SD Card navigation question

What does it say in the upper right corner of the screen? If it says Information or something like that then it probably doesn't have navigation. If it did it would say something about the missing navigation card.

You can also see if ETIS will give you build info using your VIN:

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=61409F9301720474F6A1690DF72AF507.eccvas511

• 2 weeks later...

The Nav software checks a flag that says whether it's supposed to be installed or not. There is no getting around it. Dealers can't change the flag. Even factory workers can't change it. Only a few engineers at Ford have the software to change it.

Just buy a TomTom or use your phone.

The Nav software checks a flag that says whether it's supposed to be installed or not. There is no getting around it. Dealers can't change the flag. Even factory workers can't change it. Only a few engineers at Ford have the software to change it.

Just buy a TomTom or use your phone.

Seems like really bad planning and a missed oppurtunity for money which is odd for a dealership.

Seems like really bad planning and a missed oppurtunity for money which is odd for a dealership.

Ford controls it, not the dealership. The dealership has nothing to do with it. And Ford isn't missing out on that much money because people who want Nav will just order it or buy one with it.

OTOH - if they made it too easy to add aftermarket then you'd have a lot of buyers who would not buy it from the factory but would add it for free (from Ford's standpoint at least). So Ford would probably lose a lot more money by allowing it to be field upgraded.

Again - it's not a technical issue to do it. It could easily be done but it's hard to come up with a way to ensure that it can only be done with a Ford factory kit that can't be copied or duplicated or used in more than one vehicle at a time.

It's the opposite, it's good planning from Ford to make sure they get the most money possible.

If 20% of the people pay $800 for the factory navigation or 80% of the people pay $200 for a nav card from the dealer, which one makes Ford more money?

Edited by Waldo

• 2 weeks later...

It's the opposite, it's good planning from Ford to make sure they get the most money possible.

If 20% of the people pay $800 for the factory navigation or 80% of the people pay $200 for a nav card from the dealer, which one makes Ford more money?

Seems like they could make more on after sale activations though, instead of letting the system that is perfectly capable go to waste like having an HD tv and watching SD channels.

Seems like they could make more on after sale activations though, instead of letting the system that is perfectly capable go to waste like having an HD tv and watching SD channels.

You're assuming that everyone who wanted a nav system would either buy one new or buy the factory add-on. That's not what would happen. People would stop buying the factory system new and would instead buy the hacked one from someone for half the price and Ford gets nothing.

This way the people who want factory Nav will buy it from the factory. The ones that didn't get it from the factory but are willing to pay factory prices for it to be added later are few and far between.

• 8 months later...

I just bought a 2011 edge for the wife, and I just bought a A5 sd card...which reading from above will not work. So I have another question about the turn by turn directions that is offered by SYNC for $60.00 a year, will that work in my car before I spend the money on something else that won't work???

I just bought a 2011 edge for the wife, and I just bought a A5 sd card...which reading from above will not work. So I have another question about the turn by turn directions that is offered by SYNC for $60.00 a year, will that work in my car before I spend the money on something else that won't work???

Hi Zwayne,

SYNC Services will work in your Edge, but you'll have to create a SYNC account at www.Support.Ford.com in order to purchase and use it. If you've already made your account, just log in and click PERSONALIZE SYNC SERVICES. For more information, check this out:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/sync-services-overview-sync-myford-touch

Let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

Before you spend $60 on sync services check out some retailers like best buy or walmart.. many garmon,tomtoms 1 time fee of $60 or $70 & have gadget for life

Be Glad you do not have a Lincoln mkx vs the edge- ford rapes you $199 for the sync services... I personally like 408-752-8052- the information line powered by 24 7. Has same reports & same reporters & offers many of the identical sync services features FOR FREE!!!

Check them all out before you decide what works best for your family

Edited by drpepper