Sync Update

I have a 2008 Edge with the Gen1 Sync at version 1.3. I was just Quoted over $300 to get the system update. Syncmyride says I have an update to version 2.1 available and it is a dealer only update.

has anyone else been quoted a price like this for the update? Are there other upgrades that are done as well? It just seems a little outrageous for a software update.

Brad

CAREFULL 2.1 & 3.6 sound like two different platforms- the '08 being SYNC & the 3.6 being MFT. The MFT are downloaded to a USB from web site & free. The dealer can also do & MOST if not all do not charge at all. In the beginning - 2-3 years ago the dealers TRIED to charge to do a MFT update & were pulverized back into the ground. The dealer that tried to pull that one on me- saying we did 1.8 to v2.3 we are not doing the next - what did they have vision of the 9 more to come?? - They had to cut me a check as GOODWILL after I opened up a case file & escalated the issue. They will not see a $50K purchase from me again. I am happy with the next dealer I choose to do my service. Moral- Give that one the BIG salute & choose another.

• Like 1

I was quoted $180 from my dealer (in Ontario), although the service rep that quoted me this said this is what he thinks it costs and it wasn't an official quote.

He also didn't know what the update does as far as what i get more in 2.1 from 1.3, overall, he believed it adds 911 functionality and he did not think the update was worth the money.

The cost of this is update is outrageous at any price, I understand they made it dealer only upgrade as it might brick the system, but give me a break, it takes less than 10 minutes to do the update.

Shame they do not pair it with another service Like come in for oil change & get the sync update thrown in or the 19.99 oil change can be upgrade to 39.99 "the works" & in addition to the more BS than anything else of "checking" your fluids & inspecting belts do the sync update at nominal charge. I duno but walmart washer fluid at $1.29 & last a while - I do not need dealer for that one...

My vehicle is MLT but wife's is 1st gen sync & we choose not to upgrade years ago - when -at the time the adds were for $99 to add 911 assist & VHR. BUt we do use the dealer for the $17.76 oil change ~still under $20 after tax & fees.

Has anyone done this Sync upgrade. I just called the dealer and they quoted me $100.00 and said they hadn't done any in a long time. He then came back and told me to download it on a USB and do it myself. However the website says you can only have the dealer do it. Is it really worth it. I really don't care about the 911 upgrade. Does it do anything else that would make it worth it?.

Thanks anybody for your advice.

You probably have a 2010 or older model year Ford, correct?

You can only upgrade v1 Sync to 1.3 via USB.

If you wanted to upgrade to v2 Sync (which adds VHR and 911 assist) then you need to go to the dealer (they have to install a new module in the car), this is essentially version 2.0. You can then upgrade via USB to v2.1. Your dealer should only charge $80 or so for this upgrade. On my old Taurus (company car) it only took 30 minutes to install module and 1 hour to update firmware)

You can NOT upgrade a v1 Sync vehicle any higher than v2.1 (for reference v3 adds traffic and what not).

All of this information pertains to NON Touch versions of Sync.