Rough Edges on Doors around Latch

omar302

The other day I noticed that all four doors had rough edges on the top & bottom of the door latch. They look like they were hit by a sharp thing. Never noticed them before & they are on all 4 doors. The top one is bigger than the one below. There is nothing on the other side were the door closes to explain it. Anyone has something similar?

post-24673-0-85974100-1392014779_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-25578600-1392014760_thumb.jpg

Looking at it now, could these be welding spots? They sure to look like a possible future rust area.

Edited by omar302

Looking at the photo, I also expected there must be a clearance issue.

So, I took a look at my 2012 MKX and I found its doors have similar marks.

In the operation of the door, there is nothing in the vicinity of those sheet metal surfaces that can be marking them.

Since the paint at the mark on the metal edge is slightly disturbed, I am guessing the marks are the result of the assembly process.

The doors are painted before the latch mechanism is installed, so the marks are probably from a locator pin used during the assembly of the door.

At the edge of the marks, there was a very small metal burr that flaked off when I ran my finger over it.

It probably does create a very slight risk of rust that could be eliminated by applying touch-up paint on that very small, potentially-bare metal edge.

Ford would do well if they gave Omar an Inspector job in their assembly plant.

To orient Omar for his new job, and for everyone else who has not seen the inside of an assembly plant, here is video taken inside Ford's Oakville Assembly Plant where Edge, MKX, Flex, and MKT vehicles are built...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/hqzVo6_5ZHQ

Good luck!

• Like 2

Thanks Haz for the video, didn't know that the Flex & MKT were built along side the Edge/MKX, anyway, I think I would be good at the inspector job, at the 0:57 mark in the video, you can see a Flex leaving but its rear wiper is stopped at a pretty high angle, no way that's normal. Makes you wonder, if such an obvious thing goes unnoticed in such a video, who knows how many other hidden things are wrong not caught by QA/QC.

Seriously, Quality Control at Ford needs a refresh.

Edit, screenshot attached.

post-24673-0-47675400-1392113474_thumb.png

Edited by omar302