Need help choosing the right Edge

Red2149

Hi-

I've been looking for a new (used/CPO but newer than what I have now) car and have really come to like the Ford Edge. I have a 2009 Ford Fusion SE and have been so happy with my purchase. I bought it new in 2008 and have 72,000 miles on it now. It's in awesome condition, and I'm looking to trade it in, though my loan isn't paid off yet. I'm just at the point where some dealerships will make me carry over about $1000 to my new loan, some make it a wash, others are giving me a couple thousand for it.

After reading through the forum here though I have to say I'm nervous, it seems like there's a lot of bugs/issues with these cars...though this is a forum to talk about them so I guess it seems more prevalent. What cars don't have issues anyway?

I've driven a Kia Sorento, Hyundai Tucson and Ford Edge over the last couple of weeks, and while I like them all for many different reasons, I really love the look of the Ford Edge. I'm having a really hard time choosing which Edge to get. I live in CT and hate driving in the snow, so for me, I'm looking at the AWD option so I feel more comfortable in the winter. My Fusion, while it doesn't have snow tires, sucks in the snow. I work in health care so there is no not going to work on a bad snow day.

There's a 2010 Ford Edge Limited with 29,503 miles on it selling for $26,980, down from 31. Just came off lease, it has leather seats, navigation and the vista roof. I already test drove it and loved the ride, and the dealership was surprisingly friendly and not pushy at all.

There's a 2011 Ford Edge Limited CPO with 31,427 miles on it selling for $29,295, but it also has the trailer tow and vision packages and adaptive cruise control.

There's a 2011 Ford Edge SEL CPO with 27,923 selling for $27,477.

And lastly, a 2013 Ford Edge Limited with 33,572 selling for $27,957 but they offered it to me today for 25. No vista roof on this one which I really was wanting.

They are all AWD but the only one that's really loaded is the 2011 with 31,427. That has the push button start that I was also excited about.

Thoughts anyone and everyone?? Really need some advice.

Thanks!

The 2011 seems like a great deal to me. With what it comes with, it's roughly 10k cheaper than what I paid brand new and you don't have to break the engine in :) I live in Germany and there was a moderate amount of snow here last year. I only have FWD and the Edge did great. I have never driven in more than 2ft of snow in the Edge, so I don't really know what that's like.

Even though there are some bugs with MFT, IMO the pros outweigh the cons. It is a great system to use and I am really happy I have it. The new look of the 2011+ models, inside and out, is a plus too.

From what I have seen. The only thing the 2013 model has over the 2011 is turn signals incorporated into the side-view mirrors.

These are just some things I noticed in reading your post right off the bat. Hope you find the one that is right for you!

+1 on the 2011 Limited.

AWD = FWD 90+% of the time. Handy to have for peace of mind if constantly challenged by bad road conditions.

More importantly, your 2011 Limited is a CPO. You definitely want to get a vehicle that has plenty of warranty tacked to it. Once the manufacturer b2b warranty is over, you have a powertrain warranty, so that will cover engine & transmission issues. Go through the warranty guide to see the individual components covered. Consider a Ford extended warranty (ESP), which you can get a great price for off the internet, or haggle into your financing with the dealer.

Make sure there are no transmission leaks, or that they have been addressed. PCM should have been flashed to the latest update, as should MFT. See if you can get a printout of the OASIS report for that Edge to see service history, though it won't necessarily include ALL the work done to the Edge, because it will show stuff CarFax and AutoCheck wouldn't.

Check the paint condition carefully, preferably with a paint meter to judge how much paint is remaining, and whether body work has been done.

Tire reviews: check them out for the tires currently on the vehicle, look at tread remaining also.

Since it is a 2011, hopefully brake responsiveness will not be an issue. Older models had a weaker assisted system. Ask about pad life remaining. Check rotors for grooving/warping. This is one expense most likely not to be covered by warranty. If you do have to get pads/rotors replaced after purchase, I would recommend going with high-quality aftermarket. Could be at the end of useful pad life if still OEM, not knowing what the previous owner's braking habits were.

Doors should close without effort. Examine for differences between driver and passenger side door to get a feel, if necessary. I think CPO will cover issues with that, but not sure. The door latch problem is well known, and seems to be a problem with the electronics getting gunked up.

Make sure they give you a new cabin air filter, or at least pull it out and show you. Mine was F-I-L-T-H-Y.

Look through the checklist of maintenance performed to get CPO certification. They should have performed an oil/filter change, checked the other fluid levels (including transmission), changed the air filter, and preferably changed the wipers too. Battery should be holding a good charge, and the terminals should look clean. Look at the date on the battery to get an idea of how old it is, and how soon you might have to replace it. I am guessing it is still OEM.

Hope this is of help to you.

• 2 months later...

With the 14"s on the way..you might want to consider a new 13.. I just bought a new 2013 SE AWD with the 101A group. 18" Aluminum Wheels and Michelin tires. Not fancy, but neither am I. $31,725 Sticker for $25k.. Less taxes ,title,tags..26K out the door. Beats all the loaded up used quotes and full factory warranty.

Hey everyone, sorry I didn't get back on here sooner.

I ended up buying a 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD with the 302A package...she's AMAZING! Had 27,000mi on her, one previous owner who kept it looking more than new. She's white with a medium stone interior. I got her for $27000 and I bought the 100,000 mi 6 yr bumper to bumper warranty. I am pretty obsessed with my car and seriously get excited to get up in the morning and drive to work. I'm getting 21mpg on the highway, and 19-20 around town. So, how'd I do? :)