Replacement Headlight Lamps - 2013 Edge Sport

I'm looking for a plug-and-play headlight bulb replacement/upgrade to the stock HIR2 bulbs on my 2013 Edge Sport. What I'd REALLY like to do is a full HID upgrade to the 9006 Morimoto Elite HID System (Morimoto 3Five 35w ballasts) from TRS, but I've heard of issues with the HIDs flickering with the DRLs on. So I've resorted to the 'next best thing', which would simply be a HIR2 bulb upgrade.

My question is, am I limited to the 9012 (HIR2) bulb, or can I replace my OEM bulb with the 9006? I've heard good reviews about the PIAA 9006 and was looking to pull the trigger on one of the following:

http://www.piaa.com/store/c/21-Automotive-Bulbs.aspx?Attribs=49

Thanks!

Your vehicle doesn't have DRLs unless you bought it in Canada or you've had the dealer turn them on (i.e. they don't come standard equipment on US Edge models). So an HID conversion won't be affected.

BTW, no 9006 bulb is an upgrade to 9012 no matter what PIAA tries to tell you. The standard 9006 produces about 1,000 lumens from 55 watts. Over-driving the filament (like PIAA does) pushes that output to almost 1,100 lumens at a cost of greatly reduced bulb life. A standard 9012 bulb produces almost 1,900 lumens from the same 55 watts of power (about 70% more light output). Don't believe any company that tells you they produce "115 watts of light for 51 watts of power (51=100 watt)" for two reasons... first, a watt is a unit of electrical or thermal power not of light output, and second it's physically impossible to produce more watts output than input - unless you believe in cold fusion.

Edited by TheWizard

Your vehicle doesn't have DRLs unless you bought it in Canada or you've had the dealer turn them on (i.e. they don't come standard equipment on US Edge models). So an HID conversion won't be affected.

BTW, no 9006 bulb is an upgrade to 9012 no matter what PIAA tries to tell you. The standard 9006 produces about 1,000 lumens from 55 watts. Over-driving the filament (like PIAA does) pushes that output to almost 1,100 lumens at a cost of greatly reduced bulb life. A standard 9012 bulb produces almost 1,900 lumens from the same 55 watts of power (about 70% more light output). Don't believe any company that tells you they produce "115 watts of light for 51 watts of power (51=100 watt)" for two reasons... first, a watt is a unit of electrical or thermal power not of light output, and second it's physically impossible to produce more watts output than input - unless you believe in cold fusion.

Cold fusion? Of course I believe in it! Next thing, you'll be trying to tell me that Iron Man isn't real?

But really, thanks for the info. Guess I won't be going with the PIAAs.......