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow to finally have them look at changing the programming of the DRL function from the headlights to the front turn signals.

My question is, on a factory HID equipped vehicle, what happens during the day when you flash hi beams?

I got thinking about this today. My headlights are always on. They run at a dimmed 10 volts during the day and full 13 volts at night. During the day, if I need to grab someones attention (at an intersection to signal ROW, etc,) I can flash my hi beams and the oncoming person can see the change in light. If you have a HID equipped vehicle and the headlights are off, does it flash the parking lights?

I may not want to switch the DRL function over if this is the case.

Any Canadian Limited owners with HID know what happens when you flash Hi beam during the day?

My guess is high. But wouldn't you know it, drove around for an hour trying to see an edge with turn signal DRL. Not a single one. Any other day would've seen 5.

I guess I could check at the dealership in the morning and see what happens on a limited with HID. Sucks if I have had to fight this long to get them to agree to change the programming and then want it changed back.

When you flash to pass, the HID bulb turns on & the shutter moves to give high beam. The same is true for standard Halogen bulb equipped Edges. (We are talking 2011+)

All you need is to connect the installed HID lights in place of the removed single filament bulb. Treat it as it were low beam system only. When flashing in the day time, the vehicle will turn on both.

Note: The flash to pass in stock HID set up (on my MKX and a friend's 13'Explorer) will turn on for ~1-2 seconds only regardless of how long (or briefly) you pull the signal stalk.

SUCCESS! Dealer reprogrammed the BCM and now I have the front turn signal lamps as my DRL's. Here is how they now operate on a Canadian 13 SEL.

Daytime:

DRL is turn signal lamp using high (bright) filament in the bulb. Activating turn signal makes them flash between bright and off

Headlights are off except when activating flash to pass. Headlights come on at full brightness with shutter up (high beam) and stay on as long as lever is pulled. Releasing lever instantly turns headlights off.

Nightime:

Headlights come on full brightness and turn signals are dim (running or parking lights). Activating turn signal flashes between dim and bright.

Best part, no charge. And even changed the oil for free too. Gotta like that.

• Like 1