Adding Class III hitch to 2014 Edge with tow package

I'm waiting on delivery of my new 2014 Edge with tow package and researching my towing needs. I plan to tow a 17' Casita SD and a Class III hitch is recommended. A post from 2009 reported that the Curt hitch 13060 could be installed directly under the factory Class II hitch without modification. Today I see a hitch from Curt model C13067 recommended for the 2014 Edge. Has anyone here installed the c13067?

The dry weight of my trailer is 2500 lbs. I just measured tongue weight at 326 lbs with full propane and half a tank of water. I assume the water in back reduced the tongue weight a bit. Anyway 326 lbs is too close to the class II max of 350.

Any thoughts, comments or recommendations on the above will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know the answer to your question but I just had a Curt class III hitch installed on my 2013 SE that does not have the factory tow pkg and it is definitely robust compared to a class II hitch. I know it is overkill for my truck since i am limited on weight i can tow without the oversize radiator and fans but hey, bigger is better, right? B)

• Like 1

Your within the range, I wouldn't change a thing. The vehicle was designed with a class 2 hitch, so going above that allowed weight might put extra stress on other parts of the chassis, as long as you don't exceed the maximum allowed weight (trailer & tong) then don't sweat it. Remember that when designers state maximum or minimum numbers, there is always a factor of safety included.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Class II vs Class II is weight distribution. I have the factory Class II and I had the Class III installed to tow our RV which has similar weight (19', 2650 lbs dry). WD is required if you are going to tow that trailer. The weight of that trailer will cause the front wheels to be too light on the road and will reduce maneuverability considerably. the factory hitch can probably hold your trailer but it doesn't have the WD characteristics of the Class III and you will definitely notice it. I assume you have weight distribution/ torsion bars with this trailer? then you need a Class III hitch. it's no longer a question of exceeding the limit of the factory hitch, but a question of drivability and safety. I posted a pic of my RV attached to my Edge here

Sandbanks 2013

• 1 year later...

I'm dealing with the same issue with my 14 Edge with the factory tow package. It came with the Class II hitch with the 2x2 receiver, but it looks like it does not support a WD hitch. Did your Edge come from the factory with the tow package? If it did, did you remove the factory hitch before installing the class III hitch? I talked to a technician at etrailer.com and they said there is a Curtis hitch (# C13067) that will bolt on and sit below the factory hitch. I'm not sure about this, and even if it does, do I really need/want a second hitch sticking out the back of my Edge?

Anyone know how easy it is to remove the factory hitch?

Thanks,

Denis Savard

Anaheim, CA

2014 Edge SEL

1997 Fleetwood/Coleman pop up trailer