2007 Ford Edge drinking a lot of coolant

Canderson2k14

Hello. My wife's vehicle is a 2007 ford edge. I can get more specs if requested. However this problem seems to be a very generic and serious problem possibly. My wife noticed the cars heat wasn't working and that the temp gauge was all the way up. Upon inspection when she came home I noticed the coolant area was completely empty. We then went to autozone and purchased a 50/50 any color coolant and added the entire bottle. This seemed to correct the issue temporarily. It has snowed and been significantly cold in Indiana this year. I used that to try and see if the vehicle was leaking and to my dismay it was not. We filled it up and patched the problem with coolant fill ups. I am getting to the point where I may need to consider head gasket or thermostat (hopefully). Has any one had an issue like this? I have no idea where the fluid is going as there are no visible leaks. We recently had an oil change too and no issues. I am scratching my head and would love any input. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about the problem with your Edge. How many miles on it? Ever had coolant flush done on it? Any abnormal exhaust smells/vapors? A thermostat swap is a good place to start too. Pressure test the system to make leaks more easily recognizable.

This can be a difficult problem to diagnose. If a head gasket leak is involved, then you should see the coolant getting oily/mucky in the overflow reservoir, and coolant mixed in the oil (dipstick). There have been a couple of reports of head gaskets needing replacement, but on relatively high mileage vehicles (> 100,000 miles). Could be engine oil or transmission fluid mixed in. Use a "U-View® Combustion Leak Tester part number 560000 or equivalent" to test for combustion gases in the coolant, if no oil is evident.

The radiator, water pump and heater core would be the next suspects. I am guessing no smell in the cabin (?), so that eliminates the heater core.

Are the radiator fans turning on when the temp gauge goes up? If not, could be the fans or the control module. http://www.justanswer.com/ford/6puvw-ford-edge-wife-s-2007-ford-edge-sel-needed.html

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Hello. My wife's vehicle is a 2007 ford edge. I can get more specs if requested. However this problem seems to be a very generic and serious problem possibly. My wife noticed the cars heat wasn't working and that the temp gauge was all the way up. Upon inspection when she came home I noticed the coolant area was completely empty. We then went to autozone and purchased a 50/50 any color coolant and added the entire bottle. This seemed to correct the issue temporarily. It has snowed and been significantly cold in Indiana this year. I used that to try and see if the vehicle was leaking and to my dismay it was not. We filled it up and patched the problem with coolant fill ups. I am getting to the point where I may need to consider head gasket or thermostat (hopefully). Has any one had an issue like this? I have no idea where the fluid is going as there are no visible leaks. We recently had an oil change too and no issues. I am scratching my head and would love any input. Thank you in advance.

Hello, Could possibly be a water pump, which is internal. There is a weep hole behind the alternator. Possible it is leaking and evaporating so it doesn't show on the ground?? May not leak when not running?? Just a thought..

BTW what area in NW In. do you live?? I'm between Laporte and South Bend ( Fish Lake )

Larry

Northern, In.

Edited by 1edge

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Sorry about my delay here. I have actually found the issue out. The edge I am talking about does have high mileage (163,000+). You both were correct with the limited amount of information I gave. I took the car to a couple of dealers and mechanics. Turns out it is the Water Pump, which is internal and is timing chain driven. I was told by the mechanics this was not the best thought out design. That is why the labor is so high on this. I just wanted to give a reply as to what it was so if others are searching for answers to this or a similar issue they can have a very good starting place to see what to check. I thank you both for the comments as it did give me a direction to head. Larry I live in northwest Indiana in Valparaiso.

• Like 1

Hello. Sorry about my delay here. I have actually found the issue out. The edge I am talking about does have high mileage (163,000+). You both were correct with the limited amount of information I gave. I took the car to a couple of dealers and mechanics. Turns out it is the Water Pump, which is internal and is timing chain driven. I was told by the mechanics this was not the best thought out design. That is why the labor is so high on this. I just wanted to give a reply as to what it was so if others are searching for answers to this or a similar issue they can have a very good starting place to see what to check. I thank you both for the comments as it did give me a direction to head. Larry I live in northwest Indiana in Valparaiso.

Do you figure on replacing the pump yourself? No doubt would safe lots of $$$$$$$$$$.

Canderson2k14,

I was raised north of Valpo. 1st road west of Meridian Rd. right behind Ski-Valley. Used to hang out with folks at what used to be Sunset Hill Farm just south of highway 6. Got most of my schooling at Liberty Center Township School.

Larry

Edited by 1edge