Ford Remote Access / Remote Start via Smartphone

Not sure if I've missed seeing anyone posting about it here in the forum, but I just found this:

http://accessories.ford.com/aerial-asy-10667.html

Remote Access Makes Your Smartphone a Virtual Keyfob
Sean Johnston,
5/30/2013post-23002-0-50454300-1379886821_thumb.jpeg

Right now, the Remote Access system is available on the F-150, Super Duty®, Edge, Explorer and Lincoln MKX if your vehicle is a 2011 Model Year, or newer. You can also purchase it if you drive a 2013 model year or newer Taurus, Flex, Lincoln MKS or Lincoln MKT. Contact your local dealer for more information on pricing and availability. More vehicles will be added in the future, so stay tuned!

I have a message into my dealer to see if I can add this on my '13 Limited w/ MFT, Nav and push-button start.

<crossing fingers>

This appears to be the site to set up the app:

https://my.fordremoteaccess.com/home

Edited by icee
  • Like 1

Still waiting for a response from my dealer after sending a second email request for info. Not too stellar as far as getting back to their customers...

My dealer's website (the one where you can select your dealer from the main Ford site) indicates $385.71 installed for the interface.

But it also says: "Optional security feature provides shock/impact detector, perimeter alarm and theft alerts via text or e-mail" and "Requires Vehicle Security Kit 19A361 at an additional cost". Would be nice to know what this is, what it does and what it costs.

Just a bit annoyed at this point. Completely expecting to be told that they have never installed one or that it won't work with my system...

• Like 1

Stopped into my dealer today. They haven't done one of these yet and need to get more information from higher up the food chain. Great. So my car could be what they experiment on to get it *just right*

Also, parts are at least two weeks out from the supplier. In service-speak, I think that translates to mid-December or so.

This could turn into more of a pain than it's worth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have had this for well over a year on my 2013 Ford Edge Sport with MFT and push button start. This is not new technology and it is not something Ford designed.

You need a Db-all interface from Direct electronics

http://www.xpresskit.com/VehicleCompatibility.aspx?p=null&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Edge%20%28Smart%20Key%29&ps=1&s=0&c=0

and a Directed Electronics Smart Start module and it is pretty well plug and play. They even allow GPS tracking and Geofencing with my unit.

http://www.directed.com/smartstart/

You of course must pay for this service because it works off a cell phone signal which runs about $100 dollars a year. The new units also allow bluetooth connectivity off your smartphone if you are within range.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, kirbyts.

I started going that route last year, but had very little luck in finding a local installer (one that was recommended, anyway) that seemed interested in getting involved. Probably because off all of the extras the Limited has. When I found the Ford-endorsed version, thought it made sense since I could go back to my dealer if I had any issues.

My dealer finally got back to me and said I needed to call the supplier to sign up for the annual service and then the parts would be shipped. He gave me a number to call. So, I call the number and after a decent conversation, am told that the dealer has it wrong and that they need to get the parts ordered first, then I sign up for the service afterwards. Kind of what I thought in the first place.

Nice that Ford is rolling this out without their dealers having a clue as to what they need to do to get the units installed. Even worse that the supply chain is giving out incorrect information and that, in my case, the end user is being asked to do the running around.

Very frustrating.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ford Remote Access kit installed - finally!

The steps involved:

- go to the dealer and fill out the 'form' (name, email address, VIN, phone carrier, etc.).

- schedule for the Ford authorized installer to go to the dealer with the parts to install them

- after the hardware is installed, have the Ford service tech do the programming portion to 'turn on' the module. (Just a note: service tech (I know him) wasn't thrilled that a bulk of the cost was assigned for the install guy which left very little for the programming side. In this case, my service adviser took care of the tech).

- log in to the website / download app / enter information (email, SIM info and PIN)

- test

- at home, log in to the main web site / get redirected to the service provider's site to pay the $50 annual fee.

I have the app loaded on two iPhones (work / personal), iPad and also have access through the web interface. All tested okay. The only time I couldn't connect was when the car was in the dealer's service bays. I imagine if I had tried more than once it would have probably connected.

There's supposed to be a shock sensor / alarm interface that will send an email / text if the car alarm has been triggered. Hopefully, this has been set up (it's a jumper in the main module). Haven't tested it yet.

App is pretty basic - start / stop, lock / unlock and find (beeps horn). While a bit pricey for what it does, it will be nice to know that the car has actually started when the weather isn't great. Knowing that I can go back to my dealer (re: vehicle extended warranty) if there are any issues is a big bonus.

Overall installed price: about $600

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cell based.

I imagine if you get a cell signal in your garage, it would work. That being said, I'm not quite sure which provider is being used, although I was asked which carrier I had for my phone when I filled out the pre-install form. My phone is Verizon.

I would be a little concerned about the vehicle left running in a garage...

• 1 month later...

Does this integrate with the exisitng system?

I have a ford edge 2013 that has the ford remote start via the keyfob. I want to be sure this will work with that and i can still use the existing keyfob and when started via the app it will use the built in settings (runtime/Heated seats off or auto and that stuff).

Just want to be sure.