Synthetic Oil

07 MKX

I'm retired and don't have acess to the test data, but we used to test and qualify oils. When we couldn't get a pass we asked for the oil suppliers test results and they admitted they had to test multiple times to get a pass.

I did not say that a full synthetic was not as good as Motorcraft's synthetic blend - where did that comment come from?

Look, you are wearing me out, do whatever you want to do.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm retired and don't have acess to the test data, but we used to test and qualify oils. When we couldn't get a pass we asked for the oil suppliers test results and they admitted they had to test multiple times to get a pass.

I did not say that a full synthetic was not as good as Motorcraft's synthetic blend - where did that comment come from?

Look, you are wearing me out, do whatever you want to do.

Just trying to learn... Did not mean to wear you out also I found out some good info [at least I think its good :reading: ]

It seems that the Motorcraft blend is actually on Par with the high priced oils [M1, M1 extended, Valv Syn Power, PP]

Thanks for explaining this... I do not want to be one of those consumers who falls blindly to the hype :finger:

MotorOil Data Sheet.pdf

I have now moved my oil over to Castrol Syntec 5w20 and drain intervals of around 8,000 kms or less. I'm lucky that a frind owns an Independant Porsche shop here in Toronto and I use his facilities as well as his "price" for the oil.

Reason I moved over to Castrol Syntecis the number on engine failures I have seen with the Porsches IMS seals etc., due to Mobil 1 oil usage. I have a 2002 Boxster S which I bought with a blown engine (PO had OVERFILLED crancase with 4 extra liters). and had it rebuilt. Several engine rebuilders who I have talked to all recommended Castrol Syntec as thier oil of choice to keep the engine in top shape. Porsche has some slight design flawes in it that does not show up till later in the NA market. Euro oils are better than what we have here ... as well as a higher price ... and NA Mobil 1 just meets their requirements. I have run the same oil in previous vehicles from Volvo's to Land Rovers with no motor issues. Milege was always better and cold starts easier (most engine wear happens then).

This is what I have found out from multiple sources and is what I, and I stress I, am following. YOU may decide to go a different course due to YOUR information.

A good example I found was the Boxster needed the ATF replaced (service I wanted as motor rebuilt so tranny must be serviced) and the shop looked at Porsche ATF. Porsche wanted $35 a litre and I needed close to 8 litres. We researched the spec and ended up calling a Euro supplier who recommended a ATF from Germany that Porsche recommended in Europe. The cost turned out to be $7.50 a litre and exceeded Porsche fluids spec (Titan ATF 3353.). I saved and had the same if not better protecting than what the Factory fill provided. Do research from multiple sources and come to some form of an educated solution ... BTW ... oil formulas differ around the world and different parts of the country depending on what the manufacturer had in their stock/order for oils.

The abouve is MY OPINION ... you may or may not wish to follow. All I am doing is putting info out on what I am doing/following!!!

<no hydrocarbons were harmed in writing this post> :shift:

The "OIL WARS" are a very hot topic in every forum for every motor vehicle. They will never be won by any one particular oil or filter. I spent 35 years in the technical part of the automotive business and another 13 years dealing with small 2 & 4 Stroke engines. The only engine failures I have seen have been triggered by lack of oil, not brand.

As long as you are using a lubricant that meets or exceeds OEM specs, there should be no problems. The same goes for filters. :banghead:

Edited by flyerjmr33

I have an Aunt who had a Ford and her car was serviced by the Ford dealers. Then, 125 miles after the power train warranty expired he engine gave out.

This statement is dubious at best. A perfectly running car that showed no signs of engine failure does just "give out" coincidentally 125 miles after the power train warranty expires. There must have been some sign of failure, extreme smoke, lifter/cam tapping, rod knock, something to show this engine was going to fail requiring a rebuild or replacement. total mechanical failure is a serious matter that is 99.9% of the time predicated by signs in excess of 100 miles to failure.

I am curious to know exactly what caused the tragic engine failure? An engine that cannot be salvaged by head replacement, cam replacement, or a similar core replacement is a seriously sick engine. Even a cracked head shows signs, and that doesn't require engine replacement.

Edited by petedacook

This statement is dubious at best. A perfectly running car that showed no signs of engine failure does just "give out" coincidentally 125 miles after the power train warranty expires. There must have been some sign of failure, extreme smoke, lifter/cam tapping, rod knock, something to show this engine was going to fail requiring a rebuild or replacement. total mechanical failure is a serious matter that is 99.9% of the time predicated by signs in excess of 100 miles to failure.

I am curious to know exactly what caused the tragic engine failure? An engine that cannot be salvaged by head replacement, cam replacement, or a similar core replacement is a seriously sick engine. Even a cracked head shows signs, and that doesn't require engine replacement.

I never looked at it till it quit. So I cannot elaborate on exactly what happened. What I do know is that she is a person who doesn't miss scheduled maintenance. Most of the times she will get her car serviced a bit before what is required. I agree with you that there were probably some signs, yet the Ford dealership did nothing in advance. Hence, this is why I work on my own cars. They are lousy, unprofessional, lack mechanical knowledge, etc.. [Note: I know there are great mechanics who may work for Ford. I just haven't ran across any. ] That is why after her experience she vowed to "Never buy a Ford again." We believe that they knew the engine had issues and never fixed it. If the dealer fixed prior issues before hand, the car would have probably lasted much longer. I am not sure what Ford's policy is, but the people at our service department only do the bare minimum.

See what you are failing to see is that I never stated that it was "a perfectly running car that showed no signs of engine failure." Nevertheless, you can take my aunt's experience for what its worth. If you feel its "dubious at best" then move on. Maybe we just had bad luck or maybe Ford houses crooked employees. I am sure I am not the first person who has expressed concern about the quality of the service which is performed at the dealership. Also note that I am not trying to deter anyone from buying a Ford at all. Even though, my aunt had a bad experience, I still bought the Edge, because I will be the one who services it.

Hope this helps :shades:

I am fully aware of that. When I said "maybe Ford houses crooked employees" I'm referring to the dealership. As far as Ford having no say in how the dealer performs service... they should be interested and should have a say considering the dealer is representing Ford. Wouldn't you want to have a say in whomever is representing you :stop:

As far as Ford having no say in how the dealer performs service... they should be interested and should have a say considering the dealer is representing Ford. Wouldn't you want to have a say in whomever is representing you :stop:

Of course! And so does Ford. Unfortunately the auto dealers lobbied their state legislatures decades ago and most (if not all) passed state legislation that makes it ILLEGAL for Ford to interfere with how their dealerships operate. Ford is not allowed to sell vehicles directly to the public and they can't dictate how the dealers sell the vehicles (e.g. dealer markups on hot selling vehicles) nor can they dictate how the service department operates. Ford tried to get some control by withholding money on each vehicle and giving it back to dealers that were "blue oval certified" - meaning they have great customer service. What happened? The dealers sued Ford and won.

In other words, Ford has NO control whatsoever on what the dealer does (within legal limits of course) or doesn't do. Dealership employees are not Ford employees.

Yes, it sucks and yes, it's stupid but that's the law and I don't see the states repealing those laws anytime soon. Do a google on "state auto franchise laws" - you might be surprised.