THE EXHAUST THREAD

Anthony Bergonzo

Ok so I had someone rear end me recently and I came across an opportunity to get a new exhaust.

The only setup I see is Gibson and Magnaflow. The Gibson seems that no one even tried installing and there are no sound clips available. The Magnaflow is a bit more expensive however the change in sound seems so small. I am not looking for gains in HP,I want a better sounding car. Comparing a complete setup from Magnaflow to the custom setups I see others have tried, the Magnaflow seems lacking and diminished in quality of sound. There is a resonator in the front then a muffler in the rear, and I feel that takes away from the real sound of the engine. What would your optimal setup be and what have you tried and like/don't like about what you have. There are a few random threads that go off into tangents about other mods so lets stick strictly to the topic here.

I am only looking to see what those with the 3.7L Sport have so I can compare apples to apples here.

I'd like to upgrade my exhuast as well. I had a Jeep SRT8 prior to the Edge Sport and fell in love with the Jeep because of the sound, but eventually had to let it go due to engine, transmission problems and poor fuel economy. The edge is great and initially I enjoyed the quiet ride but after a few months I have come to miss the rumble of the engine. I'd like something a little more throaty but not so much so it sets my neighbors alarm off. I had that problem with my Jeep, it would set the neighbors car alarm off when I started it.

I understand the 3.7L in the sport is the same engine as the V6 mustang and I love the mustang sound. How can we get this sound from our Edge Sports?

• 7 months later...

I have a 2011 Edge Sport. I too was looking to upgrade my exhaust system and get a little rumble. I was at my local performance exhaust shop looking for suggestions. Option 1 remove both rear mufflers and add pipes with original tips $260. Option 2 was to add the Magnaflow's for $500. Option 1 sounded pretty good up on the rack and half the price so I went for it. Big mistake on my part. It is really loud to drive and I am taking it back to be fixed. The shop is suggesting to add AP resonators at $120 a piece where the old mufflers were. Any thoughts on putting the resonators where the old mufflers were? The shop is holding onto my old mufflers for me as a backup plan.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 months later...