Has anyone installed these speakers?

I'm wondering if anyone had replaced their factory speakers with THESE.

When I enter my vehicle information at Crutchfield it brings up items that will fit.

I filtered for 6"x8", then sorted by user reviews. These Infinity Kappa 682.7cf top the short list.

They show the little green check mark and say Fits until I click to bring up the page of these speakers alone. It then says "This item does not fit".

So I wonder, do they fit or do they don't?

post-1289-1191942249_thumb.jpeg

Anyone?

It says they fit when I'm looking at the list but says not when looking at the particular speaker page.

I looked at these a couple weeks ago and swear they said they fit on all pages then.

Weird.

ClubwagonXLT:

The factory ones are ok but they're far from excellent.

I want to install better speakers, an amplifier, and a sub-woofer while keeping the factory head unit. (I have the 4 speaker, no-sub stereo)

I spend the majority of my driving time on the Interstate and when the weather is nice and the BAMR is open the stereo is just underpowered.

I don't want to blow away my neighbors but I want better sound.

It says they fit when I'm looking at the list but says not when looking at the particular speaker page.

I looked at these a couple weeks ago and swear they said they fit on all pages then.

Weird.

ClubwagonXLT:

I want to install better speakers, an amplifier, and a sub-woofer while keeping the factory head unit. (I have the 4 speaker, no-sub stereo)

I spend the majority of my driving time on the Interstate and when the weather is nice and the BAMR is open the stereo is just underpowered.

The factory speakers are terrible. 5x7 speakers should definitely fit, 6x8 usually fit with an adapter. If you're not sure call Crutchfield and ask them.

ClubwagonXLT:

YOU WANT TO DO ALL THAT BUT KEEP THE FACTORY HEADUNIT? WHY?

YOU WILL NEVER GET THE FULL CAPABILITY OF ALL THE SPEAKERS YOU WANT WITH A FACTORY HEADUNIT. iT JUST DOESN'T HAVE A WIDE ENOUGH RANGE.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS.

The factory speakers are terrible. 5x7 speakers should definitely fit, 6x8 usually fit with an adapter. If you're not sure call Crutchfield and ask them.

Crutchfield says all 4 door speakers are 6x8

YOU WANT TO DO ALL THAT BUT KEEP THE FACTORY HEADUNIT? WHY?

YOU WILL NEVER GET THE FULL CAPABILITY OF ALL THE SPEAKERS YOU WANT WITH A FACTORY HEADUNIT. iT JUST DOESN'T HAVE A WIDE ENOUGH RANGE.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS.

For a couple reason, including keeping the factory look. Not having to do an adapter leaving another opening/cubby below the stereo, the fact that I can install a new head unit later, $, etc.

The factory stereo doesn't look all that bad and the Sirius and in-dash 6-disk CD changer wouldn't have to be tampered with.

I don't want or need a DVD player in the dash. I'll never use it.

I figure get the sound up to par while keeping the stock look... for now.

Crutchfield says all 4 door speakers are 6x8

For a couple reason, including keeping the factory look. Not having to do an adapter leaving another opening/cubby below the stereo, the fact that I can install a new head unit later, $, etc.

The factory stereo doesn't look all that bad and the Sirius and in-dash 6-disk CD changer wouldn't have to be tampered with.

I don't want or need a DVD player in the dash. I'll never use it.

I figure get the sound up to par while keeping the stock look... for now.

ok I gotcha..but you 'could' do a double din with dvd and just not use it.. for only a little more $$ then a single din, and not have any cheesy cubby

I am not trying to push anything just saying..but with the Pioneer AVIC-Z1orZ2 you wont need a 6 disc cd changer..once you insert the cd one time after about 10 mins all of the music is ripped off the cd and stored to a harddrive. Its freaking awesome.

Not to jack a thread or try to get compliments..just to show a pic..this looks pretty close to stock to me..IMO better..once again jmo..

you be the judge.

post-1664-1191958925_thumb.jpg

Edited by Abrannan19

scoopo, I've replaced both pairs of door speakers of my 'Premium' system. I used a VERY-high-quality 6-1/2" driver for the fronts...

Leftclose_800w.jpg

...and 8" bass/midrange drivers for the rears.

Rightrear8incher_700w.jpg

Both of these 'fit' thru the use of a hacksaw and ducttape. :shades:

Both sets of drivers are driven full range, but since I've added Infinity-brand 1"-dome tweeters to the instrument panel...

Tweeterinstalled_1000w.jpg

...I'll be adding low-pass inductors to the front-door units to reduce their treble output.

I did this in stages, the fronts first. That improved the sound quality--reducing the system's edginess--SO much I could hardly believe it. However the system was still shy of bass and lower-midrange energy, so I found and installed the 8" B/MR units in the rear doors. The system now has significantly more energy in the lower-MR/upper-bass and sounds MUCH better--warmer, richer--still. The tweets on the instrument panel moved lots of the music to the front (instead of from around my knees). I've lowered the filter points of the tweets' hi-pass filters dramatically, from 2.5KHz 2nd-order to 1.5KHz 1st-order*, so even more of the music is in front of me.

The bass/MR drivers I got from Madisound... http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...d79736b42a4d85c ...only $30 each. The 6-1/2" B/MR drivers are by Sonic Craft but are discontinued and are being closed out at $10 each IN A CARTON OF 24. I have extras, so if you're interested in them at $11 each brandnew, plus shipping, e-mail me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net. JIC you're wondering, I REALLY love the sound of these drivers, and here are my home systems to prove it.

NewTV_600w.jpg

28May07TVnewCCfmrt_700w.jpg

* I don't listen at high levels, so this is safe to do. If you do listen at high levels, I suggest retaining the original hi-pass filters.

Edited by jeffreybehr

Abrannan19:

That DVD head unit is nice.

I really like the CD ripping feature.

I had figured on installing an after market head unit after I got the speakers, amp, and sub all sorted out and installed. (then recovered financially again)

I'll definitely be looking closer at one of those now though. Maybe go ahead and get it all done at once after all.

jeffreybehr:

Dude! That's one helluva system you have in your home. Nice!

Are the tweeters in your Edge the little thing on the dash up near the windshield? That's interesting. Was it a pain to run the wires?

I don't think I'm all that interested in busting out the hacksaw and duct tape so I believe I'll have to pass on the great deal you're offering for the B/MR drivers.

I got in a short chat session with a Crutchfield Product Advisor briefly yesterday.

He said the Infinity Kappa 682.7cf speakers will fit in the front door but not in the back.

He then said the Infinity Reference 6822cf reference speakers would fit.

I guess I need clarification on that (didn't have a lot of time when we were chatting) because I'm seeing the first set specs showing 2 1/4" Top Mount Depth and 2 3/4" Bottom Mount Depth while the reference set shows 2 7/16" Top Mount Depth and N/A Bottom Mount Depth. That's 1/16" more on the reference set than on the first set for Top Mount Depth.

Now I will freely admit I am no expert on this stuff but that doesn't appear to calculate.

Another speaker question while I'm at it.

What would you all recommend for a sub-woofer enclosure?

I'd like to install the sub in the side where the factory audiophile sub goes. Someone (can't remember who offhand) installed an after market sub there and it looked really good.

As I don't have the factory sub is this even an option? If so, anyone have some dimensions for a custom box that would fit?

All the boxes I've found so far are stand-alone enclosures and most have black "carpet" on them. I don't think that would look very good with my camel interior.

Thanks for all the input and assistance ;)

Edited by scoopo

Abrannan19:

That DVD head unit is nice.

I really like the CD ripping feature.

I had figured on installing an after market head unit after I got the speakers, amp, and sub all sorted out and installed. (then recovered financially again)

I'll definitely be looking closer at one of those now though. Maybe go ahead and get it all done at once after all.

jeffreybehr:

Dude! That's one helluva system you have in your home. Nice!

Are the tweeters in your Edge the little thing on the dash up near the windshield? That's interesting. Was it a pain to run the wires?

I don't think I'm all that interested in busting out the hacksaw and duct tape so I believe I'll have to pass on the great deal you're offering for the B/MR drivers.

I got in a short chat session with a Crutchfield Product Advisor briefly yesterday.

He said the Infinity Kappa 682.7cf speakers will fit in the front door but not in the back.

He then said the Infinity Reference 6822cf reference speakers would fit.

I guess I need clarification on that (didn't have a lot of time when we were chatting) because I'm seeing the first set specs showing 2 1/4" Top Mount Depth and 2 3/4" Bottom Mount Depth while the reference set shows 2 7/16" Top Mount Depth and N/A Bottom Mount Depth. That's 1/16" more on the reference set than on the first set for Top Mount Depth.

Now I will freely admit I am no expert on this stuff but that doesn't appear to calculate.

What would you all recommend for a sub-woofer enclosure?

I'd like to install the sub in the side where the factory audiophile sub goes. Someone (can't remember who offhand) installed an after market sub there and it looked really good.

As I don't have the factory sub is this even an option? If so, anyone have some dimensions for a custom box that would fit?

All the boxes I've found so far are stand-alone enclosures and most have black "carpet" on them. I don't think that would look very good with my camel interior.

Thanks for all the input and assistance ;)

post-788-1192082752_thumb.jpg

Edited by alwaysbikn

jeffreybehr:

Dude! That's one helluva system you have in your home. Nice! TYVM; it sounds WONDERFUL.

Are the tweeters in your Edge the little thing on the dash up near the windshield? Yes.

That's interesting. Was it a pain to run the wires? No; the underside of the instrument panel is quite uncluttered.

I don't think I'm all that interested in busting out the hacksaw and duct tape so I believe I'll have to pass on the great deal you're offering for the B/MR drivers. OK; your loss. :-)

What would you all recommend for a subwoofer enclosure?

I'd like to install the sub in the side where the factory audiophile sub goes. Someone (can't remember who offhand) installed an after market sub there and it looked really good. Jillo did.

All the boxes I've found so far are stand-alone enclosures and most have black "carpet" on them. I don't think that would look very good with my camel interior. Search Crutchfield's site for powered subwoofers (NOT 'sub-woofers'). I bought an Infinity BassLink II... http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MWePinKGfSS/A...ofer&tp=114 ...but haven't yet installed it. When I bought mine, the $200 50WPC-times-4 poweramp module was included at no extra cost. THAT'll save you some money you can spend on a frontend. :happy feet:

I have Infinity Kapa's front and rear...with a 10" Pioneer shallow mount sub in a custom box and a Kicker 5 chanl. amp driving the whole system with the stock deck....it ROCKS!!!

So the Infinity Kapas fit in the rear doors?

Were there any issues with the fit? If so, what was necessary to mount them properly?

I'd love to have 4 of those puppies! I'd go ahead and get 2 sets of those right now if I knew they'd fit without my having to bust out my mad mangling skills on my new car. ;)

That sub setup you've got would work for me. There's a custom box behind the panel? Was it trial and error or do you have dimensions?

Your setup is almost exactly what I'm wanting to do!

I looked at those DVD Navigation head units with hard drives Abrannan19 posted about.

I expected them to cost but I got a touch of sticker shock anyway.

I believe I'm gonna have to wait on one of those and stick with the factory head unit as originally planned... for the time being at least.

jeffreybehr:

That Infinity BassLink II looks very nice.

I will do some reading on that.

Presumably if I purchased a powered sub I could tone back my amp shopping to a 4-channel model rather than the 5- and 6-channel models I'm looking at currently.

Jillo! That's right! If I recall hers didn't have the extra plate/panel/wood/whatever I see on alwaysbikn's.

Sooo many options! I wish I was better informed/educated on car stereo equipment.

Thanks for all the input, everyone! Great stuff!

The Kapa's fit the front and rear perfectly. The holes in them line up with the holes in the door from the factory speakers and there is just enough room by the window motor to mount the cross over.

I don't have any dimensions for the sub box....I had a professioal mobile install guy come to my house and build/install the box, sub and amp. He used the extra wood panel on mine to get the box bolted nice and tight to the plastic panel so there is no rattles....I'm sure there are several ways to mount it though.

I have Infinity Kapa's front and rear...with a 10" Pioneer shallow mount sub in a custom box and a Kicker 5 chanl. amp driving the whole system with the stock deck....it ROCKS!!!

Hey alwaysbikn.... can you tell me which 5 channel Kicker amp you used? Really considering this kind of setup and would rather use tried/true stuff... :happy feet:

I used the Kicker ZX700 5.5 amp. It has high pass inputs you run the stock speaker wires from the radio into and also has a bass knob. The base knob is pretty cool because the stock radio only gives you so much control. I bought all the gear online and saved alot of money off of retail and I found a mobile installer on Craigs list to help me decide wich gear to get and he also installed eveything. The system sounds realy good. Very clear, has a lot of volume now and the bass incredible!! It is clear and plays all types of music very well.

I used the Pioneer TS SW2541D 4 the sub. It is a shallow mount 10" that only requires about .5 cubic feet so the box is nice and small.

http://www.rivermacomber.com/

Here is the link to the installers web site. Look for the link to the 2007 Edge and he has a few more pictures there as well.