Good Front/Rear Door Speakers?

I have a 2011 Ford Edge SE without Sony system, without navigation and factory radio. I am wanting to change out the factory door speakers front and rear to something better. I want better lows (bass), mids and highs. I am just not impressed with the factory sound system.

What can everyone recommend for a good all around speaker? Something I can just swap out the speakers with without having to modify anything.

Thank you for your time!!

If you are looking for simple drop-in improvement; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G6H558/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought these (for my former '07; not sure if these will fit an '11, but I'm guessign they probably do).

I did fronts and rears, but probably could have gotten by with just the fronts; I already had the factory sub as well.

I do not have a factory sub, but have an aftermarket one sitting at the house that has been in every other car I've owned, and kind of want the low's coming from the front/rear door speakers. Not really wanting to add a sub at the moment. I was looking at Pioneer and Polk speakers as I have had great results with them in the past. But that was 5-6 years ago lol. I am sure the technology has changed.

I went with the Kicker KS 6x8 Front and Rear paired up with a Kicker DX 400W 4 Channel Amp. If you're looking for subs also, I went with 2 X 12" SoloBaric L7's in a custom ported Kicker Box paired with a Kicker ZXS 1500W Monoblock Amp! For head unit I used the Pioneer Avic Z150BH. Couldn't be happier but beware, shit is so loud it will damn near break glass..

As for just the mids/highs, they sounded very nice before adding the amp to them. Only reason I added the amp was becuase of the Subs being installed. If i hadn't, I wouldn't of been able to hear them as well as I needed too. All in all, very impressed with them.

Kicker 400W: http://www.kicker.com/DX_Amplifiers

Kicker 1500W Mono: http://www.kicker.com/ZX_Amplifiers

Mids/Highs: [Coax/3Way KS68]: http://www.kicker.com/KS_Series

Subwoofer: DS12L7 http://www.kicker.com/L7_Loaded_Enclosures

I will have to look into the Kicker speakers as I have never owned anything Kicker. I have the old school Rockford Fosgate subwoofer. I have had it for ten years and it is still going strong. I may add it one day but for now I just want some better full range speakers for the doors. Do the Kickers offer good lows without the amp?

Yes, the kickers offer a very good low/mid range sound. I was very pleased with them. The KS series is there nicest mid range set, before getting into uber expensive speakers that are like 300$ a pair. I picked mine up off of Amazon from a certified Kicker rep and spent 70$/pair for them and couldn't be happier. I'd say they are right in line with the Infinity Kappa series Mids/Highs which I have always had very good compliments on.

These Kickers are very crisp/clear. I have run Kicker subs for years and they pound and are huge in the mid range class to entry level competition. I wanted this set up to be 100% kicker front to back so that way it was all the same company.

Edited by Eatinitup

What he said ^ check out this thread and there are several others as well. These infinity kappas are drop in replacements and have very good response (compared to factory) Unless you need your skin to tingle from the boom boom pow ... these will be fine.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13009-2011-sel-which-infinity-speakers-choosing-a-speaker-selection/

I have looked at those a number of times but a lot of what I have read is saying you should really run an amp to get the full potential of the Kappa's.

I'm on Crutchfield and it is showing three different sizes. what is the biggest size speaker for both front and rear doors I can fit without modification?

I also notice that it shows the some speakers, the same pair, will only fit front or rear doors but not both. and some pairs will for both but they are all 6x8. are the doors different depths or something.

The more I think about it I would like to add my subwoofer to the Edge. If I have the SE model how would I go about getting the subwoofer amp added? If there a harness for plug and play or something like that?

Edited by mrtwohands

My Kicker Mids/Highs were 6x8's. No specific model between the fronts and rears. I Just ordered two sets of 6x8 with the plug n play adapter so I didn't have to splice or cut wires and they dropped right in. As for the Subwoofer, I have no idea. I ran all my own wiring when I did my install. It was very easy, just time consuming becuase Power wire ran down one side of the vehicle and remote, speaker wire, rca's ran down the other side.

Good stuff I'll I'd rather just run 6x8's and have the plug and play adapter for easy use. not point in slpicing if you dont have too lol.

I have always run my own wires and done all my own installs but I am not sure what the RCA's would plug into. if running the factory head unit. Remote wire can be anything that turns on with the car. Power and ground wire are self explanatory lol.

My Kicker Mids/Highs were 6x8's. No specific model between the fronts and rears. I Just ordered two sets of 6x8 with the plug n play adapter so I didn't have to splice or cut wires and they dropped right in. As for the Subwoofer, I have no idea. I ran all my own wiring when I did my install. It was very easy, just time consuming becuase Power wire ran down one side of the vehicle and remote, speaker wire, rca's ran down the other side.

Do you run them down along the floorboards for the Edge? I've never run amp wires but am considering it, since Best buy wants $100+ an amp to install I believe. How hard was it to get the little liner thing in and out and how was the fit with a decent gauge power cable?

You can easily pull the trim panels back along the carpet line to tuck the wires inside. Pull the door trim scuff panels off to make it a little easier. I had BB install a simple CD player in an old S10 I had. Long story short they WILL never install anything for me again. I perfer to do my own if possible.

Ah cool, thanks. I was having trouble finding Edge-specific info on running those cables. Where do you bring them in from the engine compartment?

I poked a hole in the rubber boot that went around my steering column. Once the power wire was through it, "0 Guage", I took some puddy/epoxy and mixed a batch up and pasted it around the hole to seal it up.

I ran the power down the driver side of the car by taking the kick panels and stuff off.. Took a few minutes to remove everything because those clips going into the vehicle floorboard, can be a real pain in the ass to get loose. Once everything was prepped, I just peeled the carpet up a bit and tucked the power cable under it and fastened everything back up.. I did a rinse and repeat for the passenger side while running speaker cable and rca's/remote wire.