Opinions Needed

I am wanting to put 22's on the new edge..I had my mind totally set on the TSW montage in hyper black because its a simple clean wheel and by the picture..it looks like it would be really really close to matching the color of the Edge.. But after pricing them out..they are 400 bucks per wheel then about 250 bucks per tire.. so thats about 2600 bucks before tax and mount and balance..sooo I am weighing other options..I really like the black wheels mainly like them on a black vehicle..I am looking at the Fusion Flex in black..its a nice wheel..not quite as simple as the TSW..but I can get the wheels at wholesale price (friend of a friend) and get a real good deal on tires..probably get tires wheels lugs mounted and balanced for less the 2k. I am just not wanting to do chrome at all..dunno why..but im just not wanting that.

So after you look at the pictures tell what you think..spend the almost 3k on the TSW's or get the Fusion flex in black for a good deal.

TSW Montage' in hyper black

680MediumSmall.jpg

Fusion Flex in Black

flex_04-1.gif

here they are on a KINDA similar vehicle the CX-7 but the vehicle is black..obviously unlike mine..but I think they look good

JNYSDUBS005.jpg

JNYSDUBS006.jpg

and here is a side shot of my edge

DSC05194.jpg

if anyone is REALLY good at photoshop..and could maybe..possibly..if its not too much trouble..put them on my vehicle that would be awesome.

Thanks and I am looking forward to the responses.

I just absolutely love when the wheels match the paint.

Example, mine. 20":

post-1289-1193355922_thumb.jpg

(Not really that great a picture. Super sun-shiny that day)

I wouldn't begin to tell you what to do with your money, but as for my opinion on the choice between the two sets you're showing...

Those TSW wheels look like they'd look very, VERY nice on your Edge :)

Personally, I'd save a while if necessary and get them for sure.

I don't like the Fusion set. My opinion of course.

Whatever you go with, please post up the results for us.

Look Abrannan, when you first posted pictures of your Edge. I thought your original wheels would look good if they were just painted black. Since your about to spend a lot of money on new tires and wheels, why not first just paint the wheels you have and see how that looks. Guaranteed you'd be the only one with wheels like that.

/edit: PS. Try not to use a roller or brush, spring for at least 1 spray can per wheel, or if you have the big bucks, maybe see if someone can spray paint them a Black Opal for you.

Edited by 07 MKX

yea..I know tirerack does that..BUT they only show you wheels that they sell..and its not realistic..ya a photoshop is more believable so to speak.

07..that sounds like a good idea..but I just don't really care for the stockers..they are OK..but honestly I like more wheel less tire.

so if you are liking the idea of black wheels ..does that mean you like the 22" black wheels I posted..or just black wheels on my edge in general..or if they are not stockers painted black..don't do black?

I love the TSW wheels..but damn..I like to have a lil' cash in hand after..and they will clean my clock..

Funny to see how times change..married now..out on my own..

When I was single living at home..I spent 3500 on my first set of 22's and then 5500 bucks on 24's for my suburban..now I don't even want to spend 2600 bucks..is this being wise and frugal or is it being a tight wad? LOL

I thought I was gonna like the new 20's from the factory..but after seeing them I am not too fond of them..I am at a loss..wish I could just find a really good deal on the TSW's..

Edited by Abrannan19

Wheels will get the dirty-est. The stock have some meat to them. If you can envision what Black Pearl/Opal would look like, Yours have the meat there, that people would actually see that they had a custom job done on them, and wonder where did he get those? Then the whole bottom would be all black. I do like the new 20's from the factory. Even one's off a F-series. Lot of money for new tires and wheels. Realistically, in 6 years you probably won't have the Edge anymore, and the new wheels will only return you $1 when you turn it in. Cars = BAD BAD investment. Save the money for your kids, they don't care what kinda wheels you have.

When you change Tire and wheel sizes do you consider the Odometer Changes? How about the rolling inertia created by a larger wheel? Are the Brakes able to handle the additional weight of a larger Wheel?

The Ford Engineers take into consideration all these items when they design the Tire Wheel Brake Package. I have always been weary of changing this

I am NOT fond of the 18" Chrome Clad Wheels on my SEL+ I would like to put some other wheels on but I am uncertain of the repercussions.

Should I stay with an 18 with the same offset? What do you all suggest in a 20 or a 22 maybe?

SRE

When you change Tire and wheel sizes do you consider the Odometer Changes? How about the rolling inertia created by a larger wheel? Are the Brakes able to handle the additional weight of a larger Wheel?

The Ford Engineers take into consideration all these items when they design the Tire Wheel Brake Package. I have always been weary of changing this

I am NOT fond of the 18" Chrome Clad Wheels on my SEL+ I would like to put some other wheels on but I am uncertain of the repercussions.

Should I stay with an 18 with the same offset? What do you all suggest in a 20 or a 22 maybe?

SRE

if you go to the discount tire.com..you can do a side by side calculation..

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

the stock tire is a 245/60/18

t

he tire I am going with would be a

255/40/22

enter in those specs and see how close they are..probably the closest that you will find.

as for the weight..yes they are heavier..but the circumferenc is only 1.44" bigger..so it should not be that big of a problem..however if you add more rolling mass the brakes wont work 'as good' as they did stock. as for right now I dont think they make an upgrade kit yet.

my odo would only be off 1.01 mph at 65 mph..which is not bad at all..

07, I dont have kids yet..that is a ways away..I am gonna get wheels..just cant figure out which ones.

That TSW wheel is primo, especially with your color Edge. I can relate to the cash considerations, however. I really don't care for the black wheel unless it is on a black car, just my personal preference. I would put the cash in a Section 529 College savings account or a Roth IRA and keep the stock wheels. But, if you are set on new wheels, do it right and get the TSW. You will be glad you did EVERY time you walk up to your Edge, whether it is in the garage or elsewhere. If it puts a smile on your face every time you see it, then it is worth the cash, assuming that you can swing it financially. If you are having reservations, follow your gut and use the money more productively. You never know when you might need that extra cash for something really important down the line. The economy isn't that great right now and looking to get worse. Good luck and tell us what you decide!!!

You asked for all opinions, so here goes. I think it's nuts to spend that much money to change brand new wheels and tires. I understand the desire and in most cases I think they do look good, but anything over 20" starts to degrade braking, fuel economy and acceleration because the wheels are too heavy.

It might be different if the OEM wheels were ugly or tiny, but they're not. Then again, it's your money - or should I say it's you and your wife's money.

You asked for all opinions, so here goes. I think it's nuts to spend that much money to change brand new wheels and tires. I understand the desire and in most cases I think they do look good, but anything over 20" starts to degrade braking, fuel economy and acceleration because the wheels are too heavy.

It might be different if the OEM wheels were ugly or tiny, but they're not. Then again, it's your money - or should I say it's you and your wife's money.

actually the fuel economy on the highway should be better..considering it is 10.xx less revolutions per mile. and thats where most of the mileage is..I am not worried about the braking..my wife and I are very defensive drivers..so that wont be a big deal..I am going to weigh the stockers vs. 22's just too see exactly how much weight I will be adding..it probably wont be a whole heck of alot more.

I have an emergency fund..so i wouldn't be using my life savings or anything..I draw plans on the side and have a lil cash to play with..

so this post wasn't should I put wheels on it or not..just which ones.

After doing a little searching for a better price I am reminded of my efforts.

I was initially looking for 22" wheels but quickly found that my financial situation dictated I go with a 20" model.

I actually came out very happy indeed with my choice and with the look of my Edge with the Zinik 20" set I chose.

With 275/45R20 the difference is 0.58% (from my stock 245/60R18s)

Speedo difference is 0.586% too slow. Meaning My speedometer reads 59.6 MPH when I'm traveling 60MPH. That was very close and the minor difference to the good side for me odometer-wise.

Looking at this particular site with the TSW wheels at exactly $400 each (what you said in your original post), the 20" version of the same TSW wheels are $280 each.

That's a pretty big difference in $, times 4... not to mention the $ difference in tires.

Just a thought ;)

I really like the look of that TSW Montage!

After doing a little searching for a better price I am reminded of my efforts.

I was initially looking for 22" wheels but quickly found that my financial situation dictated I go with a 20" model.

I actually came out very happy indeed with my choice and with the look of my Edge with the Zinik 20" set I chose.

With 275/45R20 the difference is 0.58% (from my stock 245/60R18s)

Speedo difference is 0.586% too slow. Meaning My speedometer reads 59.6 MPH when I'm traveling 60MPH. That was very close and the minor difference to the good side for me odometer-wise.

Looking at this particular site with the TSW wheels at exactly $400 each (what you said in your original post), the 20" version of the same TSW wheels are $280 each.

That's a pretty big difference in $, times 4... not to mention the $ difference in tires.

Just a thought ;)

I really like the look of that TSW Montage!

yea..I know..the 22's just look sooo good..I mean dont get me wrong the 20'sw are good too..but I like big rims..LOL