2009 Edge SEL AWD Transmission Plan

windlake

I want to do transmission fluid flush this weekend myself. Where can I find it? I called dealer and they said it might not be servable, since it might on the right side of the transmission, not at the bottom. Is it true? can I do it myself or have to bring it to the dealer to get it done? Thanks a lot. It would be more helpful if someone can showsome pics, or someone can share some information from Repair Manual.

You can't "flush" it yourself without a transmission flush machine, but you can drain and fill it yourself. Pull the drain plug out of the bottom of the trans and let it drain, tighten plug and refill with 5 quarts fresh fluid. Start engine and let run for 3 minutes, moving the gear selector into each gear position. Repeat this procedure 2 more times, the final time checking to make sure the fluid is at the correct level. Done

And WTF how can a dealer not know if your transmission can be flushed or not? And why does it matter about whatever it is being on the bottom or side of the trans?? LOL they do this stuff every day!

• Like 2

You can't "flush" it yourself without a transmission flush machine, but you can drain and fill it yourself. Pull the drain plug out of the bottom of the trans and let it drain, tighten plug and refill with 5 quarts fresh fluid. Start engine and let run for 3 minutes, moving the gear selector into each gear position. Repeat this procedure 2 more times, the final time checking to make sure the fluid is at the correct level. Done

And WTF how can a dealer not know if your transmission can be flushed or not? And why does it matter about whatever it is being on the bottom or side of the trans?? LOL they do this stuff every day!

Thanks a lot thirdenlxi. Now I got it. So I am going to do the fluid replace. Another question is, do you know which one is the drain plug in the picture attached. No1, 2 or 3??

IMG 1302

Also, I find someone on Youtube can do the complete change by using the transmission hose return to radiator to drain out all fluid. please see the following pic and see if you can tell me which one is the one I should pull out and connect to an external pipe? and how to pull it out if you know??

IMG 1304

Edited by windlake

The drain is #1 in the pic. You would use the trans cooler hoses if you had a trans flush machine... that's how you hook it up is inline in the cooler hoses. I wouldn't risk just taking the hose off and starting it up to pump the fluid out, cuz eventually you're gonna run it dry. That's like changing your engine oil by taking the oil filter off, attaching a hose and running it until it's empty. It might work, but just not something I would risk

• Like 3

Sorry thirdgenlxi, I attached the same pic twice. The pic has been fixed now, The 2nd pic is for trans hoses. I will see if I can pull the hose off if you can show me which one is trans cooler hose. I will keep adding the new fluid when draining out the old fluid, but not will let it dry. I check the vedio on Youtube and it seems works well. I checked the whole Internet but could not find any valueable info. Hope this post with your advice can help others who don't know much about this. Again, thanks for your help. Really Appreciated!!

Don't even worry about the lines on the side..... just drain and fill it. There is a little block on the side of the transmission where the lines snap into, and it is a thermo valve, meaning it closes and restricts any fluid flow to (through) the cooler when the fluid is below a certain temperature (exactly what temp it is, I forget.... but it has to be pretty hot).... it's not circulating all the time. You have to sit there and power brake it to get the fluid hot enough for the valve to open and start circulating. Trust me, just do it the way I described above and you won't have any problems. It's the simplest, cleanest, and safest way to do it yourself. Don't even touch the cooler lines unless you plan on hooking them up to a flush machine

• Like 2

thirdgenlxi, you are right. I am not a mechanic and don't have enough skills. Your way is the best option for people like me. If you don't mind, could you give me an estimate how much fluid I need to prepare to do 3 times change? My trans capacity is 10 litres and the guy at Ford Parts Department gave me 8 bottles (8 litres) and said that should be enough (maybe just for 1 change). I guess I should get at least 12 litres more in order to do all 3 changes at one time (5 litres in and drain for 3 times and another 5 litres for the final). Is that correct? Thanks a lot.

You'll need 15 quarts total to do it 3 times. Each time you drain it out it takes 5 quarts to fill it back up. May want to pick up 1 extra quart just in case it takes a little bit more to top it off after the last fill. Remember to go and drive it around for a bit then check the fluid level hot, engine running, on level ground

• Like 1

thirdgenlxi, I got my work done. Changed Spark Plugs and Transmission oil. It took 13 liters for 3 changes. First time working on this kind of job. So far nothing wrong, will check for the next few days. Thank you very much, your comments helps a lot. Really appreciated.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

On my 2004 Ford Escape I just disconnected my transmission line and put the hose in a one gallon bottle. Then I had my wife turn the engine on until I got 4 quarts then had her shut it off. Then replace the 4 quarts that pumped out with new. Then just keep repeating this process until you see clean fluid. Just replace exactly what you remove. I drove the car first for 15 minutes to warm everything up prior to the procedure. We also shifted through the gears each time. This is not a good idea if you have a lot of miles. I used to drop 4 quarts every 10k and I did the full flush when I hit 100,000.

• Like 2

Isn't there a filter to change behind the transmission pan?

The filter is inside the transmission unit itself(not pan) and can only be changed when the transmission is removed from the vehicle.

That it why it is important to change the transmission fluid in the Edge every 30k-50k miles or so to minimize the amount of metal particles that the filter is subjected to so the filter can last as long as possible by keeping fresh fluid inside the unit, because older fluid lubricate less and allows more wear inside the gears that creates more metal particles in the fluid which accelerate filter saturation.

Edited by carguy75

• 5 weeks later...

No I did not but then again why? 2008 Edge ran great doing the same thing and tranny was great when I traded it with over 285K miles on it. However I get my results does not mean I am right or wrong. The same goes for your manner of maintenance as being right or wrong. We will both do what works for each. My edge made it to 285K miles on the original transmission. Let me know when you get there on yours.

While you were getting the lip service the manual says to run the gear shift through all positions to purge all old fluid and air out.

Did ya clean the magnetic drain plug?