Ecoboost Suspension

erikgrad

I have noticed the ride in my 2013 Ecoboost Edge is very, very firm. I started to look at the front suspension components to see if there were any differences between the Ecoboost and the other models...turns out the struts and springs are different part numbers. The springs are firmer, not sure if the struts are different (they have a different prefix number, BT4Z vs CT4Z). All accompanying hardware in the suspension (around the struts at least) is the same, though. My thought is that they did this to get the best MPG possible?

Does anyone happen to have knowledge of the struts on these? I am wondering if I can swap the springs out with the 3.5L/3.7L model, leave the same struts.

Suspension stiffness feel is different from one person to another, what was your previous ride? Newer cars are generally stiffer than old cars due to design & age.

Also, what wheel size you got? Bigger wheels will have a stiffer ride. And make sure the air pressure in them is not too high.

Suspension stiffness feel is different from one person to another, what was your previous ride? Newer cars are generally stiffer than old cars due to design & age.

Also, what wheel size you got? Bigger wheels will have a stiffer ride. And make sure the air pressure in them is not too high.

I have the 18" wheels. I have considered looking at whether I could get smaller wheels, taller tires once my current set is ready for replacement, I know that should help. Current tires aren't over-inflated. I actually like the feel, but my wife, not so much... it is a tighter, sportier suspension than our old Focus (and overall, of course, it rides much better). Because of the difference in part numbers between the Ecoboost and the other models, I assumed something must be different. The weight of the engine, as akirby mentioned probably plays the biggest role. I may take a new 3.5L Edge out for a test drive to see if there is really any appreciable difference...maybe I should just get my wife a seat cushion :)

How long have you had the Edge? I don't believe this is the case here but ... A rare issue that you can run into is the non-removal of "pucks" inserted into the suspension during the transportation process to keep the suspension from bouncing. The dealership is supposed to remove them before the customer takes delivery.

A likelier possibility is that the previous owner installed sport springs (H&R's for example), and did not return to stock. Can you post pics of your Edge? That would help us affirm/eliminate that possibility.

My car is stock height, and an off-lease vehicle. Because the weather has been awful (Michigan) in the month and a half we have owned it...I haven't actually looked at the suspension. It is supposed to warm up later this week, hopefully I could take some pictures then, just to make sure nothing is out of place. Where do they put the suspension pucks? In between the springs?

Thanks everyone for the feedback.