HID- Can housing handle 55w, do I need harness for 35w?

Yet another HID thread, I know right?

Cant find a direct answer in any of the threads I searched through, and ive been reading for almost an

hour.

I have a 2009 Edge.

1. Can these housings handle a 55w kit? I have a 50~ mile trip home from work everynight, dark highway and I need some more light. (I know with any vehicle, a wire harness is needed for a 55w kit)

2. If I go with a 35w kit, do I need a harness?

3. What do I need for fog light installs? (35w definitely, since its a small housing.) Ive read numerous bulb types and whatnot, so I am confused.

Again, this is for a 2009 Edge, no projectors or anything, all stock.

Sylvania light guide shows me H11 for both headlight and foglight applications. Can someone verify the foglight?

Edited by briandye

So far, no one has complained of HIDs (even at 55W) melting their housings, stock lights are 55W (hi's are 65W). Should be fine.

Normally, would not need a harness with at 35W kit, a few exceptions do apply due to some variability in the Edge's electrical systems. I'd order harnesses if you are pressed for time to begin with, otherwise wait and see. Do allow for other other faulty componentry including bulbs/ballasts. Patience. May even want to order double the kits to have replacements on hand, tho that is no guarantee.

Foglights are H11.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Thanks for the info, I went with a 55w 6000k kit with a harness.

I've only recently bought newer cars like this, so this "pulsed" electronic systems and whatnot are foreign to me, all my first vehicles were straight power and heavier gauge wiring so there was no error eliminators, canbus, etc lol.

HID Bulbs draw HUGE power when igniting then settle down to less power than halogens when operating. Therein lies the problem. Capacitors are recommended by many sellers to work around this problem but I find the battery to be the ultimate capacitor ;)

Folks have posted on here that they have used capacitors and it worked while others say it didnt do any good.

Considering the Body Control module provides the power for the headlights I would rather not fry that thing over not wanting to install a harness with a relay.

Edited by 12Edge
  • Like 1

My headlights are very weak and blurry. I installed HID kit thinking that would solve the problem and it did. My visibility went up exponentially and was very pleased with the results. I went to a Ford dealer to align the height of the beam since they were pointing too high. When I got it back, they were aligned but the headlights now look very weak, unfocused etc. I checked the bulbs and swapped out the ballasts and didn't fix the issue. I asked the dealer what he had done to it, and they just said "we only aligned the headlights like you had asked". I really need the help since I drive in the mountains pretty regularly.

Usually if you're beam pattern isn't solid the bulb is not seated correctly. If you only have 2 tabs inserted you will get strange rings in the beam and the won't be centered or bright.

This isn't my video but it shows what I'm talking about. The left beam has a bad ring rather than solid light and these beams actually cross in just a few feet.

Have you checked the bulb installations? Maybe they put OEM bulbs back in or otherwise fiddled with their position in the headlight? Also, are the lenses on the headlights clear, or are they aged/yellow/etc?

The headlights are clear practically new looking. I checked the seating of the bulbs and double checked the wiring and everything looks correct. I don't get the rings, but it's not as powerful as it should look. I may just buy a new setup and just get the 35w ballasts instead of the 55w which are in it right now. I know this is a different car/headlight housing but in my Mazda 3 the beam is crisp, wide and clear beam with the 35w and they look more powerful than the 55w that's currently in the Edge. In that video clip, even though they weren't installed properly, they are look way more crisp than mine...

The headlights are clear practically new looking. I checked the seating of the bulbs and double checked the wiring and everything looks correct. I don't get the rings, but it's not as powerful as it should look. I may just buy a new setup and just get the 35w ballasts instead of the 55w which are in it right now. I know this is a different car/headlight housing but in my Mazda 3 the beam is crisp, wide and clear beam with the 35w and they look more powerful than the 55w that's currently in the Edge. In that video clip, even though they weren't installed properly, they are look way more crisp than mine...

Can you try to post pictures of your beam pattern about 5 feet from a wall and then about 15 feet

I have the 35w on the left and the 55w on the right

What kit are you using? The beam pattern looks good, but the color looks terrible. Either their is something wrong with the kit, which is rather unlikely because it's even on both sides, or your color temperature is just to high to get a really clean light. It looks like 8000K+, it's very purple in these images. At 55w you should be at about 5000K for the best output.

They're actually supposed to be 55w 4300k. it's a 2012 edge and it's always parked in the garage during the daytime and they're not fogged one bit. I have a relay kit installed directly from the battery. I ordered new bulbs to see if the one's I have are toast... They're supposed to be mailed by the end of this week. Could there be any spacing issues between the bulb and the housing cause everything looks flush. On the lower image, the beam used to hit the side of the right wall... Now it doesn't after ford "aligned" them...

I must say, I appreciate the help and feedback from everyone!!! I'm almost to the point that I will ready take a bat to the headlights and buy new ones...

Does the '12 Edge use a mechanical shutter to switch from Hi to Lo Beam? Could a malfunction with the shutter cause this type of problem?

I don't think so, that would just make the beam cutoff higher. Unless the shutter malfunctioned and to compensate they aimed the bulbs really low at the dealer. I have the Morimoto 55w 5000k Kit and for me at 15 feet away there is no defined beam pattern like you have, it's just solid even light. The only thing that makes sense to me at this point would be something in the relay not providing enough power. It would be very unlikely for both ballasts, both bulbs, or both shutters to fail at the exact same time. The bulb color seams very strange too, even when mine first fire they are nowhere near that purple.