Buying a used 2013 Edge Limited AWD

tzj8410

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I'm searching for a SUV recently, and just saw a deal from local dealer, thought it's a good one.

An used Edge Limited AWD, 2013 year model, white/light stone Ext/Int color, loaded 302A pkg, Tow pkg & 20" chrome clad wheels. 23K+ miles for 19 months, clean title and 1 owner personal use. Dealer asks for 28K.

Would it be a great deal? Please suggest.

BTW, dealership provides lifetime limited powertrain warranty with no charge, not a CPO though. Shall I buy an extra ESP from Ford? 17 months B2B warranty still remaining.

Do you have to do anything to keep the dealer's lifetime power-train warranty in effect such as have them do all the service on the vehicle? What if you move, is the warranty honored at other facility's, or just the selling dealer?

I myself believe the Ford ESP is well worth it if I am keeping the vehicle for 5 years or more. You can find some good deals on the Ford ESP by searching this board for various prices examples, plans, and what dealers to talk to. I purchased mine online from one of the dealers since my dealer didn't want to sell the Ford plan, only their own.

The Edge has a lot of advanced electronics which are covered by the ESP. One weak point on the AWD has been the PTU regarding leaks. Not an inexpensive repair if it is out of warranty and starts to leak.

That dealer warranty is probably so limited and narrow that it's worthless - unless they've jacked up the price to cover a real warranty.

Don't forget the factory powertrain warranty is good for 5 yrs/60K miles so a 7 yr 100K mile ESP is only providing 2 extra years of powertrain coverage (less if you drive more than 14K miles per year).

Electronics and PTUs tend to fail during the factory warranty period.

If you really want the ESP get the Ford ESP. Or just put that money in the bank and if you don't have to spend it on the edge you can use it for another vehicle or anything else you want.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me but I would suggest buying your ESP from http://www.FloodfordESP.com Thats where I bought mine. I think you'll find that it is half the price of a Ford dealer. Your warranty ESP starts at the "inservice date" or the date it was originally purchased. Just dont buy more than you need. I would buy the premium plan. Figure how many miles you drive per year and do the math so that your milage and timeframe of the warranty end at the same time. You wouldnt want to buy 7 years 100k, if you only drive 7000miles per year. In that case you would want 7 years 60k(equals 5 1/2 more years and 37,000 more miles). If you drive 15k per year you would want 7years/100k ESP.(5.5 more years and 77k more miles).

PS I bought my car from their dealership in E.Greenwich RI. The ESP was more than half price buying it on their website vs the dealership.

Edited by CinnamonEdge

Do you have to do anything to keep the dealer's lifetime power-train warranty in effect such as have them do all the service on the vehicle? What if you move, is the warranty honored at other facility's, or just the selling dealer?

I myself believe the Ford ESP is well worth it if I am keeping the vehicle for 5 years or more. You can find some good deals on the Ford ESP by searching this board for various prices examples, plans, and what dealers to talk to. I purchased mine online from one of the dealers since my dealer didn't want to sell the Ford plan, only their own.

The Edge has a lot of advanced electronics which are covered by the ESP. One weak point on the AWD has been the PTU regarding leaks. Not an inexpensive repair if it is out of warranty and starts to leak.

No restriction as long as you sign the lifetime power train warranty contract. I was told I can take this contract to any ford dealership to fulfill, looks like a third party warranty doing like an insurance company, which sounds good to me. Still the car is in manufacturer warranty so I have time to think about ESP.

Correction - the warranty is provided by dealership.

Edited by tzj8410

That dealer warranty is probably so limited and narrow that it's worthless - unless they've jacked up the price to cover a real warranty.

Don't forget the factory powertrain warranty is good for 5 yrs/60K miles so a 7 yr 100K mile ESP is only providing 2 extra years of powertrain coverage (less if you drive more than 14K miles per year).

Electronics and PTUs tend to fail during the factory warranty period.

If you really want the ESP get the Ford ESP. Or just put that money in the bank and if you don't have to spend it on the edge you can use it for another vehicle or anything else you want.

yep, it's limited. I'll think about your suggestion, thanks.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me but I would suggest buying your ESP from http://www.FloodfordESP.com Thats where I bought mine. I think you'll find that it is half the price of a Ford dealer. Your warranty ESP starts at the "inservice date" or the date it was originally purchased. Just dont buy more than you need. I would buy the premium plan. Figure how many miles you drive per year and do the math so that your milage and timeframe of the warranty end at the same time. You wouldnt want to buy 7 years 100k, if you only drive 7000miles per year. In that case you would want 7 years 60k(equals 5 1/2 more years and 37,000 more miles). If you drive 15k per year you would want 7years/100k ESP.(5.5 more years and 77k more miles).

Thanks, its a good point, I probably drive less than 10k per year, may consider 7 year but less miles option.

Edited by tzj8410