Cold Air Intake

Hi everyone....

Looking to see if anyone has any ideas on where I can get a cold air intake like K&N or AFE. I have seen a few minor posts on this topic here, but no one seems too interested in increasing the horse power out of their new toy.

Personally I find this vehicle to be one of the nicest on the road, while very practical. I'd love to make this a little more aggressive both in the sound and HP category.

Any suggestions.

Unless you have a dyno, you don't really know if that is snake oil or not. Those induction boxes are tuned and set up at the factory for max performance. I can tell you that those K&N type filters will lead to accelerated engine wear, because of elevated silicone residues in the oil, attributed to poorer filtration than a standard filter.

07 MKX....boy, i don't know about that. I have used k&n filters in all my mustangs, incl a supercharged saleen, and i never saw the problems u mention. Because i can't see inside my engine, u could have a point. But don't u think k&n has done extensive research to make sure the things u mentioned do not happen. Just an honest opinion..as is yours. I did dyno my saleen mustang after every mod (there were alot), and i did gain 10.5hp with the K&N filtercharger system.

07 MKX....boy, i don't know about that. I have used k&n filters in all my mustangs, incl a supercharged saleen, and i never saw the problems u mention. Because i can't see inside my engine, u could have a point. But don't u think k&n has done extensive research to make sure the things u mentioned do not happen. Just an honest opinion..as is yours. I did dyno my saleen mustang after every mod (there were alot), and i did gain 10.5hp with the K&N filtercharger system.

Great to hear, got any before and after plot's?

here is a good filter to add to the pipe's.. you don't have to wet it either and comes in a conical shape too.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaar.aspx

/edit:

Elevated Si from Used Oil Analysis, shows the dirt infiltration.

Crap here is the link I was meaning to put in.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx

Edited by 07 MKX

I had a 97 Explorer 4.0 that I put a K&N filter on. I could definitely hear and feel a difference. A guy drove it one time and asked if it had the V8 in it.

The only issue I had that seemed to be related to this filter was the IAC Valve (I think that's what it was called-Idle Air Control Valve?). Over the course of 80,000+ miles with the K&N I had to replace it twice. The first time a friend of my dad's that worked at a Ford dealer helped me replace it and get the check engine light off. The second time, I had to go direct to a dealer for the fix. When I told them it was the second time I've had to replace it the service tech said it was becuase of the K&N filter.

One day I'll have one (or an equivalent) on my Edge.

heyy thats my car in that pic hahah.....the intake makes the car sound like a G35 and not only in my opinion i have had plenty of kids tell me the same thing....its fun to get on it sometimes and have people turn lookin for some sport compact whipping around but nope its just the EDGE GET ONE!!

P.S. the kit also comes with a ram air attachment which if you get creative you could actually lead the tubing to where the factory opening is and its good to go also invest in the screw clamps and be extremely carful screwing the MASS AIR METER into the new intake because it is aluminum and once stripped would need re-tapping and thats a whole new ball game because they are welded-in bolts have fun

Dated info. This is a test using the square air filters shipped in the 3.5L engines. Notice the pictures after 500 miles, later in the article.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

That was a great report! Thanks for the link. I too have had several Ford F150's that I added K&N FIPK's to. I am a fanatic on maintenance and cleanliness. I liked the look and sound of the K&N but I never really noticed any HP gain. But then again 10% of 250 HP is hard to feel, now 10% of 800HP would be much easier to feel. I know a man that worked at Hypertech for several years. He did programming and spent the most part of his days on the Dyno. He said you actually had to duct tape a filter till there was about 1 square inch of Paper Filter left open before you saw a decrease on the dyno. He laughed and said that buying CAI systems were a waste on a basic stock engine. Adding High Flow Exhaust, a CAI and a power program was still a pretty basic stock engine and quite honestly for the money you get very little in return. Yes you do get satisfaction that you have done some modifications and they look and sound cool, but what performance do you really get for that money.

There are millions of people that will find great exception to this, most of them have never had their mean machine on a Dyno and don't have a clue if their investment paid off, however that won't stop them from making big claims of how great their decision was.

I have a forcewinder CAI with a K&N on it attached to my 2000 Harley and it helped a great deal. Was it the Filter or the elbow that sticks out in the wind? Probably both. I have a K&N in my 96 Polaris 250 Trailblazer also and it helped, but then again that engine has been bored, an oversize Wiseco Piston a Shaved head and ported and polished intake.

My point is that in many situations a K&N or other brand can and does help an engine, but I believe you sacrifice some filtration, and I also don't think you actually achieve anything by adding a CAI to a bone stock engine.

If Ford thought it would be better for your Auto they would have added it at the factory.

Just my opinion.

SRE

Edited by sengland

There are millions of people that will find great exception to this, most of them have never had their mean machine on a Dyno and don't have a clue if their investment paid off, however that won't stop them from making big claims of how great their decision was.

If Ford thought it would be better for your Auto they would have added it at the factory.

I've seen people use the Butt Dyno and report that they can tell how much better and more power they get with just a change in the brand of oil they use. LOL.

When you put a vehicle on a Dyno, I'd think it's almost impossible NOT to get a printout.. At least I know I got one when I did it. Then again, it cost me each time it was done.

This vehicle is called BOLD AMERICAN DESIGN, (someday a fordedgeforum 'FEF' member name I'm sure) a CD3 platform. You've got people moving into it from ricer's, who to them it was putting a Borla exhaust on a Civic, and whining it out, and that is powerrrrrr......... zoom zoom.

I punched out 440 6pak's. You and I are like the old bulls on top of the hill. When you age, this is what happens. It will happen to them too.

Brush Guards sheesh

I've seen people use the Butt Dyno and report that they can tell how much better and more power they get with just a change in the brand of oil they use. LOL.

When you put a vehicle on a Dyno, I'd think it's almost impossible NOT to get a printout.. At least I know I got one when I did it. Then again, it cost me each time it was done.

This vehicle is called BOLD AMERICAN DESIGN, (someday a fordedgeforum 'FEF' member name I'm sure) a CD3 platform. You've got people moving into it from ricer's, who to them it was putting a Borla exhaust on a Civic, and whining it out, and that is powerrrrrr......... zoom zoom.

I punched out 440 6pak's. You and I are like the old bulls on top of the hill. When you age, this is what happens. It will happen to them too.

Brush Guards sheesh

I am certainly an old Bull and am very surprised I didn't get hate mail due to my post. On my F150's that I put the K&N FIPK's on and there was 4 of them, I never had the issues about the oil contaminating the mass air flow sensor or the temp sensor. I did like the sound and had either 40 series Mufflers or a Dynomax on them. They did sound good but when I added up the bills, I paid big bucks, for any imagined or implied performance enhancements.

I just didn't see the investment paying off.

Maybe my Butt Dyno is getting rusty. LOL

Thanks for the reply.

SRE