Plasti-Dip: Smoked Headlights

I've been recently intrigued with all the PD going on, so I decided to try some myself. I have a can of black and pearlizer for my grille. I have four cans of gloss for the headlights and to create a clear bra on the car. I also got a can of smoke, just to tone down the chrome in the headlights. I'm anxious to see how it comes out.

Taped off one:

20130717_164424_zps9d801585.jpg

First coat:

20130717_164616_zps116d2f22.jpg

Comparison to non-sprayed:

20130717_164612_zps5366799a.jpg

I'm skeptical, but hell, I'll just take it off if it isn't pretty. More to come.

This will probably be coming off tonight. It doesn't seem to let much light through, but I'll post pics later tonight of the beam in the dark.

The excess PD color:

20130717_173556_zpsd5fbe72d.jpg

Final product: Doesn't look bad, but I'm concerned with the light output.

IMG_20130717_175059_zpsa41e7f5b.jpg

With 5000k, 35W HIDs on:

20130717_175158_zps22d24af4.jpg

Mehhh... 6 light coats. To achieve the look I was going for, probably should have done more, but I'm not sure I'm going to keep this on. An experiment for everyone to see.

Edited by wannabang

What's funny is that there is a HUGE aftermarket of products for people to polish their headlights if they look anything like what you have done to yours!

I'm not criticizing what you did, just that that is completely different than what most people want with their headlights. A clean, crystal clear lense for maximum light output. Most states prohibit the adding of tint or colored lenses over the headlights and or taillights, or obscuring the light output.

I know for a fact that Ohio does, just ask my son who had put smoked lenses on his car years ago. Wasn't more than a week before the Ohio State Patrol pulled him over and made him remove them right then and there. My warning to him meant nothing, but the guy wearing a uniform and badge got his attention.

• Like 1

What's funny is that there is a HUGE aftermarket of products for people to polish their headlights if they look anything like what you have done to yours!

I'm not criticizing what you did, just that that is completely different than what most people want with their headlights. A clean, crystal clear lense for maximum light output. Most states prohibit the adding of tint or colored lenses over the headlights and or taillights, or obscuring the light output.

I know for a fact that Ohio does, just ask my son who had put smoked lenses on his car years ago. Wasn't more than a week before the Ohio State Patrol pulled him over and made him remove them right then and there. My warning to him meant nothing, but the guy wearing a uniform and badge got his attention.

I actually had that SAME thought. It's something I really didn't expect to work entirely well, but just thought it'd be fun to try. My town typically lets thing like tints and mods go. I know plenty of people with tinted tails and windows that haven't had issues, myself included... knock on wood.

I had thought a film might look better, and allow for more light output, but I wanted something easily removable.

I'll post night pics tonight, and I'll have a thread on the grille sometime in the next few days.

...state patrol...

I've thought of opening them. Not sure if I trust myself to.

Anyway, here's the night shots. Depending on how bad the driver's side is on my way to work tomorrow, I may make it darker and do both sides...

20130717_220403_zps7f3ff846.jpg

20130717_220354_zpsa67eb5ca.jpg

20130717_220343_zps211ab630.jpg

So it's obviously not as sharp, but the beam pattern also isn't jagged. I kind of like the color looking in the housing, but I do think, if I keep it, it needs to be a bit darker, to avoid the "foggy" look and apply the glossifier, to make it appear more like a film. We'll see how it is tomorrow.

Edited by wannabang

I'm an advocate of just about every mod out there... But, this was just a HORRIBLE idea.

Unless of course I was for your kid's science fair project, in which case, brilliant.

However, I did always wonder what the clear PD looked like.

It was with the smoke PD. The clear doesn't get grey like mine did, just makes whatever color it's on matte, or so appears on YouTube. I didn't put enough coats on to see the real smoke color, since I was scared the light wouldn't pass through enough. It definitely was an experiment, though. lol

I've often wondered why nobody has come up with some kind of electronic tint for headlights (or tail lights). Something like that material that is normally clear but will change to smoke or opaque black when a current is applied. You could have it cover the headlights, apply power when the ignition is on to black out the lights and then turn off the power when the headlights go on to make the cover clear again. Even better would be a material that is normally dark and goes clear when power is applied - that way they would be dark even with the car off and only go clear when the headlights are on. Best of both worlds - blackout look during the day with no loss of lighting at night.

I've often wondered why nobody has come up with some kind of electronic tint for headlights (or tail lights). Something like that material that is normally clear but will change to smoke or opaque black when a current is applied. You could have it cover the headlights, apply power when the ignition is on to black out the lights and then turn off the power when the headlights go on to make the cover clear again. Even better would be a material that is normally dark and goes clear when power is applied - that way they would be dark even with the car off and only go clear when the headlights are on. Best of both worlds - blackout look during the day with no loss of lighting at night.

Now that I could support.

Why hasn't it been done? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Edited by akirby

That would cost a fortune! Much cheaper to go with wannabang's PD cataracts :)

The company I used to work for made those opaque dimming mirror (just the crystals) components. They won't work in a pc plastic headlight, you'd need a glass one.

Well, the great thing about advancing technology is that things always end up coming down in price, so maybe someday such a thing will be available.

Another thought... what about something that's the reverse of those auto-tint eyeglasses? The glasses darken with light but if you could make them lighten with light then there would be no need for power connections and they could be made of plastic. Just turning on the headlights would provide enough light to make the lens lighten.

BTW, I want royalties if anyone actually makes these things. B)

Edited by TheWizard