Replacing MyFord Touch with 3rd party console, is it possible?

I have been looking to get some kind of crossover vehicle and having rented a Ford Edge and liking it very much I was thinking of buying one.

Based on what I read for example on the 2011 redesign I was going to look at 2011-2012 pre-owned.

Then I read about all the problems with MyFord Touch. I am a techie by trade but in the car I don't bother with any of that stuff.

I only want or need an AM/FM radio with a CD player and minijack.

At first I thought well I can just rip that thing out and put something else in it's place but then I read that the console is tied into other functions like climate.

I really like this car and want to get one but on the other hand I just can't be bothered with this thing and all of its problems and not knowing what you get when you buy a car until you've had time to work with it.

But I thought I would ask just in case it's possible. Has anyone had any experience with or know anyone who has of ripping the thing out and replacing it with something else? Is it even possible?!

Thanks a lot for your help!

I only want or need an AM/FM radio with a CD player and minijack.

If that's all you're going to use, then you're not likely to have any problems. MFT only has trouble when you start loading it down with bluetooth connections and lots of navigation use. The latest software updates have greatly reduced or eliminated the problems you've likely read about.

Or you could always get an SE that doesn't have MFT at all.

But as for replacement, it's not simple. MFT isn't just one module, it's a bunch of them and they all network together with many other features.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the idea of looking into getting just an SE. Since there wasn't much available in my area, I found a new one, a 2013, at a dealer marked down by $5k because it was a base model and they couldn't sell it, end of year and all that. I went to look at it and the one option they put in it was the sync system. So it had sync but no touchscreen. The salesman told me all the problems were in the higher end models with the touchscreen but that the lower models works great and he has one. It didnt work out with that one so I went and looked at a preowned 2013 SEL which had the same setup as the SE. I ended up getting that one.

On another note, a friend of mine was given a new 2014 Ford Mustang at an airport which had the sync system (no touchscreen). He hooked it up and tested it and said it worked perfectly, he was very happy with it!