jayson

This is my 1st time posting...I am a Ford/Lincoln Man (fusion/edge/taurus/flex/f150/MKZ/MKS/etc). Hope I did post correctly...if not I will modify this posting soon.

Links to my 0-60 videos are provided below (done on a friends property...a safe untravel private road). Links below will take you to another page with the same 2 links as below...then click 1 link (of the 2) again.

My car is a 2008 Taurus SEL 3.5 FWD Auto with 2.77 final drive, 215/60R17 tires, curb weight 3,741 LBS.

There is no smoke and mirrors with these 2 videos (on flat ground, tires same height as stock, with gas, seats and spare/jack in the car.

Hope to get some feedback/comments as I am a person always proud to say that I am a Ford Taurus owner...its quick (and smooth) enough to turn honda/toyota/nissan owners back toward Ford/Lincoln. People usually think its a 4 door Lexus Sport Sedan, Audi or infinityG35/37 (if they hop in without seeing what type of vehicle they are getting into)...surprise its a Ford Taurus (and it's fast)!

Enjoy, Jay

0-60 runs.doc

Edited by jayson

Forgot to mention that a dyno test has been done on the FWD 2010/2011 Taurus 3.5L V6 (non ecoboost). This was done om a Dynojet in 3rd gear (1.842:1 gear ratio)...same V6 as my 2008 Taurus (flywheel rated initially by Ford at 263-265HP & 249-250TQ. Can Anyone here guess what they got for peak HP/TQ (at the wheels)? This dyno was SAE corrected. No Cheating...I can give a link to the dyno sheet to show the true potential of the 3.5L V6.

Lastly, wanted to let people know that Porsche did have a large involvement in the engine design of the 3.0L V6 (and the 3.5/3.7L) and that Cosworth Racing Designed the cylinder heads specifically for the 3.5/3.7L V6. Some of you may already know this.

my email is jay@funicello.net for those who want to further discuss performance topics on an individual basis...as I cannot send messages or communicate with anyone individually until I have reached 5 posts (I think thats what I read?).

Jay

Edited by jayson

Hello Jay, I tried the links but they did not work for me? Anyways those are some pretty respectable 0-60 times.

What mods have you done to achieve these times? Also correct me if im wrong but those yr Tauruses have a CVT trans?

Can the mods you are doing be applied to the Edge platform?

I own a 2013 Edge awd 3.5L and I'm quite impressed with the acceleration, considering it weighs 4,200! But of course if we could benifit or improve that would be great.

Fordman, thank you...finally some feedback from someone. if you look up 2008 taurus 0-60 on a google or youtube search the video should pop up. Thanks for the compliment...I think its pretty good for where I started (6.7-6.8sec). I have hypertech tuner (dyno tuned from a ford edge 3.5 2009 by hypertech), a flowmaster exhaust and a homemade CAI (largest spectre cone filter they make about 9" long). I designed and tried out about 10 different intake tube designs over the past 1 year...the best is having the maf sensor (stock cut) going into a 4" pvc elbow with 4" back to the throttle body...yet just before throttle body it has a pvc fitting snuggly inside the 4" pvc that narrows the tube diameter down to ~3.5"...tube/intake works best if the curves/turns are very similiar to the stock setup. My 2008 taurus is the 263-265 hp/ 249 tq 3.5L with fwd with the auto tranny 6 speed (6f50)...cvt was five hundred 2005-2007.

Don't know if hypertech can tweak this tune for the 2013 (give them a call 901-382-8888)...yet it does work on the 2007-2009 ford edge 3.5. The CAI would work...just takes couple hours to fit...exhaust working? The 3.5L loves air...thats for sure.

hope the above helps,
Jay

Edited by jayson

Jay, I tried your links tonite and got them to work.

I must say from the videos she looks pretty strong!

As of now no tuners availible for the 2013 3.5L Edge. But I may take your advice and contact Hypertech. If they get enough interest they may produce a tuner.

4" CAI!!! That's huge!! Pvc is cheap and a easy material to work with for test purposes, and its not conductive to heat. Nice job. I suppose I could tinker with the Edge plumbing a bit for the cost of some pvc. I have a spare 4"x9" K&N cone filter from my mustang there's a start.

You mentioned flowmaster muffler. Which one? 3 chamber, 2 chamber, delta 40 series?

So you did what most engines like... more air in more air out.

Thanks for the stop watch tip. All you need is a baseline stock run and from there you can map your improvements,which you did. I actually own a Gtech pro accellerometer that maps 0-60 times very well. A tool I bought when I was playing with my mustang and thunderbird.

Oh yeah thanks for the correction on the CVT trans...the Five Hundred! Some reason I thought the Taurus had the CVT too.

This 3.5 is a strong little high rev-ing v6 mill. And by the little work you did you shaved a good amount if time off your 0-60.

Thanks for taking the time to post informative 3.5 v6 info/video on here.

• Like 1

FordMan,

Yes, I think its a good idea to contact Hypertech..they make a tuner if you get enough interest...say a group of 20 with a $50 deposit each toward their tuner (or something). I do think you could tinker with the Edge plumbing a bit for the cost of some pvc...I call it reverse tuning to make the current tune & exhaust best match with the intake to acheive the desired type of pedal response/drive/goals...each of the 10 different intake tubes made the vehicle change noticably (diameter, length, angles/bends).

I want to get a Gtech pro accellerometer that maps 0-60, 1/4. And thanks for the props (compliment) on th work I did to shave a good amount of time off 0-60.

I need to get exhaust paperwork out...think its 40 or 44 series with .25" larger than stock pipes?

Wanted to let you know that my videos were timed wrong...video staing 5.5sec 0-60 should be = 5.8sec and my other video stating 5.5-5.6sec 0-60 should be = 5.75sec.

I stopped frame by frame timing at 58.5-59mph due to thinking my speedo was slow/lagging. This due to using tire size 27.16" to calculate mph at certain rpms...using revs per minute was the correct way (meaning speedo is actually correct) which yielded the corrected times above.

Thanks,

Jay

Well I had some time this weekend to get a good 0-60 base run on my Edge.

I ran several 0-60 runs. Traction control on TC off. Selectshift no selectshift. Rev to 2000rpm and release brake. Of all these tests the Edge had the lowest 0-60 by just stabing the gas from idle with the TC off.

My Edge is a completely stock 2013 3.5L SEL AWD with 20" wheels. My runs were done using a g-tech pro accelerometer unit. My Edge has 7, 500 mi. I had 3/4 tank of 87oct fuel and air temp was 55* All runs I did were within a few hundreths of a sec of my best. Basically if you took all the runs to create an average I get 6.42sec 0-60.

My best was 6.35s. Not bad for a stock Edge!

I just thought I would share my results. I do plan on doing some mods and this will be a great tool to use for refetence of improvement each mod gives.

1st pic is just how I had the g-tech set up and its location.

2nd pic is the test data on my best 0-60 run.

post-24558-0-73608400-1371451682_thumb.jpg

post-24558-0-23050900-1371451726_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's a pretty fast time, FordMan! I always thought an Edge was in the 7.5 second range 0-60. Is your version of the g-tech unit accurate/replicable? I have an old old version I used over a decade ago, didn't find it to be reliable :( so I stopped using it.

Do you know what the stall speed is for the torque converter? Is that how you chose the rpms?

Very interested in your progress!

Well all I can say is I ran the Edge several runs and they all were within a couple hundreths of a second each test. Consistant 6.40-6.47 0-60. My best was the 6.35 but it only ran that one time. So that's why I did the average of all the runs and cane up with 6.42. I do believe my g-tech is quite accurate because the numbers were very close no freak runs. I do plan on doing a few more 0-60 tests another day just to confirm.

I know I'm a bit skeptical on the numbers too. But she does pull strong. I need to set up a youtube account so I can post some video. The 6.35 run was just stab the gas off idle with the TC off. When I tried to preload the converter @ 2000rpm the times were slower. I tried a couple of selectshift runs those were slower as well.

I know one thing the AWD is working!! Not a hint of wheel spin.... just go! !

1st pic is the g-tech I tested with.

2nd pic is another 0-60 run with the Edge.

post-24558-0-43145000-1371470565_thumb.jpg

post-24558-0-50440800-1371471044_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

FordMan,

WOW! Those are some (consistantly) smoking times...congrats. For an AWD weighing ~4300LBS (i think) that is fantastic. I heard g-tech is to be accurate to .1 sec (on average)...thus times should be 6.42 +/- .1 = 6.32 - 6.52 sec(6.3 - 6.55 sec rounded). If these numbers are within .1 sec of actual...adding a tuner/CAI should cut times to under 6 sec.

I do think Ford Engines need breaking in time before max performance is seen...possibly programmed by Ford to cut engine power/rpms of shifts by a certain degree to force us to breakin properly? This would equating to less faulty/weak parts wearing & breaking before warranty expiration = money saved by Ford & attaining higher reliability ratings?

Keep me/us posted,

Jay

Edited by jayson

Thanks Jay, its your fault...!!!

My Edge is my daily driver..... and now I'm doing 0-60 runs with it. I have a mustang and t-bird for the fun stuff. I just can't leave anything alone! But after your post I thought what the heck, and now I want to play with the Edge too!

I have found that my Edge is getting better gas mileage and the motor and drivetrain has a smoother/looser better feel. I agree with you as it breaks in its only going to get better.

FordMan1977,

I will take the blame...yet denying your sickness is the first step to overcome towards your recovery..ha kidding. Keep up the runs and keep me posted...I will look up what exhaust I have & Post (have not forgot).

I thought my MPG's were getting better on my explorer (last vehicle) until I thought about why (I have not done anything to the vehicle)...it was my tires were ~6/32" shorter (about 1/5") thus throws car computer off and the tires were now lighter and easier to turn...plus had less rolling resistance against road (after ~5-10K miles use)...this all equated to ~1 mpg or about a 6% difference (16.5mpg went to 17.5). Something to think about?

Jay