Couple of strange issues with heating system on Mkx

I have a couple of annoying issues with the heating system on my 2011 Mkx. Hoping someone with Mkx or Edge can confirm if this is normal behaviour.

1) When HVAC system is set to auto, the air only blows from the lower vents and never from the top so my feet end up being way too hot and upper body is cold. Not sure if this is by design or malfunction

2) Outside air temp displayed is off by 10-15 degrees Celsius after engine starts. Temps outside will be around -5 degrees Celsius but display will show around +8 to 10 degrees Celsius after engine start. It will drop a degree or so every minute and after about 5 minutes of driving will drop to actual outside air temp. This causes remote start to not engage the heater or the heated seat, steering wheel automatically. Not sure if this requires firmware update to fix this or if senor is faulty.

Would appreciate if someone can let me know if this is normal or not since this is my first winter with the vehicle and the two behaviour above seems odd to me.

I have a couple of annoying issues with the heating system on my 2011 Mkx. Hoping someone with Mkx or Edge can confirm if this is normal behaviour.

1) When HVAC system is set to auto, the air only blows from the lower vents and never from the top so my feet end up being way too hot and upper body is cold. Not sure if this is by design or malfunction

2) Outside air temp displayed is off by 10-15 degrees Celsius after engine starts. Temps outside will be around -5 degrees Celsius but display will show around +8 to 10 degrees Celsius after engine start. It will drop a degree or so every minute and after about 5 minutes of driving will drop to actual outside air temp. This causes remote start to not engage the heater or the heated seat, steering wheel automatically. Not sure if this requires firmware update to fix this or if senor is faulty.

Would appreciate if someone can let me know if this is normal or not since this is my first winter with the vehicle and the two behaviour above seems odd to me.

On my 2008 Edge, the outside temp matches pretty close to what it actually is. I park it in the garage, so it is usually reading around 40 degrees, with the outside temp being around 25 degrees, due to it being warmer in the garage. Once I back out of the garage, the outside temp display adjusts down to the correct temp inside of 5 minutes or so. By that time, the engine has started warming up enough to start blowing hot air, and it usually kicks on with a high fan and blows out of the floor vents and defroster vents.

It sounds like you may have an issue with your sensor not reading correctly.

1) Hot air rises so this might be normal.

Is it possible to 'reboot' just the climate system with a certain fuse pull?

1) Hot air rises so this might be normal.

Does your Mkx exhibit same behaviour. If so, this might be a silly design since while hot air rises, it is not sufficient to to warm the top half of the veichle with all the heat loss through the glass and so on if all the heat comes only from the bottom vents. Top vents should be atleast 25% to 50 % open for optimal heat distribution.

You're complaint that on auto with it set to hot, the air flow only comes out at the feet? It's supposed to! On Auto, it is resorting to heat mode, which comes out at the feet. Go into the climate system and select floor and console if you want it to come out that way; don't use auto. Sorry if I didn't understand what you're saying.

You're complaint that on auto with it set to hot, the air flow only comes out at the feet? It's supposed to! On Auto, it is resorting to heat mode, which comes out at the feet. Go into the climate system and select floor and console if you want it to come out that way; don't use auto. Sorry if I didn't understand what you're saying.

Thanks for the info, just wanted to make sure this wasnt a glitch since I expected auto to keep even temp in the entire veichle and not just have bottom half really warm and top part cold.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else have issue with outside ait temp displayed on screen being higher by 10-12 degrees celssius than actual outside temp when veichle is first started or after being parked for serveral hours? After 10-15 min of driving, the displayed temp steadily falls and matches acutal outside temp. Reported the issue to my dealership and they applied serveral TSBs related to this but did not resolve the issue. I am wondering if I have a faulty outside air temp sensor or if this is by design where it takes serveral minutes to catch up to actual outside air temp.

When the vehicle is started the outside temp sensor is not accurate since it may have been sitting in the sun, etc. So it stays on the previous temp until you start driving. After you've driven for a few minutes the sensor will register the correct ambient air temp. It's normal. There is no correct way to do it - if they used the sensor reading immediately it would be inaccurate. I remember my 06 Fusion would show 120 degrees in the summer when it was sitting in the sun.

Does it seem to retain the temp value from when the vehicle was shut off? That's what mine would do.

Nope, mines does not seem to do that. For example when out this morning to the mall and it was around -15 degrees celsius. When I parked the car at the mall, correct outsitde temp was showing. After about 1.5 hours wehen leaving the mall, started the car and it showed outisde temps as + 7 degrees celcius. Temp reading then steadily droped a degree or so every 30-60 sec for the next 10 min until it dropped back to the actual outside temp of - 15 degrees celcius. This does not seem normal since it cause the HVAC system not to operate correctly when set to auto modes with remore start since car thinks its warmer then it really is and does not engage the HVAC.

The outside temp just augments the internal temp sensors for HVAC. It shouldn't cause the heat not to come on if it's cold inside the vehicle.

Based on your example I think it's actually showing the current temp initially, which I assume is higher than ambient due to the sun?

Don't think that is the case since no way was the interior of the car aboive freezing and it does indeed cause hvac to not kick in on auto.