Fuel mileage

ranferg

The wife filled up last night on the way home and checked her mileage as she always does. It was only 19MPG, down from 22 approx. 1 week before. The only thing that's been done is an oil change and air filter change. I used the proper weight synthetic oil that's called for. Any thoughts or ideas on this? I also noticed a transmission leak when I was under there. Nothing serious but leaks don't typically get better.

ranferg,

You didn't say what year your car is but shouldn't make too much difference. I have 13 SEL , normally been getting 24/25 MPG. I have been getting gas at the same station. I got one tank that I couldn't get over 22mpg no matter what I did. So I'm guessing a cheaper grade gas was dumped in the stations tank. I see a no name truck delivers so hard to tell what brand gas it is.

I'm thinking you got a bad / low grade fill up this time.

I had a average of 24.7 for 2400 miles. Got the bad tank of gas, took me down to 24.1, I'm now back up to 24.5 for 3007 miles.

Larry

Northern,Indiana

If you're not getting pre-ignition or misfires, it's not likely the fuel. More probable is that lower fuel economy is a refection of a change in driving pattern - either heavier acceleration wth harder braking, heavier stop-and-go traffic, or a change in geography (hills vs plain). Even driving the same route daily to work and back can vary in fuel efficiency if you leave at different times (5 mins can make a big difference in traffic congestion). Just sayin'.

Gas companies even admit that they buy their gasoline from a pipeline which is shared by other brands. What is different is perhaps the additives that those companies add after they get their gas. Even Quik Trip which is a top tier gasoline supplier admits they do not refine their own gasoline.

Where does QuikTrip get its gasoline?

QuikTrip is an American-owned, privately held company with a 50-year history in the convenience store/gasoline retail industry. The gasoline and diesel fuel we offer to our customers is purchased from various refineries all located in the U.S.

There have recently been a number of questions raised about whether QuikTrip buys gasoline from Middle Eastern or South American countries. We do not purchase any crude oil or have any influence on the purchasing decisions made by the companies who own the refineries.

As an independent marketer, we do not operate any pipelines or terminals; we are strictly a retailer of quality motor fuels and convenience items to consumers in our markets.

All gasoline marketers in the United States get their gasoline from various terminals in their cities. This gasoline has been mixed in pipelines with gasoline from a number of refineries. Although we may purchase our gasoline from a specific refiner, the gasoline we actually pull out of the pipeline is really generic. Even retail outlets of major oil companies end up drawing their gasoline out of the same pipeline as everyone else.

I just returned from a 3000 mile trip with 95% open interstate highway both ways. I cruised at 70 MPH (5 MPH under the limit) and averaged 24.5 mpg with the first 3 fill ups. My last fill up was with Shell and the mileage went down to 20.1! Same driving conditions, same road, etc. It was definitely something with the gasoline from Shell.

This was with our other car, not the Edge.