Scratched Rim

Lbaz

Hey Forum,

Scratched the rim on an unseen curb on my less than 2 week old Edge Sport while grabbing a ticket for a parking garage.

Highly annoyed at myself.

Anybody know if this is repairable? Is there any chance Ford will replace?

Im in the New York City metro Area (Queens).

Thankspost-26861-0-88674000-1375627822_thumb.jpgpost-26861-0-54233000-1375627831_thumb.jpg

Actually, it does not look that bad..you're lucky! I would try some rubbing compound like Meguiar's 105 and a micro fiber. Just keep rubbing until it improves. Don't go overboard, as the coating on those is thin, but for sure after a few attempts, it will clean up substancially.

I concur.

If you ever get a really bad one, you'll have to replace the wheel for it to look right. No refinisher can do it right, because the factory ones are painted by a robot with a stencil, leaving no paint lines.

Three of mine have been replaced because of careless ford techs and a terrible car wash in Savannah, GA.

• 3 weeks later...

I joined the "Curb Rash" club the same way trying to get close to a ticket booth. However, my rash was much deeper and ran about 1/3 of the way around the wheel. I just had the four Perellis replaced and while the tire was off the rim, sanded and polished as much of the gouges out.

The chrome finish layer was actually thicker than I thought it would be and was able to take off most of the finer scratches. My rash was so bad though that the wheel still looked horrible when I reached the limit of the chrome layer. So, knowing I was going to have to replace the wheel, I went ahead and kept sanding until I reached bare aluminum. The rim is now smooth, but there is a noticeable difference in the appearance between the chrome and bare aluminum. I have some ideas on how to reduce the contrast, but I will try them first before posting the one that worked best.

Couple of tips if you want to try sanding down the rash.

1) mask off the undamaged areas. All of the way up to the scratch. (including the tire)

- use electrical tape instead of standard masking or blue painters tape. Electrical tape won't pull up when wet sanding.

2) Start with a 600 grit wet sandpaper and work your way up to 2000 grit. Keep it wet.

3) alternate sanding directions 90 degrees when changing grits.

4) Take your time. Be sure to regularly wipe off and check to make sure you do not go sand through the chrome finish. (Wet the area when inspecting. You will be sanding off the clearoat finish that leaves a milky finish when dry. Water will clear it up so you can inspect the chrome.)

5) After the 2000 grit sanding, rinse and lightly apply rubbing compound with a sponge applicator attached to an electric drill. I used the sponge applicator from a 3M headlight restoration kit I had laying around.

6) wash off the wheel and tire with soap and water (keep the electrical tape on).

7) rub in a thin coat of car wax, let dry.

8) using a powered buffer pad, thoroughly polish the area.

9) remove the electrical tape.

10) repeat the wax and buffing step on the entire wheel.

Just take your time and keep an eye on the chrome thickness.

Edited by kc300c

I joined the "Curb Rash" club the same way trying to get close to a ticket booth. However, my rash was much deeper and ran about 1/3 of the way around the wheel. I just had the four Perellis replaced and while the tire was off the rim, sanded and polished as much of the gouges out.

The chrome finish layer was actually thicker than I thought it would be and was able to take off most of the finer scratches. My rash was so bad though that the wheel still looked horrible when I reached the limit of the chrome layer. So, knowing I was going to have to replace the wheel, I went ahead and kept sanding until I reached bare aluminum. The rim is now smooth, but there is a noticeable difference in the appearance between the chrome and bare aluminum. I have some ideas on how to reduce the contrast, but I will try them first before posting the one that worked best.